HybridZ

Braided brake lines (again)

Guest grimlynsan

Guest grimlynsan

I have searched (rather extensively) but have not found...

I want to upgrade my s12w vented setup to braided lines. I didn't have the $$$s when I did the initial install.

I found a place that will make them up for me. All I have to do is tell them the length I want the hose as well as the fittings for each end.

I want to get rid of the hard line that's down there entirely. i.e have the braided line go directly from the caliper to the fitting on the body.

My questions are:

1. How long should i ask for the hose to be made (should there be lots of slack for turning and suspension travel or anything like that)

2. The most important question: what kind of fittings are they? I have no idea what I should ask for. Other posts talk of 'banjo fittings' but I have never heard this term before. When I changed the calipers, the short hardline unscrewed from the caliper. Obviously I don't know about the other end.

Here is a picture in case my text is non-sensical

braided_lines.JPG

So please fill in the gaps for me:

Hi, I need a braided line that is x inches/cms long. At one end of the hose the fitting needs to be a y and at the other end it needs to be a z. thanks

x = ?

y = ?

z = ?

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

measure the hard line and the flex line and add them together, thats the length you want. But, why do you want to get rid of the hard line? I got russell lines from autozone, around $90 for all 4 that I used for my s12w/280zx 4 wheel conversion and they worked fine.

Banjo fittings are where the hose ends in an "O" shape and a bolt with holes in it goes through the banjo and into the caliper. Not what we have. We have metric threaded ends, which might be a problem for your manufacturer.

Guest grimlynsan

the length is not a problem (i was going to use the obvious method you mentioned)

Metric shouldn't be a prob either as i live in Australia and (almost) everything is metric anyway.

I don't really have a good reason for wanting to replace the hard bit apart from the fact that it is old and crummy. I think it will look better and will remove a link from the chain of things that could (but probably wont) break/leak etc.

I suppose its a bit of the 'while i'm at it i'll...' syndrome.

Does anyone know what the fittings are called/what size they are?

thanks.

P.S: 2003z, I love your car. My vision for my car is based on a cross between yours and sr240zs'. It was pictures of your fine vehicle that led to the purchase of some ZG flares!

and I'm 99.9% sure they are M10x1.0 in size. Your best bet to confirm that is go to your local hardware store and buy a bolt in that size, and ensure that it is the correct thread for the caliper. I powdercoat calipers for a side living, and I'm certain that is the size bolt I use to plug the holes.

If you do end up replacing the hard line with the braided, I would suggest getting one end of the new braided line with a 90deg fitting on it. I think it would be easier to route your new line out of the way with the 90 fitting off the back of the caliper instead of of the line shooting straight out. That's the way mine are.