HybridZ

Welding Class Selection Help

tfreer85

Okay, I'm looking at taking a welding class at my local Junior College. However, I'm a pretty big newb when it comes down to welding and wanted your guys' opinion on what class you think I should take. My goal is to be able to weld motor mounts, intakes, exhaust systems (manifolds, down-pipes, etc.). I know a lot of this will take practice to create quality work but your opinions would be appreciated:

32261 WELD B1AB - Intro to the Welding Processes

Recommended: Reading Level 5 or 6. Description: Properties and characteristics of metals and a survey of metal welding processes. Safety, theory, and practical experience in oxy-acetylene welding and cutting, shielded metal arc, PAC, MIG, TIG, submerged ARC, resistance welding and joint design, codes and weld testing.

32263 WELD B53B - Shielded Metal Arc Welding

Recommended: Reading Level 5 or 6. Description: Basic arc welding theory and manipulative skills related to the shielded metal are welding process, including welding in all positions with various electrodes.

32270 WELD B74A - TIG and MIG Welding

Recommended: WELD B1A or WELD B53A or one year work experience as a welder. Description: Theory and application of TIG, MIG Fluxcore, and Submerged welding processes. Emphasizes safe and proper operation of these welding processes while welding on mild steel, aluminum, and stainless steel.

WELD B90 - General Welding

Description: Entry-level welding skill development in modern welding and cutting processes, theory and practice. Note: For registration information contact the Applied Science and Technology Department at 395-4285. Students cannot register by telephone or the web for this section.

Thanks again,

Tyson

tig and mig would be more useful more automotive applications, take that, and if they offer a lab where you just weld, take that too...but you should probably take the basic class first, just try to focus all you can on tig [for welding ss and alum] and mig [mild steel, all your body/chassis stuff] though, as those are the processes you'd most likely be using...i took smaw becasue i didn't know what to take, so now i have to learn mig to do my floor and firewall...

Learn for what type of welder you want to have. I agree with Lunar240z that TIG and MIG are the best bet. Who here wants to learn to weld underwater ( class B1AB)? You can learn the basics for MIG welding steel well enough with less than a hour of good instruction. There's tons of info and videos available but IMO you have to have the welder in your hand and some guidance for the harder problems to be proficient. Take the class that lets you weld they material you want to be welding. I think you'll want to be in B74A but you need the fill the prerequisite. Lunar240z, I didn't know you had taken classes, with more time I'd have let you weld your intake. Is it on the car yet?

Learn for what type of welder you want to have. I agree with Lunar240z that TIG and MIG are the best bet. Who here wants to learn to weld underwater ( class B1AB)? You can learn the basics for MIG welding steel well enough with less than a hour of good instruction. There's tons of info and videos available but IMO you have to have the welder in your hand and some guidance for the harder problems to be proficient. Take the class that lets you weld they material you want to be welding. I think you'll want to be in B74A but you need the fill the prerequisite. Lunar240z, I didn't know you had taken classes, with more time I'd have let you weld your intake. Is it on the car yet?

Yeah, it's on the car, i just wanted it done so i could get my car running, which has not happened yet, i still need to fix a few things. i posted a thread of it done.. all the welds grinded down, but with it not mounted. search for "euro balance tube" if you want to see it.

I myself don't have my own welder, and the teacher doesn't like us bringing projects in, he's kinda strict, so wouldn't have had a chance to get it done in my class... thanks again though PeterZ