HybridZ

Heavy Pressure plate=poor hi rpm shifts

datsunan

John, what are my options for a better tranny and how much more do I need to spend?

The GForce T5 I've installed in a customer car was provided by the customer. He says he paid $2,500 for it. The work I've had to do to install it is:

1. Build trans mount. The mount on the Datsun tailshaft sits back 1.5" farther then on the normal 240Z 4 and 5 speeds.

2. Source a Ford 28 spline yoke.

3. Have a custom driveshaft built that connects the Ford yoke to the Datsun rear flange (R180).

4. Install a new roller pilot bearing.

5. Install the clutch.

6. Source the Tilton 800 slave cylinder.

7. Machine a custom slave cylinder pedestal.

8. Machine the T5 snout to match the slave cylinder and pedestal length.

9. Plumb the slave cylinder.

10. Bolt everything up.

11. Build an adjustable clutch pedal stop.

12. Bleed the clutch system.

13. Install the driveshaft.

Probably $5,500 total for the GForce T5, Quartermaster 7.25" Super Pro Clutch, Tilton 800 clutch release system, install, plumb, and test everything.

I ran a 2600lb pressure plate and a sintered iron disc for over 2 years with a mix of mostly stock Nissan parts and have had no problems.The clutch master is a unit from a 280z the slave is from a 1985 720 pickup the clutch fork and rod are from a 1970 510 .The fork and rod are setup to be adjustable and this gives the option of making the rod any length needed.The fork is then renforced at the point the rod goes through.