HybridZ

Cheaper to run 10s in civic than a mustang!

auxilary

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never forget an argument I had with a twit on Supraforums about his claim that OHC and quad cam motors always made less torque. He seemed to feel there was something magic about 2 more valves that killed torque and that GM would never put this on their V8s

ZR1 had variable opening intake runners, too much intake runner = low end torque loss. FWIW Lotus designed it for 'em.

As I understand it, the Northstar motors are a smaller config. Not sure. I keep hearing these rumors of the quad cam for the Vette. 10 years ago with the ZR1, it was expensive, but supposedly it is not so. And, if I remember correctly, the Caddy V16 (the one the new V8 is supposedly based off of) was a well packaged motor. I'm going to check right now for those articles.

Here's one: http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0304_c6/index1.html

Then again, I read this:http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=&content_code=09501022

and then I found this:http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=coverstory&loc_code=index&content_code=00790378

There still may be hope for a quad cam 4 valve per cylinder V8 from GM as the XLR (think that's the name) could have one. You never know.

Yeah the ZR1 engines were about 25k in crate form, same power as an LS1 and sooooo much more, LS1s are more than I'd want to spend already :shock: They have come down alot, maybe the average price for a ZR1 engine is around 13k or so, see a few now and again on eBay. Heavier, bulkier, more expensive to work with, hmm give me something else :) It was a great engine 10 years ago, but I think thats the key, 10 years ago.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Eh....the LT5 is still a very potent engine. I believe the ZR1 still holds quite a few speed/accelleration records.

I'd take one. Sure it's heavier and the LS1 makes that power now but I believe there's LOTS of potential left in it. It's just so darned expensive for parts and whatnot :( I've spoken to a couple of ZR1 owners who are looking into modifying them, sick power! Forced induction makes them shine...

• 2 weeks later...

C6 corvette top model is supposed to have 500 hp, when i heard about it GM was already at ~450 and going for more, that was in december. I heard that at a talk on the history of the corvette, given by Joe Speilman (i think). Bob Lutz (gm product czar) said the same thing a few weeks later when he gave his talk.

Oh, and if you're looking at a GTO, wait a year, theyre gonna come out with a model that has 405hp. (This from Lutz also).

And on the topic of direct acting valves, gm has a system that works. The only problem is that it takes more power than the engine produces (or uses more power than the difference makes). That i learned because I was talking about engine technology with a friend who has been working at GM research.