HybridZ

vg30 alternator (opinions please)

84z31

this is on an 84 300zx non turbo so far.

okay i have read all about the maxima swap. but i want more then 90 amps.

so my question today is the following.

has anyone had there stock unit rewound for over 100 amps?

i am considering doing that if the price is right. there is a local guy i have used to work on chevy alternators i used in my old toyota truck. he converted them to self excite so all you had to hook up was the battery cable.

i am also thinking about going the chevy alternator route as well. i can buy one of those and have 105 amps out of the box for $100. and then another $40 for my alternator guy to rework the regulator. i think i would mount it in the air conditioning bracket. i will have to fabricate a bracket to hook it to the air conditioning bracket but it would be alright.

the chevy alternator puts out 70 amps at idle. that is the main reason i want to use it. and the fact it puts out more power. i swapped a supra motor into my toyota truck and have repeatedly reved it over 5500 rpm. the alternator handled it fine and i never had any problems.

the factory alternator in my car is having trouble when i have just the lights and rear defroster on. it brings my battery down to about 13 volts.

so what are your opinions?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason84NA-T
well i finally had the time to get to the parts store. the quest alternator will not swap in. it has a different bolt pattern and wire connectors. not that has stopped me before. but i think i'd rather put a chevy one wire alternator in.

I know of one person that has installed the quest alt, and I recall he said it was a pain. My maxima alt works great with everything on and the stereo CRANKED. If comparing stock alternators you should look at the efficiency curves of the stock alts and consider overdriving the alternator with a smaller pulley to get amps up at idle. The maxima is 90 amps peak compared to stock 70 amps, but it also delivers about 11-15 amps more at 3000rpm(alt, not engine).

It sounds like you're going for something serious though, you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.zena.net/htdocs/alternators/AutoSound.shtml

well i decided i didn't like the 12" subs and 1200 watt amp. i traded my brother them for his 10" pioneer (400watt) in a band pass, with a pioneer 300 watt amp. it sounds much better. that sony stuff just sucks compared to pioneer.

anyway, i think i'll be drawing less so i'm going to get the maxima alternator. the only other addition will be my electric fan. i should have the wiring harness finished today. so i can test it out and see if it kills my alternator the rest of the way. i'm holding out until its completely dead.

Guest Jason84NA-T
so i can test it out and see if it kills my alternator the rest of the way. i'm holding out until its completely dead.

That sounds like a good way to get stuck on the side of the road at 3AM. Ask me how I know.