HybridZ

Now, help with tires please

I know quite a few of you guys have rims close to the size I just bought, and have experince at what sizes go best with them.

Again, we are talking 17x10.5 and 17x9 using coilovers ang ZG flares.

I want a nice looking tread pattern, and them to be Z rated or maybe 1 step down if to exspensive. The 17's I now have on my car are Bridgestone SO3's which are more money than I want to spend now on tires.

Mainly its the size I'm not sure of to go on a 9" and a 10.5" rim. Do I go for the stretched look, or the flush with edge of rim look? 40's, 45's or 50's?

i have Yokohama ES100's in 275-40-ZR17 rear and 255-40-ZR17 front on my same spec CCW's as you.

i would go with wider rear but if u liked the sorta streached tire look go with the 275's.

the 255 fills up the front nice.

i got some 315 advans for the rear now.. alot better.

mike

ya but i say 255 front.

might be to wide in the front and hit your sway bar lock to lock.

255 fills out the front nicely.

285 would work nice too for the rear, you can go wider too.

mike

You've got rolling stock now, right? Have an idea of what you want (eg. 265's front) and take your car to a tire shop. They will try out differnet combos for you until they find what fits.

Just be sure they have what tires you are interested in stock.

Every car is a little different, that usally means one or two measurements.

Isk

I am a HUGE fan of the Kumho Ecsta MX tire. It works well on the street and is very weel suited for track days. The tire is used a lot by guys who combine track and street duty. I'm runnin right at 22Kmiles on the front ppair I've got on the vette and they have track days and some autoX time on them. The rears lasted about 19K miles. I'm running 295-35-18s on the back now, and they simple hook and go! Good in rain to!

Mike

Joel....did you order 4 or 5-lug wheels ? I couldn't remember if you had upgraded your hubs and brakes yet ?

Have you already trimmed out the rear arch sheetmetal for the wide rears and flares ? Thats a good project in its own.Be sure and place the flares in position and trace their mount points.....THEN cut the steel.

Anyway,tires.......I've got 275/45/17's on a 9" rear w/coil overs. The fronts are 245/40/17's on a 8" with the Z31 hub all in stock unflared wheel archs.

You really need to mount the rim only on the front and check your "lock to lock" steering before ordering meats.

There may be some spacers needed before its all over to dial it in.

Freakin' rubber can cost more than the wheels when we get into these larger rim sizes......at least for sticky high speed stuff !

.........Vinny

I ordered 4 lug rims so I can dump the 5 lug spacers.

There are many guys with this size set up' date=' so I'm taking their word that 275 rear and 255 front works. I hope I don't eat my words... :redface:[/quote']

Well....they certainly won't be too big, in that I know the 275's will fit under a stock arch.

I would imagine you could be safe going a step or two larger in the rear .And your going to need it bad when those turbos hit !Plus.....Zg's will make a 275 look narrow in the back.Unless your planning on pushing the wheel out with another spacer to fill the fender lip ?

Vinny

Well....they certainly won't be too big' date=' in that I know the 275's will fit under a stock arch.

I wouls imagine you could be safe going a step or two larger in the rear .And your going to need it bad when those turbos hit !Plus.....Zg's will make a 275 look narrow in the back.Unless your planning on pushing the wheel out with another spacer to fill the fender lip ?

Vinny[/quote']

How'd you get 275's under stock fenders? Rolled? What's your offset and make/model of trie?

Isk

How'd you get 275's under stock fenders? Rolled? What's your offset and make/model of trie?

Isk

I trimmed the inner upper arch all the way to the spot welds when I restored the car some years ago planning for it.

The wheels are 8x17" and 9x17" 3-piece Veilsides with something like a 38mm rear offset.I'd have to look at them to be certain.Coilovers of course and the lower perch/sleeve mounted on the old perch remaining weld. I asked Ground Control to simply undercut the inner I.D. of the threaded sleeves and ground down the remaining welded area of the removed factory perch then powder coated them.Worked perfectly.

Take a look at 2FIDDY's Z. He's running 275/17"s too. Although mine looks abit different regarding clearance.

.........Vinny 8)

Take a look at 2FIDDY's Z. He's running 275/17"s too. Although mine looks abit different regarding clearance.

.........Vinny 8)

Vince, where would those pics be? I'd like to take a peek at them.

BTW, what tire would you buy if you were me, with my new add ons...?? (size and brand) :wink:

Vince' date=' where would those pics be? I'd like to take a peek at them.

BTW, what tire would you buy if you were me, with my new add ons...?? (size and brand) :wink:[/quote']

Here's an image of 2FIDDYZ' 275/45/17" on a 9" rim and CO's. Hope he doesent mind me posting his pix.

I still havent' shot any of mine while ON the car Joel.They are off and brakes going on......sometime (rolls eyes)lol.

275_45_17.jpg

As far as brand of tires go.....Hmmm. I guess it really depends on how you think you'll use the car the MOST. I plan on having a set of knock around street tires and then a set of Track day tires. Since the two activities are SO different in needs.

Big money and max size for Track .....then cheaper squealers for the occasional car show and burn-outs ( accidental of course).

If you KNOW that the car won't see much driving time anyway,then spend the bucks on GREAT traction and be fast .Otherwise, you'll just wheel spin and not reveal your cars magic.

Back to brand........track-SCCA>Hoosiers........1/4 mile>BFG Drag radials and maybe even for the street if your not going to drive it a ton.

Size wise....that does sort of fall under WHATS available closeset to your needs sometimes. Thats really why I sugested earlier to wait until you can ACTUALLY set the wheels on the studs and check a few parameters out for sidewall etc.

Here's a good staggered set on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CORVETTE-C4-TIRE-TIRES-255-45-17-285-40-17-GOODYEAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66475QQitemZ8021501693QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Those are a few decent upper end choices, however not on the cheaper side.

Tires are like brakes to me.....consumeable control ! An nessacery evil expense, but well worth it in the end.

Vinny 8)

WOW Vinny those rear tires are nicely tucked! However I think it may be a different story on a 10.5" rear wheel even with a 275 tire. I would go for the 285 on the rear. There are less tire choices but I think it would be a better match on the rear wheel

CCW 10.5 rear with 5.5" BS:

CCW_rear_4.JPG

Here's a good staggered set on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CORVETTE-C4-TIRE-TIRES-255-45-17-285-40-17-GOODYEAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66475QQitemZ8021501693QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Those are a few decent upper end choices' date=' however not on the cheaper side.

Tires are like brakes to me.....consumeable control ! An nessacery evil expense, but well worth it in the end.

Vinny 8)[/quote']

THANK YOU MY BROTHER!! I SCOOPED THEM UP.....:2thumbs:

I can't belive for that price, they went so long with out a buyer... glad to have good friends looking out for me.

Thanks again Vinny for the heads up...

joel

WOW Vinny those rear tires are nicely tucked! However I think it may be a different story on a 10.5" rear wheel even with a 275 tire. I would go for the 285 on the rear. There are less tire choices but I think it would be a better match on the rear wheel

CCW 10.5 rear with 5.5" BS:

CCW_rear_4.JPG

Hold up there Jaime.......lol......I meant those are on 2FIDDYZ's car....at least in THAT pic. My car is bright green and on jackstands again. I meant for Joel to just see and realize that 275's are no CHALLENGE for his flared goals at hand.I wasn't suggesting for him to stretch the 275's onto his big-a$$ed 10.5's !!

Joel.....glad you liked that staggered set there.I rarely see that level of tire for that low a price and thought you couldn't go wrong.If you go bigger later on...hell , I'll buy them from ya' !!lol.

.........Vinny 8)