HybridZ

Cheaper to run 10s in civic than a mustang!

auxilary

Oh here we go, spare me the "you're just like every other Supra owner" crap. It's just that - crap. My car ran those numbers with DOT tires - Nitto 555Rs that I removed from daily use when the wear bars showed and with a whopping 5 gallons of race gas. Surprise, I have and DO drive the car on the street with both of those "track modifications". The only reason why race gas was used was because it's a safety net against detonation and I had wanted to turn the boost up further. The boost wasn't raised simply because an injector developed a problem (appears partially clogged) and I chose to park the car rather than go lean. With my driving at the time I wouldn't have been able to use the added boost very well anyway unless I'd brought it up with road speed and I've not fooled with doing that yet.

Cry me a river about how others make excuses but spare the finger pointing at me. With all of 300 posts it's obvious you've not learned much maturity here. I don't present my car as God's chariot - I know it's weak points and I also know it's strong points. It would seem you've not done your homework. You typify me with a crowd I don't associate with much, it's kind of funny actually. On the other hand it's sad that you've decided to act this way on a board that's normally far more civil. You sure you weren't looking for ZCAR.com or something?

How much power a drivetrain can take most absolutely DOES have a bearing and if you think it doesn't then you've obviously never broken anything! I've broken a "few things" on my Z and got pretty sick of it, the Supra on the other hand has been bulletproof so far save a power steering pump that took a dump. How much power a motor can reliably make also has a bearing on things, stick your head in the sand if you want but it's true. There are several import motors that make sick power - after you replace pistons and rods! If you're willing to make that plunge by all means blow your cash but I happen to prefer to start with something strong from the start and not sweat toasting a piston or shattering a rod. Hell for the cost of rods, pistons, and machine work for most motors I can buy a NEW (not rebuilt) 2JZ shortblock. But hey smart guy that stuff doesn't matter does it?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Your Car is Slow

Yea..your not like any other supra owner :roll:

You sure are defensive for someone who isnt associated with those guys :)

Your excuse list in this post alone

damned automatics!

You chose the car and claim its the best thing since sliced bread..now you use part of it as an excuse

Lack of traction is true though

All high horsepower cars have traction problems. Heres a tip..the throttle is progressive :)

He didn't even turn his boost up much

This should be tattooed on all supra owners foreheads.

and I too was running less than 100% of what I could have

This too

the car can take two. However I'm still tuning

And this (running out of room to tattoo things).

guys with my combo are over 600RWHP

Yea..but you just said you dont compare yourself to them or associate with them. Pick a side of the fence to stand on :)

he NEVER locks up his torque converter so there's certainly more left in it.

What the converter stall set at? 7000rpm?

I know his boost wasn't all the way up too

Tattoo it on his head too

this much power is a bitch to hook

Yea...no car on earth can hook 550hp.

Highway runs are where Supra shine. The power can be hooked, the gearing rox, and it's hard to blow a shift on a highway run.

Blow alotta shifts in your automatic? :roll:

Never race a Supra on the highway

Why not? I love to race them...you do realize its possible for a car to have *gasp* MORE horsepower than a supra right?

especially if the exhaust tip is white inside

Do you normally examine an exhaust tip at 70mph on the highway?

I know it's capable of more

im runnin outta ink in my tattoo gun.

If you know squat about racing you'll know exactly why too

Yea...I dunno shit about it...I only nearly have your 1/4 trap speed covered in the 8th :roll:

I've even got a 12second slip with a trap of 126mph

So? Ive got an 11.27@84 mph slip...whats that have to do with your excuse list a mile long?

Supras are capable cars and when they don't perform to their ability there's going to be a caveat afterwards.

Which is what I said in the beginning...however you got your tampon all in a wad over it.

Personally I could care less what others think

Yea...I can tell you dont care after 4 pages of replies

You've not driven one

Actually I have...im just not impressed by cages.

The wing isn't a good way to tell them apart as I've seen quite a few winged N/A and a few wingless turbo cars

Yea...and im sure its impossible to remove or add the TURBO badge huh?

A white exhaust tip means the car is running race gas

Funny..I run nitrous and not race gas...my tip is also white.

My 550 is actually dissapointing and ought to be closer to 600. My figure is from a Mustang dyno though and I'm hoping a DynoJet will be closer to what I expect.

You do realize a dyno is a tuning tool...not a bragging tool...right? Numbers are pointless to anyone except *gasp* people who wanna brag on the internet.

I spoke to a guy at the track with my combo who claimed 600RWHP on 19PSI using pump gas, my turbo will make 30 PSI so figure around 700RWHP

Damn...thought you didnt associate or compare yourself to those guys?

spare me the "you're just like every other Supra owner" crap. It's just that - crap

Opinions vary

Cry me a river about how others make excuses but spare the finger pointing at me

Point out where im crying? These excuses always come from supra owners who LOST a race. I dont lose to supras (then again I dont race cages much)...so It doesnt bother me in the least...I just laugh at hearing the same stories over and over. And take a look at this quote list...Im pointing the finger directly atcha :) Denial isnt just a river in Egypt!

With all of 300 posts it's obvious you've not learned much maturity here

What does maturity have to do with it? Im not being vulgar...Im not calling you names...Im pointing out your like every other supra owner with an excuse book a mile long...and YOU are getting mad at it. (because I hit a nerve)

It would seem you've not done your homework. You typify me with a crowd I don't associate with much

Uh huh...at least 3 comments where you compare yourself to other supras "with the same setup" and where you spoke to "other owners with the same setup". Guess no supra owners are in that "crowd" eh?

On the other hand it's sad that you've decided to act this way on a board that's normally far more civil

Im perfectly civil....Im just pointing out the fact that you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Most other people got quite a laugh out of it :)

the Supra on the other hand has been bulletproof

This is my whole point. All you boys ever talk about is how bulletproof the car is...yet you NEVER EVER run 100%...or "all in it" or at "Full boost".

I KNOW my vehicles arent bulletproof...but I didnt buy them to run at 80% down the track or during a race.

Guest livewire23
Horsepower Per liter is silly....thats simply a ricer excuse to take focus away from the fact that his car makes very little horsepower in comparison to other larger displacement engines.

You know, this is what we have classes for. If we just wanted to see which car was fastest, then in the NHRA all those rocket powered cars would be competing with the old hemis and turbo supras. Now that wouldn't be much fun right? I've got a friend whose just like that. I think the important thing is what people can do with what they got. All the people who built V8Zs with $2k are impressive. Their cars may not be able to compete with scotty's monstrosity, but they only had $2k to begin with. Its the same deal with displacement. Yea, they usually can't make 600hp hondas worth anything, but granted they all started with under 3 liters in displacement to begin with.

Of course I also feel that if you can make a Z do 12s with $5k, and you can make a honda do 12s with $10k, then why build the honda? I mean, if your made of money, and thats your deal, then go ahead. But I'd build the Z any day. I don't have the kind of money to be blowing it like that.

Oh where to start... first - my car is a stick. The automatics are what turn out to be quicker in the 1/4. Yes, my car would be quicker in the 1/4 with an auto, my friend running 10s IS running an automatic and a large part of his success is that transmission. I chose a stick because it's what I ENJOY driving and because it holds the power better without expensive rebuilds. His converter is a 4K stall, except for backing up you'd never know it had that big a stall - boost is instant. Ask Scottie how many tenths locking his converter is worth, apparently you don't understand this point.

Do I know other Supa owners? Sure, I know four or five of them and at least one is pretty serious about racing his car regularly - hence the 10sec timeslips. Do I speak to other Supra owners about the performance of their cars? Um yeah I sure do as that's a very good way to discern how well MY car is performing. Since it's got a programmable EMS in it that I'm tuning it's helpful to know how their cars perform in comparison to mine - that's the tuning part I mentioned in case you missed it. Tune an EFI system from scratch sometime and then tell me how you just jumped in full boost 100% right off the bat on pump gas - then tell me how many pistons you toasted with that foolish move. :lol:

A dyno is certainly a tuning device - oddly enough when comparing numbers it helps to compare apples with apples. My car pulled 550RWHP on an eddy current Mustang dyno - these are known for pulling lower numbers than a DynoJet. Since EVERYONE else uses a DynoJet my comparisons are flawed and I hope will compare better DynoJet to DynoJet. Is that a little clearer to you?

So yes, I know Supra owners however I'm not one of them bowing to Toyota like some God or running around with the belief that without my Supra there would be no life. I bought the car because it was capable of going fast and if something better came along I'd sell it in a heartbeat just like I did my FD3. The new Cobra is tempting, maybe a used one someday.

As for boost and who runs what well - truth hurts. If someone doesn't run full boost because they're trying to work out an issue with a transmission but still runs a 10.4 then I'd say that's impressive. If I don't run full boost on my car because I'm trying to learn how best to launch it then so what? Throttle may be progressive on your bike but if you spent a little time looking at a dyno curve from a Supra perhaps you would understand why traction becomes an issue. Hint: gain 200+ HP in less than 1K RPM - then try to hook it without slicks. Unfortunatly it seems in my case I'm trapped in a paradox - I can run lower boost by swapping my W/G spring but then cannot run full boost up top. The spring that's in there runs 1.2BAR and no less - that's plenty to break traction with on the street. I may relent and go with a lower spring so that I can ramp boost with MPH and just give up the ability to run 30PSI at the track on those rare occasions. The track is far enough away I won't spend much time there anyway. Wish there was a better midleground :(

As for racing a Supra on the highway - that was a general statement. In general, since it needs to be crystal for you, it's not a good idea to run a Supra on the highway. That is where they shine. Run one from a slow roll or from a stop - your chances of winning are better. As for looking at a tailpipe - if I'm behind the car and considering racing it then yeah I'll look. Especially if I know that looking for such a thing will give me some idea as to it's power potential. Nitrous causes this too? Terrific, then it would seem that's yet another reason to check. Wings and stickers can be removed - duh. I guess you'll have to look for the brakes or maybe squint for the intercooler in the passenger side fender - good luck. Okay, here's a possible way - is it a hardtop? Most turbo Supra are targa, there are probably more hardtop N/As but that's not a sure way to tell.

Bulletproof - again you generalize and denigrate with "boys". Yes, the car is pretty bulletproof. I'm sorry if every Supra you've ever encountered chose not to run 100% - that's their choice. I'm happy with the number that I managed to run but even happier with the amount of data I gathered and that the car survived 16 nearly back to back runs intact.

You apparently like bikes since every third post you make talks about them, perhaps you would be happier on a bike forum? IMO you're not being civil but I guess "opinions vary" huh? :roll: Hey, maybe I could typify you as a typical bike rider? Cocky and always talking about how cagers are slow? I'm being attacked - of course I'm defending myself. :roll:

Livewire - I hear where you're coming from. If I see a 13 second Honda I usually don't think much of it but when you consider the displacement that's not a bad time. Bottles of soda have more displacement in some cases! Kids with Hondas often build them because it's what they've got and what they can afford. I'll never forget a kid locally with a Honda who was quite proud of it. It wasn't my "thing" but something he said explained alot - he said "I did it all myself". Granted there are times when we all wish they just wouldn't ;) but there's something to be said for a guy making whatever he's got run quick(er) with his own money and thought. I roll my eyes when I see some Hondas but others are REAL clean and they deserve some respect even if they don't run single digit 1/4miles. Hondas don't do it for me, nor do bikes actually, but I have to admit that a little turbocharged Honda spinning 8K+ RPM would be a neat ride no matter the displacement. So would a turbo 'bussa if I survived the ride :shock:

Supra drivers excuses = a cover for driver error.

Having a ton of horsepower is great, putting it to the pavement is something else. Drag racing is about going from a dead stop, if you want a roll, go to a restaurant.

Thats my take on it.

Guest livewire23

nah, cuz then if your car is slow wins, BLKMGK will blame it on low boost and manual trannies and whatnot, and if your car is slow loses, he'll start talking about slicks and race gas. :roll: You just can't win...

Supra drivers excuses = a cover for driver error.

Having a ton of horsepower is great' date=' putting it to the pavement is something else. Drag racing is about going from a dead stop, if you want a roll, go to a restaurant.

Thats my take on it.[/quote']

Take it any way you please - I've never, not once, claimed to be John Force. If you've found someplace where I've claimed to be a great driver do please point it out. I've also pointed out more than once that bunches of HP can be as much trouble as it is fun. Am I missing your point somehow? Perhaps you were talking about some other supra driver?

Drag racing is indeed going from a stop. Not everyone drag races, some folks like top end. Some people even encounter one another on a highway and decide to see which car can pull the other :shock: The latter is what happens most often when you drive on the street unless you hit a chance encounter at a light. My caution was aimed at those who would try a highway run with a Supra. Note that most people drive on the street 99.99% of the time (okay Scottie is probably 99.8%). It is kind of funny to see people bitching about switching to sticky tires for a drag race or adding race gas though. My car is a daily driver and I enjoy it that way. Trips to the track are few and will likey remain that way unless I get lucky enough to move someplace warm near a track. <shrug>

Hell, the car is a bit heavy for a dragster anyway, that it ran as well is it did was a thrill. Watching a car much like mine run 10s was pretty sick. That he was upset it didn't go faster was sicker still. Not many cars can run mid 11s and then make a 2 hour drive home in our rush hour traffic with the A/C on. Okay, not many that don't have a Buick emblem on the front ;)

nah, cuz then if your car is slow wins, BLKMGK will blame it on low boost and manual trannies and whatnot, and if your car is slow loses, he'll start talking about slicks and race gas. :roll: You just can't win...

Actually you're right - he cannot "win". He cannot "win" because I don't care. I built my Supra my way to enjoy it and not to live up to what someone else thinks. I know what my driving abilities are and I don't claim they're the best. I also don't claim my car makes more power than it does or that it it has run quicker than it has. I share what I've learned about this car and it's drivetrain with others along with what I've learned building my Z. That's why I come here, not to play who's is bigger. :roll:

Frankly I'm not even sure what the argument here is. I drive a Supra and he doesn't like Supra owners for some reason. What I've stated about my car and others is truth and it's not like he's going to disprove that. Could the car go faster? Sure! Could it make more power? Sure! Now is someone arguing that that's not true?

Guest livewire23
I built my Supra my way to enjoy it and not to live up to what someone else thinks.

Hey, that's what its all about right? No matter whether you're building a Z, or a supra or a honda or a turbo hayabusa, its all about building it in a way that you'll have fun in it. That's whats wrong with ricers. Stickers don't make a car fun. :roll:

I aim to get my car into the 280-350 hp range, and that's cuz i figure that's what'll be fun. Good handling and a bit of power's all I want right now...

I built my Supra my way to enjoy it and not to live up to what someone else thinks.

Hey' date=' that's what its all about right? No matter whether you're building a Z, or a supra or a honda or a turbo hayabusa, its all about building it in a way that you'll have fun in it. That's whats wrong with ricers. Stickers don't make a car fun. :roll:

I aim to get my car into the 280-350 hp range, and that's cuz i figure that's what'll be fun. Good handling and a bit of power's all I want right now...[/quote']

My Z dynoed at 300RWHP which is WAY low for a 383SBC. The damned secondaries seem to be stuck :roll: I gave up and hope to recover the power going EFI later on. Anyway, 300RWHP in a lightweight Z is a BLAST! It's also pretty easy to break parts at that power level. Are you trying to do that with the L6 or with a V8? The L6 might be kinder on the drivetrain but harder to do. A SBC or Ford would be pretty easy to get 300+ in but beware the torque. Sad but I've YET to launch the Z, everytime I've gotten serious with the gas pedal I've wound up with a snapped halfshaft or in one case a driveshaft coming unbolted. Just be careful and watch the driveline angles, I have a sneaking suspicion some of my issues may be angle related with the halfshafts since no one else seems to have the same problems. CVs will go into my car one of these days. I did actually begin looking over what it will take to do the swap last night so maybe I can get motivated. The Supra distracted me bigtime but I don't see myself adding anymore go-fast parts to it for awhile, just tuning. Maybe I can get the Z going again as it's a blast to drive and there are so few of them around here....

Guest livewire23

keep in mind that I have a 280Z, which is quite a bit heavier than your cars. And Im gonna be putting the power down with a turbo of some sort, depending on when I do it. If I do it in the next month, it'll probably be a frankenstein L6, otherwise I'll go with a 7m-gte. So hopefully I won't have such an insane amount of torque down low that I break stuff left and right. And I'm going to start at 280hp and up it if I feel it needs more.

Can't we all just get along? :D LOL!

Hey there is no doubt about it Supras(turbos) are awesome! I could care less if they run full boost all the time or not they are still fast and handle great(assuming the handling part cause I have never driven one).

I thought we were picking on the crappy Hondas? I don't care how fast they run, I just can't stand the sound those little fart pipes make!! And those stupid WINGS! :roll::x:cuss: I just cant handle all the ricers around my area! Their every where! :x

Guy :2thumbs:

Guest Your Car is Slow

The point was that just from your post....99 out of 100 car enthusiasts could pick out what kinda car you drive even without you mentioning it was a supra.

You act just like them...use excuses just like them...yet argue for days that you are nothing like them.

You are right..you never claimed your car was faster than it is...you merely gave excuses as to why its not faster than you think it should be.

Excuses never come from people who won the race :)

I personally like supras....although I dont race many cages (for obvious reasons) on my bike....supras seem to enjoy rolling up on bikes and attempting to outrun them up top. Far be it from me to turn down embarassing a supra(or any cage) who is asking for it :)

as for me being more comfy on a bike forum....you were the one who brought up supras on a HybridZ forum...perhaps you would be more comfortable on suprafourms where you can trade excuses with everyone else :)

Actually no it wasn't I that brought up Supras - reread the thread. Supras pick on bikes because they think they might be able to beat them - some Supras have beaten bikes so they try. I don't make excuses for my car I stated facts - the car ought to make more power and it ought to be able to run more quickly than it has. I also stated the reasons why I felt this was so and why why I feel the way I do. What wasn't clear to you? :? In case you didn't notice I didn't lose any race unless you count my wanting to go faster. I DID state that my car turned faster than a 12 and that I watched at least one other Supra do the same. I was rebutting a quite tired old joke is all :roll:

80LT1 - handling wise the Supra are okay. I'll admit I've not ever pushed mine too far but it flat out feels "fatter" then my RX7 did. That car was a go-kart and man did it LOVE to rev! Unfortunatly the motor just wasn't something I was willing to push further than I already had. The Supra is NOT a light car and the targa models feel a little flexible. I ASSume the hardtops are stiffer. Pulling the Targa out makes a noticable difference. I think a bar and some stiffening are on my list, I fear the torque is going to twist my chassis otherwise. :(

Livewire - I don't think the 280 is THAT much heavier. Certainly some but not a dramatic difference. I'm not a 7M fan but that's mostly just because of the headgasket issues. I know these things can be fixed and that some make good power with them, I've not ever owned one. They kind of end up being the poor step child to the JZ motors. At least it's a crossflow motor. I don't know how they compare weight wise, at least one member here has one swapped into his Z. The L6 would be easiest obviously, other members can tell you if the power level you want is easily obtainable. Maybe start with the L6 and consider the 7M later?

Guest livewire23

that was the plan for now, but I dont know if Im going to be able to grab an L6 in the next month with the $$$ I have. Shameless plug follows: If anyone has a L28et in CA, could you PM me, I really want one quick.