HybridZ

turbo on n/a L28 turbo comp/harness ran great now wont start?

big-phil

read my profile for specs, when I first put it all together it started sputtering, then I switched from CAS on block to CAS in dizzy. Ran great for about 2 days, went to parts store let it idel in the parking lot for about 5-10 min. when I drove off the car would not go over 2000 rpm. got home unplugged the CAS from dizzy plugged in the one on the block and it would rev over 2000 rpm but sputted at idel like before. Went to wreaking yard yesterday and got another dizzy with CAS in it, put it on, car runs mint, boost is great, runs perfect.

then I get home shut it off, try to start it and nothing. No spark, no power at the coil, no injector fire, tried plugging into the CAS on the block and still nothing. Then after about 30 min of jacking with it it starts and runs perfect. Now CAS is plugged back into the dizzy, went for drive. pulls hard no stumble. everything running great. I get home shut it off and try to imedietly start it again, nothing, no spark, no power at the coil, no injector fire?? I have a green light on the turbo ecu the whole time.

Green light is on, goes off when cranking, when I stop cranking light blinks one time then stays on. is that normal?

please help my wife is bitching that the car was just fine and did'nt need a turbo. of course we know otherwise, not only does it need a turbo but needs a bigger turbo......

GrayZee is the man!! its true, GrayZee was nice enough to p.m. me on and off all day........ALL DAY people! If you did,nt live in Canada (Oh....Canada-singing-) I'd like to take you out for a beer......"a"

GrayZee I was born and raised in Maine, so Canada is kinda like a 2nd home, our hockey team always played your hockey team, the national anthem, the use of the word "a".

Now I live in Texas, and the "word" y,all is thrown around about as much. But love it here as well.

My car is still running great! I had some problems with my O2 sensor, when hitting boost my air/fuel guage would drop like a rock to lean and never come back! so I replaced the O2 sensor $19.99 at Auto Zone and she reads much much better, shows that I was getting fuel after all and plenty of it!

Thanks for the kind comments.. :) Yeah, I had nothing better to do that day as I live in Canada and the roads here will be ice and snow covered til about April. I was at home on the computer when I wished that I was out driving me Z! I wish I could move to Texas every winter, and back up here in the summer to avoid your crazy heat. That way, I could drive the Z all the time!

just one note for future reference.. it may sound like "a" but in print it is "eh" :wink:

• 1 year later...

Phil i need your help big guy...

is there anyway you can help me with the wiring schematic from goin to na to turbo on an 82 280z i've changed the motor harness, ecu, and maf to the turbo version. fuel pump kicks on, injectors are firing, both sides of the coil have power but no fire from it to the distributor help me PLEASE i would love to start ringing doughnuts in this thing before the weekend :D

• Administrators
both sides of the coil have power but no fire from it to the distributor

Do you mean to say that you measure power on both sides or that you ran power to both sides? Former is correct and the latter is not.

You didn't mention anything about the coil trigger unit. (it's the little transistor mounted right beside/with the the factory turbo coil. Two wires to to that trigger unit. From there it powers the coil. If you removed the complete unit from the donor car you shouldn't have to mess with the actual coil terminals at all.

The coil trigger requires two connections..

1. 12V+ switched ignition source. Usually Black/white

2. Signal from ecu Yellow/white

well i have all that now but still no fire and i never had a donor car to pull out of i've had my head stuck in the back of a haynes book looking at wiring schematics for the past 2 weeks

You have all that NOW? Does that mean at one time you were trying to fire it with just the coil and no trigger? I wouldn't think the driver in the ecu would like a load like that... it might damage it. Sorry if I am jumping to conclusions but without more info I don't really know what to say..

ok i've got an update now... i have signal comming from my CAS to my computer.... i have signal goin from my computer to the ignitor through a y/w wire and i have a constant power on my ignitor through a b/w wire.... i get spark when i turn my key from the on position back to the acc position which is kinda weird but i don't have any fire when i turn my key to the start position the signal is still goin and i'm not losing my constant power and yes the signal is only sending when i'm turning the car over but i still don't understand why i ain't gettin fire when i'm turning the car over help me please!!!