HybridZ

t5 VS t56!

• Administrators

As for the electro to mechanical Speedo thing with the world class T-5, yes you can just remove the elctro doohickey by removing the bolt that holds the clamp, then just pull the elctro drive straight out then go down to your local Chevy dealer parts counter and they will sell you a mechanical drive for your speedo for dirt cheap. My world class T-5 also came with the electro goodie. All you have to do is go down to any Chevy dealership and they will sell you the mechanical drive for the Speedo cable, then all you need is either the JTR speedo cable or to have a local speedo shop make you a GM-Datsun speedo cable. Back in ‘97/’98 this little adapter, over the GM parts counter, only cost me like $13. I originally used the JTR Speedo cable, but after only a few hundred miles the cable broke so I had a local speedo shop make me another one for the same price as the JTR and it lasted until I sold the power train, over 15,000 miles. Also, I used the JTR 90 degree speedo cable adaptor doohickey which has .66 ratio, and with my 3.9 ratio diff and 195 60 HR 14” tires, my speedo was DEAD NUTS on.

Well I wish i was home. I have a T56 that I will let go for a built 700R4. I just dont like manuals...getting to old I guess. Its in my BBC 396 Z. Well maybe it will be a better trade in 3 to 5 years lol.....it will be in storage at least that long......booo. Oh I may have the 396 complete with mounting cradle also for sale in the future.....I really want to put a 700R4 and 350 or 383 in her....

Terry

A couple of reasons, the weight is one and the heads are stock on the 396 so its def just a cruiser at this point. A decent set of heads would really light her up but BB heads AFR are like 3K plus!!!! Hell I can get a entire 383 short block for that. Dont get me wromg the BBZ is awesome and has a wow factor like no other but Id rather have that gravitational pull in the pants from a 383 with less weight and a little more room in the engine bay. I have always been an auto guy as well,,,something about touch and go and just hold on.

Other than that there is no reason really. However I may just swap a 454 in the future too....who knows! Having something rare and unique is also cool.

Terry

BRAAP,

You're correct. I did some more searching and found a picture of the unit from a Camaro World Class T5 on page 12-4 of JTR's TPI/TBI Manual. It is gear driven so it's possible to replace it with a mechanical drive unit by just removing a replacing it.

Wheelman

Go to D&D's website and scope the parts to customize one. D&D's tech line is GREAT and they can tell you what you'll need to fortify your T5. They also have all the diagrams online for you to do it yourself. Use a Digicam or video cam when you disassemble your tranny and you won't have any re-assembly issues.

What is D&D? What is their website?

Thanks.

A couple of reasons' date=' the weight is one and the heads are stock on the 396 so its def just a cruiser at this point. A decent set of heads would really light her up but BB heads AFR are like 3K plus!!!! Hell I can get a entire 383 short block for that. Dont get me wromg the BBZ is awesome and has a wow factor like no other but Id rather have that gravitational pull in the pants from a 383 with less weight and a little more room in the engine bay. I have always been an auto guy as well,,,something about touch and go and just hold on.

Other than that there is no reason really. However I may just swap a 454 in the future too....who knows! Having something rare and unique is also cool.

Terry[/quote']

:eek2: Proof that aliens do come down in human form and take the place of innocent people. I guess if you've traveled 100 light-years a manual transmission seems passe. Good to see however that even an advanced race of exterestial beings choose SBC.

If you really want power density, you can't beat Rotary, but for SBC's Aluminum block would be a good choice. Perhapse you could make a 383 out of an LS1? Sounds fun.