HybridZ

header wrap

mc

I have a RMT[REAR MOUNT TURBO] set up on my 88 Nissan 200sxSE.i USE the new copper impregnated header wrap to try to keep the heat in the pipe that feeds my turbo.Its a daily driver car and the elements are just starting to cause the wrap to slightly fray.Anyone think there is a problem wrapping the header wrap with HVAC aluminim tape to maintain the existing wrap as well as add to the heat retention qualities???Thanks,Mike.

I would be concerned with corrosion of the exhaust tube due to water retention, especially with all the salt they use on the roads in NY.

The aluminum tape should keep the exhaust wrap from fraying, but might cause increased corrosion. I have no idea about how the tape would effect heat retention.

I think ceramic coating would be a better idea.

..i see they sell a paint used as a preservitive for the wrap but i doubt it will make it last much longer.I decided to try wrapping a small section and see how long it lasts.The aluminum tape seems to conform and hold the wrap prety well.

When I got my headers I thought that I could save some money, and just get the blanket or wrap instead of spending another $125 on ceramic coating. Well live and learn, I ended up spending about $80 for the blanket and hardware, and I ripped up when I changed my clutch. So I spend another $70 for a new blanket. It would have been cheaper for me to have gotten the coating to begin with, and it would not be as fragile as wrap. Once the wrap gets hot, it's like tissue paper.

When I got my headers I thought that I could save some money, and just get the blanket or wrap instead of spending another $125 on ceramic coating. Well live and learn, I ended up spending about $80 for the blanket and hardware, and I ripped up when I changed my clutch. So I spend another $70 for a new blanket. It would have been cheaper for me to have gotten the coating to begin with, and it would not be as fragile as wrap. Once the wrap gets hot, it's like tissue paper.
yeah....ceramic would be nice but this is all low budget...so far the aluminum tape is working decent.

i'm only wrapping the pipes behind the cat to the turbo inlet....its hot but no where as hot as a header....i used to have a 72 Chevelle with a stroker 383 and i heat wrapped the headers and they were fine[cheapo headers btw]...it was a daily driver for 10 years.

• 3 weeks later...