HybridZ

Slave cylinder...

Guest ON3GO

i have a spec stage 4 unsprung clutch that is gonna kill the slave cylinder on my 280zx n/a 5-speed right now.

im like 3 parts away from driving my Z so i wanna get everything correct right now so i dont have to work on this Z anymore lol.

what slave cylinder is gonna be up to the task to this clutch?

also what clutch master cylinder should i look into getting as im sure that will go also.

specs are..

L28ET

Spec stage 4 unsprung turbo clutch

spec 10lb alum turbo flywheel.

280zx n.a 5 speed.

any ideas guys?

mike

Guest 73Turbo240z

mike, when i was looking into this stuff, the tilton 7/8ths clutch master came up alot, they say you have to grind on the firewall a bit, re-bend the line a tad, and i don't remember what the deal was w/ the actuator rod, but it's not like we couldn't fab one up anyway.

allegedly there pretty strong, and fully rebuildable, so no more down time waiting for new parts, just order in a spare seal kit to keep around.

as for the clutch slave... i thought there was a unit from a pathfinder you were going to use or somthing? why don't we just look into finding more durable seals,cause it's not the metal that fails on the slave, it's the o-ring seals and such, find a tighter fitting seal setup, and you get a higher pressure capacity for the clutch slave to operate with.

and needless to say i hope you got a braided stainless clutch line like i did...

mike' date=' when i was looking into this stuff, the tilton 7/8ths clutch master came up alot, they say you have to grind on the firewall a bit, re-bend the line a tad, and i don't remember what the deal was w/ the actuator rod, but it's not like we couldn't fab one up anyway.

allegedly there pretty strong, and fully rebuildable, so no more down time waiting for new parts, just order in a spare seal kit to keep around.

as for the clutch slave... i thought there was a unit from a pathfinder you were going to use or somthing? why don't we just look into finding more durable seals,cause it's not the metal that fails on the slave, it's the o-ring seals and such, find a tighter fitting seal setup, and you get a higher pressure capacity for the clutch slave to operate with.

and needless to say i hope you got a braided stainless clutch line like i did...[/quote']

Tim240z once posted about putting a stainless sleeve in the slave. I guess the idea is that it is the aluminum in the slave cylinder that corrodes and then tears up the seals. I think he had said that he did this himself. It's been at least a year, but maybe he'll see this thread and tell us what the deal was.

Tim240z once posted about putting a stainless sleeve in the slave. I guess the idea is that it is the aluminum in the slave cylinder that corrodes and then tears up the seals. I think he had said that he did this himself. It's been at least a year, but maybe he'll see this thread and tell us what the deal was.

I was thinking about that post aswell. I'm going to do something to solve this proublem some day but, who knows when that will be. I even have a couple of old units laying around to play with.

One of the biggest proublems I've had is that the piston wears on the top and bottom and eventually rocks back and forth in the bore causing uneven loading of the seal which makes it eventually fail. I've learned that when I notice on about to fail I get a new one on ASAP. They don't last long after the first sign of failure.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim you around to give some info on this?

i searched for that post but didnt find it.

i finished my fuel cell fab today so all thats left is put tranny fluid in, get a slave and master cylinder, shifter bushings, and finish the rest of the wiring and she is done.

mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Risin' Outlaw

You guys are really helping my figure out what diff I'm going to need to run with but I'm not sure what I have in my car all ready its a 75 280Z all stock( for now) do they have these numbers on them somewhere? I'm not really all that concerned about the ratio, but knowing where to find this on the diff' would help. thx