HybridZ

Installing ARP Headstuds

Bernardd

Firstly, are any of the studs going through the coolant system? Which ones are they and what special prep needs to be done?

Do you use motor oil on the threads that go into the block?

Do you apply moly lube to the upper threads, washers and nut?

What is the proper torque with the studs?

All covered on the ARP Website, or in the instructions that came with the studs. They are specific about the lubes to use, and installation methodology.

As for coolant passages, on the L-Motor, no they don't pass through any passages. I usually paint the studs with Glyptal oustide of the threaded portion and let them dry thoroughly before installation. No corrosion possibilities that way should a head gasket let go around water jacket, or from condensation inside the holes form shutdown...whatever. I paint everything anyway. I'm diseased! LOL

Moly REALLLY decreases the turning friction, I have seen people literally spin the threads out of quality nuts and studs by trying to torque them to "dry" specifications.

Our equipment (at work) has very distinct Dry and Lubed torque, and with Molykote we decrease the torque SIGNIFICANTLY even compared to the normal ISO VG68 turbine oil lubed stuff.

I watched a guy in Taiwan pull the threads out of a $250 impeller nut after Molykoting the impeller stud, and then torquing it to the "Dry" specifications. The instructions specified "C5A Antiseize Compound By Permatex" and he substituted Molykote instead. OOPS! Just what I wanted to do, sit around Taipei and gain weight! LOL

Beware on the Molykote, it makes stuff REEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY Slippery!

Good Luck...