HybridZ

5.0 swap 73 240z

Guest Ford boy

Guest Ford boy

ok yea im purchasing alsils mount for the motor but where can i get the mount for the tranny and a drive shaft also with the mount iv heard u have to cut the steering shaft whats the process with making that work all help is deffinatly helpfull.

ok yea im purchasing alsils mount for the motor but where can i get the mount for the tranny and a drive shaft also with the mount iv heard u have to cut the steering shaft whats the process with making that work all help is deffinatly helpfull.

Custom driveshaft is only like $150-200 bucks at a local auto shop or machine shop i believe. Also i do not think you need to cut the steering shaft depending on how you locate the block and what headers you use, I will be trying test fits this weekend so i will keep you posted. Also, tranny mount is the same as the JTR piece but i believe you have to drill a whole or only use two wholes or something of the sort. I think someone said that relocation of the oil pan sometimes isn't even necessary because there can be 1/8" or so of space between the front of the block and the x-member... Once again ill check it out this weekend. Hope that helped. PS search....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 240zgtr

On My Car I Have Stock Headers And They Fit Without Having To Modify The Steering Shaft Although It Is A Ery Snug Fit. But My Motor Still Sits Pretty Low And I'm Able To Close The Hood Without Any Problems.

240ZGTR-

Did you use Alsil's mount or make your own? Are you running EFI? This could explain why you didn't have steering shaft or hood clearance issues. If you did use this mount, how far back did you put the engine?

Ford boy-

I wasn't able to get the engine installed using this mount without cutting the steering shaft. It wasn't a big deal, I cut it where I needed the bend, purchased a steering u-joint and took the assembly to a welder I trust. As for the transmission mount, you can use the JTR mount and just drill it for the Ford transmission mount per Alsil's website or you can fab your own.

For the driveshaft, go to a reputable driveshaft shop and they will know exactly what to do. Most people purchase a T5 yoke with a Ford u-joint up front, a Chevy u-joint in the rear to the Chevy to Datsun yoke that bolts to the R200. All new parts and labor cost me less than $200.

Josh

Guest 240zgtr

No my set up doesnt use Alsil's mounts, it's custom. I bought the car with the swap already performed. It's an '88 5.0 with the EFI still on it. I have stock headers and on to them the previous owner had custom 3" exhaust welded on straight through. The engine sits pretty low, as low as I'd want it anyways. The oil pan doesnt bump on too many things and I can still close the hood no problem. It sits back about as far as it can go as well. The stock shifter bumped into the center console though so a knotch had to be cut in it for a quick fix. A pro 5.0 shifter should fix the clearance issue though, and I have a brand new console to replace the cut one.

well there is someone at work who "claimed" they knew html and i had them help update the pages but they seemed to make a lot of dead links and more work.

as for the "stock 5.0" headers i cannot see how you can "get it as far back as possible"?

my intake touched the stock hood latch(i had to modify it similar to the JTR chevy kit-

- the oil pan front bolt is within 1/4" as well from the cross member (on the bottom side) - i did try the original 5.0 headers with my engine in the current location and they would have been pushed directly into the firewall --

so either my stock 5.0 headers from a 91 are different or your engine is on top of the cross member and 2" ahead compared to mine..

FYI -- my engine layout is exactly the same as Dans'

74.. 5.0Z .. as i copied his layout from pictures he emailed me