HybridZ

Do I really need a catch can for the catch can??

HeatRaveR

On my '82 280ZX Turbo, the radiator coolant catch can/tank has a smaller catch can attached to it (my non-turbo doesn't have this). The cap of the primary can has a hose that leads to the smaller tank. Can anyone tell me what the point of the catch can having a catch can is?? Why not just have one big can? Do I need to keep that extra can if I get an aftermarket radiator?

I'm guessing (so take it for what it's worth) that the turbo system has more water in the system and therefore needs more expansion volume which meant that the N/A expansion tank was then too small so Nissan decided it would be easier / cheaper to add a second expansion tank to the turbo version instead of developing a single bigger tank.

Cameron

I do notice that after driving the car, the main can does look like it's nearing the top with fluid. Just wondering if an aftermarket radiator, which is theoretically more efficient, would cool the fluid better, such that it wouldn't expand as much.

Nope, the temperature of the fluid and it's cold volume is drectly proportional to the expanded volume, so there would be two ways to decrease the expanded volume, use a radiator like JTR which holds less fluid than stock, or put a cooler thermostat on it. The latter solution will not work if your car does not cool efficiently say when you are dragging or sitting at a light where the temperature can spike higher.

On my system the electric fan is set about 10 degrees higher then the thermostat, I've driven to work 25 miles without ever hearing the fan come on in the morning and I've never seen the temperature (still original gage) go more than 1 mm over 1/2 way. In about 1 minute even on a cold morning it'll rise rather quickly to a hair under 1/2 way, then if I push it it'll go to the fan setpoint and sticks right there, if I go on the freeway and turn the heater on it will even go down tot he thermostat temperature again and stick there. I'll never go back to belt driven fan again, even in 90+ degree weather the fan does not come on on the freeway.

Another testimonial for the JTR radiator, it was about 80F and I had removed the fuse to the fan when I was working under the hood but forgot to put it back, I drove it to work the next morning and it was about 50F so I didn't hear the fan on (you can hear it on idle when it is on along with the fuel pump and of course the engine), then I was driving to a friends house and when I stopped I noticed the fan was not on, I looked at the temp gage and it was about 2mm past the 1/2 way mark which was past the setpoint for the fan, I made it home throughthe neighborhood without ever seeing it get anywhere near the red, not even 3/4. Consider the original engine/radiator went to 3/4 on a hot day and it had a belt driven fan. So that radiator is pretty good.