HybridZ

Biggest downpipe on an L block ever? Details within...

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

I'll be adding these photos to my "ahh almost done" post, but yea, finished the welding on my downpipe tonight, many measures/cuts/tacs/welds later... the final product, and i'm extreamly happy w/ how well it turned out, i feel i could have actually held off on radiusing down to 3" a little longer in the piping, but i did it earlier on to play it safe.

follows the transmission bell housing nicely, doesn't come near the frame rails or firewall, just good even gapping all around.

i hugged the trans. support arch on purpose to allow more room along the curves of the trans. tunnel, i'll probally factor in a bend when i finish fabbing up the midsection to re-center the piping in the trans. support arch.

either way, here it is... biggest downpipe on an L block ever i think possibly? 3.75" initial to 3" just before it tucks under the firewall... getting much closer to having a L block running on holset power.

3502_p96123.jpg

3502_p96126.jpg

3502_p96124.jpg

3502_p96125.jpg

best part of the whole deal is... with that over 4" O.D. initial downpipe, i have LOTS of real estate in which to choose where to mount the 2 o2 bungs that i'll have running on the car... one for all the time narrowband, and one for the occasional use of mikes LM-1.

and since i'm damn near broke, i also feel i should mention to anyone interested, i do have a HX35w for sale, i could even mock it up on my car and fabricate a downpipe for the buyer and create a package deal! pm for inquiries.

oh and in the end this downpipe will end up being ceramic coated black like my manifold and turbo exhaust housing as well, will really help fight the heat soak issues, and it helps keep appearances decieving when on-lookers should be poking about under the hood :-D

Guest 73Turbo240z
I'll take one dp for $9.99 Looks good. Did welding the cast to steel give you any problems? Have you decided on what muffler you are going to run or just open pipe?

I wish the DP was that cheap to make... welding cast to the mild wasn't a problem, we pre-heated the cast w/ a torch and welded while it was still hot...

After cool down and clean off we checked the welds, they're solid and got through, so the penetration was there, the weld is thick... she's good to go... we'll have one more round of welding for installing the 02 bungs though.

As for muffler, some flow through dynomax thing... i want the least restriction possible, and it's all exiting the rear of the car anyway, so it won't be cabin noise like when we ran yours open DP. Should workout fine.

Guest 73Turbo240z
MY GOD! You do have a big one! :wink:

lol, speaking of...

were building a buddies grand national next to my Z, we got our intercoolers and i saw his and was like...

"well damnit, yours is bigger, i can't fit that on my car, i've got freaking intercooler envy."

to which he retorted somthing to the effect of "it's o.k. not everyones cut out to have a big one" and walks off laughing...

fast forward to later that night... me, him and his gf are in the shop, were mocking up one of my intercooler pipes... he's looking at it and goes "wow it's alot longer than i thought", and i reply promptly with "yea i get that alot" then mumbled "intercooler envy my ***" and walked off...

we both found it terribly amusing...

anyway... back to the subject... yea size is cool and all, i just want the damn thing to spool.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Watch out for ur poly bushings my 3 inch downpipe melted them down.....

dang that thing is huge looks very noice.

i've got pretty good clearance all around, any idea on what the spacing was between your downpipe and the poly bushings? i can always add a layer of DEI wrap after ceramicoating if needed.

i've got pretty good clearance all around, any idea on what the spacing was between your downpipe and the poly bushings? i can always add a layer of DEI wrap after ceramicoating if needed.

I say more than 2 inches not sure... my car is at the body shop right now.

I just wraped my downpipe with header blanket that kept it cool. and didnt melt the new ones.

I was going to say hope your wrapping it. My 3" DP is pretty much the same as the one you made. And it has burnt the paint on my firewall....I'm now wrapping it. I put 1 layer on and it still gets so damn hot so I'm gonna do a few more layers. And the DP aint right next to the firewall either there is a bit of space.