HybridZ

Motor rebuld/refresh/inspeciton advice (Long)

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

:beatdeadh

More delays!!

I hope it is not harmful to start up, run it for a few minutes, and then shut down a motor during the cam break in. It says not to let the rpms drop below 1500, and It hasn't. But I supose I've had it running three times now for a minute or two and needed to shut it down to fix or adjust some unforseen complication.

It's so impressive to have the motor out and the next motor in in under two days. It is then so unimpressive to piddle around with it for two+ weeks and still not get the cam broke in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tony78_280z

I seem to be talking to myself lately LOL

Replaced the electric fuel pump, and broke in the cam. I then drove the car home. It is a bit more responsive than the 305 was, but it is still lacking someplace, It'll get figured out in the tuning I suspect. I need to get the timing set right, and then get the right weight of springs. I think I blew out my powervalve with a back fire. But, the car is at home, and the cam is broke in, so it's minor work form here.

Guest tony78_280z

:mrgreen:

Set timing to 10o+, Regapped plugs to 0.35. Fired right up and ran GREAT!

After the 100 mile cam break in, when I'm suposed to change the oil I'll re adjust the valves and this phase is done!! Wooo hooo!!

Guest tony78_280z

Done, never. I'll just move onto another "phase". Next phase is electrical garbage, then brakes and suspension, then bodywork. But I plan to drive it as much as possible during and in between phases.

To work and back again today. While there a buddy of mine, who didn't have alot of work to do, spent some time tinkering with it. He mainly set the timing more to spec witht he cam, and damn! I took it for a spin when he was done, and wasn't sure how much improvement, if any he made. I about crapped myself. He sure livened it up! I think there is still another 10-20hp to be found in it. Wow will it get up and go.

Tomarrow should be the 100 mile mark, so I'll be changing the oil and doing the final valve adjustments.

Thanks for all the info and help with my first (upper half) motor rebuild. Maybe someday I'll tackle the bottom half.