HybridZ

rb25/autometers?

Guest speedstar

Guest speedstar

hey guys i have a 74 datsun z and am putting a rb25de-t into it and was wondering if i put the autometer guages in it will the speedo and tach and fuel level guages read correct?

i know the fuel level might not be 100% acurate but will the speedo and tach work wired to the rb25 harness?

please help.

500.00 bucks is a lot to spend on new guages if they arnt going to work!

500.00 bucks is a lot to spend on new guages if they arnt going to work!

Shoot, I paid that much just for my boost gauge and the fuel preasure gauges...

Try buying 9 of them, all electrical... As far as the speedo, I'm sure you will need to go electrical, as the RB25 trans I have has the sensor for speed.

The tac is another story. Depends where you want to hook it to. If your trying to use the RB wiring harness, I can't help.

The fuel level is another small problem area if you are keeping the oem tank/sender. I belive guys have used the AutoMeter hooked to the oem stuff, and it reads close. You just need to search the archives to see what model meter they used...

Hope this helps you some...

Guest speedstar

but the rb engine and harness should have a vehicle speed senser on it some where so if i use a autometer electrical speedo and we hook it to the vehicle speed sensore it should work right? and as for the tach couldnt i just cut the harness off the wires that go to the rb tach and wire them to the autometer? oil pressure and water temp should both be machanical though right?

Guest JAMIE T
if you are using the RB harness you will need the MSD Tach Adapter for distrubutorless engines. You can buy it through summit. You could run a mechanical speedo and put a mechanical sensor into the RB tranny as well.

I guess this is not the answer you had in mind?

I guess this is not the answer you had in mind?

I think that he is trying to keep the wireing as simple as possible. Nevermind that it will take forever to track down the right wire, and he'll still need the MSD adapter. :twak:

If your getting a Autometer Tach, why not get the matching Speedo?:confused2

BTW you shouldn't throw stone in a glass house, name calling is not a good idea!

As for me I want to find a way of keeping the stock tach. I'm going for the stealth look. The speedo is easier since there is a company called Abbott Enterprises making an adapter called a Cable X. It costs about as much as a new Elec. speedo. so if no one can help me wire the stock tach to the RB I'll just get all new gauges for the car.

So tell me Jamie T, do you know how to hook up the stock tach?

Guest JAMIE T
just a little research in the archives would have stoped this thread from turning to shet.....

Agreed!

I looked back and perhaps I was a bit hard on the newb, so I took it upon myself to delete my posts. Newb, I am sorry for causing you such pain, and apologize for my remarks. Enjoy your stay here at HybridZ.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to have let this go on so long didn’t realize it had gotten little fugly in here.

The rb25 tranny does have an electrical sender that "should" work I did a bit of research when it was in my car just never got around to it. It has 2 wires coming out... a ground and a power. The tach has I believe a couple wires also. All it does is reads the pulses from the sender. The tach would have to be calibrated to the speed of the car to the speed of the pulses there are detailed instructions on how to do this on the autometer web page in the instruction section.

As far as the tach.... the car I got my new motor from had an autometer tach hooked up to it with no special adapters and it worked fine. Ask over at skylines down under they deal with nothing but skyline stuff and should have the answer readily available. I would search as you will probably get slammed over there to for asking such a "simple" question without searching first.

In the future any post that goes bad ie name calling and crap lie that will be delt with swiftly. Keep the post of a technical or friendly nature and we won’t have problems.

For those of you who think I'm being too harsh read the rules and guidlines at the top of the page.