HybridZ

71 240 w/ stroked 383 LT1 and Procharger D1

Guest Anonymous

WHHAAZUUUP!!!! I finally think I have every thing I need from ATI to complete the blower instalation.I have a few other problems I have to attend to on the car first. One is the cooling issue.My car has a Griffen aluminum radiator 26 by 18 and normally runs cool,but if its 90 degrees out and im in traffic the temp will climb and I have seen close to 240.I have 2 10 inch fans up front and a 18 perma cool in the back.Now that I have a 27 by 12inch intercooler siting about 6 inches in front of my radiator which might restrict air flow, combined with 15lbs of boost makes my motor hot.I'm going to get rid of the 18 inch fan and run 2 in the back also,and try to increase air flow by removeing some metal from around the radiator and making a scoop that will direct air to the radiator.If any body has any tips please let me know,I just cant seem to get a fan to pump enough air and there is no option of running one off the motor.When I'm going over 30 to 40 there is no problem.I'm also having header problems.When I first got my shorty headers they were fine but only had 1 5/8 primary and 2 1/4 collector.I had a buddy put on 3 inch collectors and have had problems with them leaking now because they are warped at the top flange. Does any body know of a company that makes 1 3/4 primary tube 3 inch collector shorty headers. I know full length is better but for ground clearance and many other things in the way I have switched to shorty's and am not worried about any H.P loss. Work and demanding girlfried "you dont spend enough time with me" has limited my wrenching time but I hope to have it going in 2-3 weeks, and am working on getting some more pics online.See ya in the rear view Darius

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya' on the just a few more lbs comment. My friend who pulled his Cobra motor out finally got aroound to opening it up. Mind you he had only taken it out because it was running so well that he was afraid the stock rods and pistons couldn't take it. Well when he got into it he found three brokencracked pistons and one rod slightly bent!

Talk about lucky - the car was running fine but was a ticking time bomb waiting to blow. He'll have Eagle rods and forged pistons in it ASAP.

Oh yeah - if anyone is running the Sanderson headers I'd love to hear how well they fit.

As fo rth ecooling - goto an OEM radiator out of say a Cobra or Mark VIII, maybe a Taurus. These fans move mondo air, run two speeds, and make the aftermarket stuff look like junk. I'm gunning for a Coba fan myself.

BLKMGK, I am close to starting the car, finished the electrics under the hood and now I'm working inside teh dash area trying to get all my modifications hooked to the stock dash and gages.

I've tested the 98 GT Mustang fan with only battery voltage (~12.5) and I'm continually amazed at the air it is pulling into the AC condensor and radiator. You feel a very definite wind in front of it and behind it it's alot of wind. Yes, with the car 15" higher off the ground than usual and no hood on the car, I still feel a wind behind the car with it on high.

I agree it makes the aftermarket fan setups seem wimpy in comparison. No real testing yet, but I have that wimpy 86 non-HD Camaro rad that JTR recommends.

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited September 19, 2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

well me and cahant finally got together and took some more photos showing the new blower and intercooler setup, and some of the rear end-r230. check it out at htandmore.com/pics/240z71 or at top of the page at cahants post, they came out pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeff Rimmer

Can someone inform me as to the gauge package in the pics?

I'm really in love with that setup. What a beautifully done car, one the engine shots, currently my desktop wallpaper!

Thanks

JR

I think he's using Autometer UltraLights. I'll be using Phantoms myself. Th e2 5/8ths guages fit inthe stock holes and the 5inch tach and speedo do too. :-) I'm still working on mounting mine as th ecar is in th epaintshop jail. Hope to have it back soon and finish the work!

• 1 month later...

well I finally got my z going with the D-1 procharger. I have had alot of problems, first one of my paxton kamakaze fuel pumps took a dump, I dont recomend them to my worst enemy,they make alot of noise and dont pump very much, so I replaced it with an aeromotive pump which is bigger, quieter, and pumps more fuel,but I am still using one krapikaze.After all that I had problems blowing the hoses off,I fixed that by longer conecters and using hair spray on the tubes, it sounds funny but it works.I only have about 20 miles on the D-1. I have done a few tach runs on my favorite straight away and the car is crazy fast,I can only floor it in 3rd gear but it still lays rubba big time,it hooks up once I hit 4th gear and pulls very hard.Both me and my roomate chuck have 2000 yamaha R1's so I've had him race me and it has been very even, the fastest we've ran is 10.60 at 133 at sears point,but my car goes nowhere until 3rd gear so I know it could never run that time,but on the freeway, watch out. So every time I have driven it something goes wrong, this time racing chuck again the D-1 that I thought was so bad ass blew up on me with probably less than 20 miles WHAT THE F----K I'm going to fly to kansaass where the make these things and ring somebody neck to get out my frustrations. I dont know why this happened,my setup is perfect, I've talked to them numerous time and made sure I'm doing everything right.My advice dont ever buy a blower, take the 3 grand and invest in the motor and you will probably make just as much power with less heat less things to blow up,they sound cool look cool and sometimes make your car go very fast,but for me has been a bunch of problems, from blowing up 2 blowers and one engine, I wish I never bought one, but now I'm far to deep to turn back now, I guess I'll box up the D-1 and send it back to kansas with one of my dogs turds in the box. $2250 for 20 miles, not worth it, Luckily it is fairly easy for me to take it out,as I have done it so many times, but if I had a late model camaro 93-up I would have certainly shot myself by now as you can't even see the blower, or even half the motor. I guess I'll update when I talk to the morons at ATI, They better be very nice and understanding, as I'd hate to have to buy a plane ticket!!!

Hrm, something ain't right. Is this blower the same one that blew before - rebuilt? Thus far I've seen and talked with at least 30 owners of ATI blowers and own one myself - albeit with little mileage. To date I've only seen one of those blowers die - a very early D1. It turned out to be a casting problem and ATI made good on it's replacement.

What exactly is happening to the blower? Bearing going bad? Blowing an oil seal? It can't be the impeller coming apart - damn things are billet while everyone else uses cast! How tight is the belt? Cog pulleys? Details man, need some details.

what's up blkmgk. No this is a brand spanking new D-1, the other one I blew up was a 600-b.I noticed a slightly different noise when I was going down the street when I first put it on, but figured it was normal,and it kept working for about 15-20 miles after.Basicly I was nailing it in third gear when it made made it crashing noise, I first thought it was the motor but when I got outside the car I could hear it was the blower which is the last thing I thought would break seeings how it is brand new and is supposed to be their race blower capable of 25lbs of boost+.I got it home and pulled off the first tube out of the blower and there was a lot of oil and small metal fragments, after pulling it off I could tell the bearing or the bearing support that supports the impeller has given away and caused the impeller to crash into the housing, exactly what happened to my 600-b but seems to be not as severe.I got roughly 2000 miles out of the 600-b and it held together, but as soon as I put the 15lb pulley onto it,it blew up,the d-1n is also running a 15lb pulley,I asked procharger about the d-1sc witch has a self contained oiling system but is said to have the same internal pieces as the d-1,maybe if that one blew up it wouldn't shoot a bunch of oil into my intercooler.I sent it back today and they said they could get to it in a couple days. I really don't feel getting the same thing again as I have little confidence in it, especially the same one.They say there is three ways to blow one up, not enough oil,had plenty of that,everywhere, overspinning it,I only rev to 6000, the oil return line clogging,there was no evidence of that,when I pulled it of and checked it no excesive oil poured out and the line was clear, if anybody wants to call them and ask them why there s--t blows up call 913-338-2886.

That is truly weird. When I got my P1200 it had been used on a race car with cog pulleys. As a result the bearing was worn and the impeller shaft could be deflected by hand if you tried hard enough - it didn't quite touch the housing but it was close enough and there were a couple of slight scratches where it had lightly touched. I've since had that blower rebuilt and it seems to be good as new - can't deflect it at all!

Is it possible that the belt is overtightening? How tight are you making it and are you using a spring loaded idler? It's possible to make the belt too tight and it's also possible for the belt to try and climb the pulley - this will make one side tight and the other looser. Even if th ebelt was too tight it would have to be bowstring tight and then some to trash that bearing I believe.

The newer D series is supposed to have better bearings. The shaft is thicker than my P series and the bearings themselves are supposed to be just plain stronger. However the step up internally is also higher so you'll see faster shaft speeds with the same pulley. As much air as they move I'd expect the motor to go before the blower was oversped unless there's massive restriction in the intercooler?

What intercooler are you using? Is this a cog belt setup? Is the oil return in the pan higher than the fill level? If it's not oil will backup the tube - turbos have this problem too.... I dunno' man - I'll be very intersted to hear what ATI says. Be sure to clean th eintercooler out real good too!

What's up. I'm running a 12 rib setup, and a spring loaded tensioner, so I dont think it could be to tight. My pulley alligment is damm near perfect and my crank pulley spins very straight. Intercooler is a spearco, just the core not includeing the tanks measures 27 1/2 by 6, it is huge!! As far as the oil line, I put it exactly where the said to put it in the instuction manual that I got when I bought the kit. The oil in the motor has less than 200 miles and I use a fram HP-4 filter which is a lot bigger than stock. I dont know why it blew up, I just hope ATI makes it right with me as I have spent at least $6000 between the first kit,the D-1 and pulleys and belts for the 600-b. I guess I'll just wait and see.

• 4 weeks later...

WELL GOT MY CAR RUNNING AGAIN BUT IT HAS BEEN RAINING AND I HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO TAKE IT OUT YET, EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE. ATI SAID THE D-1 BLEW UP BECAUSE THE MISTER NOZZLE WAS TO BIG AND SPRAYING TO MUCH OIL??? SO THEY REBUILT MY OLD ONE WITH NEW OIL SEALS, BEARINGS, INPUT SHAFT ASSEMBLY, IMPELLAR,TRANSMISSION COVER, MISTER NOZZLE, AND A NEW BACKING PLATE. WHEN IT FINALLY WORKS I'LL TAKE SOME VIDOES AND POST THEM HERE.

LATER.

Guest MistaFosta

So, darius, I get my bike back on tuesday, but Im gonna have to worry about you rollin up and racin me in your Z, huh?

Lol

------------------

------------------------

V-Tec This!

Mista Fosta

Ya your gonna be worrying, i've been racing chris with his R-1 and it's been pretty close. He pulled me in the top of fourth gear but once I hit 5th it was dead even till about 140mph, so I think i could easily waste the TL. Bring it on, my car is running so bring your bike by and we will race up taylor.later

Guest Anonymous

hello everyone. Just wanted to say that the car is bad ass. As for a coupld of topics ago, people were asking about LTD for the r200. PowerTrax is gonna make one this year for the r200, just thought I'd let everyone know. It's gonna be around 300 bucks, so cheaper then the one someone listed that was a full detroit. Anyway, just wanted to give my 2C.

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey Darius,

I heard that your car ran an 11.22@132 on street tires? True? False? Care to comment? Iam PURELY curious. Just trying to weed out the B.S.

Thanks.