HybridZ

How not to remove a stuck strut

CruxGNZ

Mat... just wanted to tell ya that i live by your fathers words...

everytime at work, and i mean EVERYTIME something doesnt fit or wont come out or anything i always say... "hold up let me get my hammer"..

its my best tool!

mike

Mat... just wanted to tell ya that i live by your fathers words...

Well, here is the conversation that took place...

My Ma' - "Mike, how did you get the garbage disposal to work... I thought it was broken?"

My Dad - "(in a serious voice) I hit it with a hammer."

My Ma' - "You did what?!!"

My Dad - "(with a smile on his face) Everything works better when you hit it with a hammer."

I still laugh at that. :mrgreen:

Guest JAMIE T

I still don't understand WHY they get that stuck. I've been able to get all of mine out(I've done it about 6 times to various sets), but some of them have been a bitch! The method that seems to work the best is to bolt a peice of 1-1/2 x 1/2 flat bar to the top nut part and using it like a slide hammer in a VERY sturdy vise.

Next time I might try it that way Matt. Maybe strap one end to a telephone pole.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the strut tube, fill it with penetrating oil, wait a couple days, and then hit the insert with with an air hammer through the hole. Hasn't failed me yet and I've disassembled about 40 strut assemblies.

But playing tug-o-war with trucks is more fun. Hopefilly the Chevy didn't lose a grill or the Ford didn't end up with a dented tailgate.

Better yet...drill a small hole in the bottom then fill with gun powder and ignite. Point in direction of neighbor's house..... If I remember correctly the truck pull was not that effieient of a seperation..... for my selection : lead hammer ...brass hammer various ball peens....steel hammer and 5 pound sledge...rubber mallet usually a waste of time