HybridZ

3.0 stroler L28

Guest DanielB1987

Guest DanielB1987

Has anyone here ever built the notorious LStroker Motor?

I've been reading up on it and i don't know if i wanna do it or not. Is it worth the money and how did it perform as opposed to a mildly built L28?

Where to find Maxima Deisel Crank?

Guest DanielB1987

Thanks smart azz. Ive been doing that. I wanted feedback from someone who I might be able to ask certain questions about the swap. Thats kinda why I posed it on a FORUM

Wow, you're not gonna last long with that attitude ;)

Search really, you will find lots of peoples advice and experiences with them.

Look at zhome.com for a generic tutorial and also check out rebelloracing.com.

Those two questions can be easily answered in the archives.

1. They make more torque and hp then a normal L28, but for the price its cheaper to go turbo or v8.

2. A maxima of course :) search junkyards and eBay

Mario

Guest DanielB1987

found nothing on ebay, autozone and o reilly of course, couldn't order anlything but an oil pump. They only made those deisel maximas three years so they are kinda scarce. No luck in local junkyards either.

found nothing on ebay, autozone and o reilly of course, couldn't order anlything but an oil pump. They only made those deisel maximas three years so they are kinda scarce. No luck in local junkyards either.

MSA sells a kit. You really should search. But off the top of my head I believe there are some 3.1's and 3.2's running around that make about 320-340 hp. It isn't bad, but it is high strung at that point. If you want to make more I think turbo will need to be used. As far as cost the MSA big bore kit is $1,800 (i looked it up) and then your going to want a cam with springs and all that $200, triple webers or mukinis $1000-1500 unless you want to go EFI, and I don't know some clutch components and what not $500. Assuming you are going from stock to that. So basically it is in the $3,500 range. Then of course we multiply by 1.5 because thats how budgets work. You are looking at spending $5,250 all things concidered. Just a rough estimate, really rough, seeing as I am a 5.0L Z guy. Just giving you an idea.

Guest DanielB1987
MSA sells a kit. You really should search. But off the top of my head I believe there are some 3.1's and 3.2's running around that make about 320-340 hp. It isn't bad, but it is high strung at that point. If you want to make more I think turbo will need to be used. As far as cost the MSA big bore kit is $1,800 (i looked it up) and then your going to want a cam with springs and all that $200, triple webers or mukinis $1000-1500 unless you want to go EFI, and I don't know some clutch components and what not $500. Assuming you are going from stock to that. So basically it is in the $3,500 range. Then of course we multiply by 1.5 because thats how budgets work. You are looking at spending $5,250 all things concidered. Just a rough estimate, really rough, seeing as I am a 5.0L Z guy. Just giving you an idea.

Yeah i did some more research on it and financially i can't afford it. I will probably just turbo an L28 and slap it in a 240. My best friend stephen turboed his 280(which is substancially heavier than an early model 240) and still ran some low 13's on a basically stock L motor. All this while managing to keep the budget under about $500. Of course he did do some trading. But still. Dropping 3 seconds and only 500 dollars and a few trades on a basically stock motor with 10psi aint bad.

my 3.1 is going under the knife this winter. and comming out a fire breathing beast.

head work, biggr cam, nitrous. the usual stuff. and still on stock {well sort of} su carbs.

im looking at an easy 300 rwhp on bottle.

sadly enough for the money i have spent, and the money going back into the motor, i could have built a 600 hp sbc for the money.

all up to you.

far and few between stroked L series. or the growing number of small block s30's

Its all a personal preference, actually. Me personally for the cost involved you could build yourself a turbo motor or a V-8, get the same hp almost out of the box with certain V-8s, or a boosted turbo, and not have as much into it.

What some failed to mention as well, if you are going to use triple carbs, then jetting can start to cost a bundle too as the jets and tubes arent that cheap.

When I got my 280ZX turbo, all I did was go with 2.25 inch tubing, new ic, FPR and boosted to 15 psi.

On all stock components and engine, I was able to net 13.4 1/4 mile times. Not bad for a motor with 200k on the clock.

Guest DanielB1987
Did this guy really say he searched but couldn't find any information on how to build an L-stroker? Wow...

No I didn't say that. I said i searched ebay and local parts stores looking for a MAXIMA DEISEL CRANK and couldn't find it.

im a forklift mechanic, there are industrial fork trucks with L30 motors, not sure how strong the internals are, i think there simular to the nissan military trucks in japan back in the 80'S and looks to be the same as the l series nissan blocks in the z cars...

but some tcm / nissan / komatsu forklifts use the nissan L30

NOT SURE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU CAM IT AND ADD TRIPLE WEBERS. but ive thought of trying it for fun

check with some venders in http://www.car-part.com that have 81-83 diesel Maximas. I have purchased a few over the years through them. Generally, people are not looking for the diesel Maxima motors, just the crankshafts, so the j/y's will occasionally just drop the crank and sell it by itself for $150-$250... It is also easier for them to package and ship.

My buddy has a Komatsu? fork lift in his yard with an L series motor. Not sure what size it is though. I don't think it would make a very good donor though. The design criteria is considerably different for a fork lift than a passenger vehicle.

Although I agree with Briann, as an engineering exercise, my 3.1 is a lot of fun. However, it's even more fun with the turbo.

You can get a crank made by several of the custom crank manufacturers. My stroker crank is a billett crank from SCAT.

I believe you could get nearly as much power from a standard 2.8 L motor with a properly designed turbo setup and good fuel management.

If you're on a budget, there are better ways to get there, but if you're doing it for your own satisfaction and you have the financial wherewithall to do it, go for it. It's your ride, do with it what you want.

im a forklift mechanic' date=' there are industrial fork trucks with L30 motors, not sure how strong the internals are, i think there simular to the nissan military trucks in japan back in the 80'S and looks to be the same as the l series nissan blocks in the z cars...

but some tcm / nissan / komatsu forklifts use the nissan L30

NOT SURE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU CAM IT AND ADD TRIPLE WEBERS. but ive thought of trying it for fun[/quote']