HybridZ

Basic Wireing

Ed260Z

I'm sure I read this in one of the treads, but I've been on so many that I can't remaber where the heck I saw it.:redface:

Once I get the motor in the car how do I start it? My understanding so far is that I just hook the ECU to the Stock Harness (More or less plug & play). I think that there is a fuse and relay panel that goes in the engine compartment as well. The question is where do I splice in the stock S30 harness to the RB harness? More to the point, Am I just simply runing a power wire the the RB harness???

I'm going to appologize or this :newbie: question, but my brain just farted & I can't see through the haze!

Wiring up the rb engine harness to stock 240z is not that hard.If you have factory manual,study EN-170,171 and 172 and the factory 240z You can figure it out. One advice if you dont have the factory FPCM (fuel pump control moduel, I think thats what they call it.) Just add a fuel pump relay. It will cause headaches .Basicly power up the ecu and the ignition. If you don't have the the rb factory manual do a search. If you have anymore question just let me know. I've done the factory harness and it works. The only thing is the engine runs very rich, I think its the computer.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hopeing to get the "Cheat Sheet" from someone. I've got so many things running through my head, that I'd hate to try and fire it up and fry the ECM.

If I have this right I'm going to run the wire that went to the coil to the ECM and a 12V constant to power up the ECU. The rest of the wires are left alone, Right?

I don't know why, but I can do everything else to a car except wireing. It just scares me to look at all the spaghetti.LOL

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have gone over the wiring Schematic a hundred times. If I have this right I only need to worry out the ground, 12V constant, and Ign On connections to the ECM from the stock wireing harness on my Z.

On the 26 that would be pin# 45, 49, 50, 58, 59, & 60

Somebody please agree or disagree with me.

Ok so lets see if I have this right now.

These should be all of the Power & Ground wires;

1) Pins: 109,59,49 & 16 connect to the ECCS Relay.

2) Pin: 58, ECCS Relay & Dropping Resistor Connect to the Bat, for a 12V constant.

3) Pin 45 & the FP relay connect to the Ign On.

4) Pin: 50,60,107,108,116,20 & 10 connect to the RB's ground harness.

5) 12V constant goes to Ign Relay , and then connects to pin 16 (before ECCS Relay).

The #2 "Harness" Gets connected to a 12V constant in the car (Through the fuse box.), and the #3 "Harness" gets connected to an Ign ON source in my Z.

I was hopeing to get the "Cheat Sheet" from someone. I've got so many things running through my head' date=' that I'd hate to try and fire it up and fry the ECM.

If I have this right I'm going to run the wire that went to the coil to the ECM and a 12V constant to power up the ECU. The rest of the wires are left alone, Right?

I don't know why, but I can do everything else to a car except wireing. It just scares me to look at all the spaghetti.LOL

Also remember that the volatage regulator on 240Z's (maybe 260Z's also) were externally regulated as the RB's are all internal. Search for that diode mod to bypass it or something. I think it helps the car shut down when you turn off the key or something, I can't remember.

Also remember that the volatage regulator on 240Z's (maybe 260Z's also) were externally regulated as the RB's are all internal. Search for that diode mod to bypass it or something. I think it helps the car shut down when you turn off the key or something, I can't remember.

I changed it over to a ZX alt already with an internal reg. I have a post on it in the Elec section. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106163

• 5 weeks later...
He doesn't even have the motor yet (to my knowledge). Oh yeah and...

bump

Hey no motor yet. It needs to thaw out around here first. LOL Working in 30 degree weather is not fun. Right now I'm gathering all the parts and information I need. I want to know what I'm doing before I start. I won't have time to mess around scratching my head' date=' once I start. The engine will be last (Probably at the end on March) I want the engine in & running within 2 weeks of starting the swap.

I think I have all of the mechanics of the swap worked out in my head. The Elec is still a bit sketchy. But I'm working through it. The plan will be to open up the stock S30 harness, splice in the RB, and re-wrap it. Now just got to figure what wire to splice where.

Hey Ed,

if you look under the dash, on the passenger side, there is a bunch of harnesses that connects the stock s30 engine harness to the chassis. go to the harness that has the start signal wire on it, i think it has like 6-8 prongs on it, and i beleive the start signal wire is black with white stripe. take a test light and try the other wires on that harness for power with the turn of the keyswitch. that was the most convienient place that i found to splice into because all the rest of the wires that i needed to splice into were in that general area. for ex, the start sig, the stock s30 coil power wire ( i used for RB IGN power) , water temp wire that goes to gauge, and ecu power, etc.

basically everything you need to wire the RB into s30 are under the dash, passenger side, just start playing with a volt meter.

Thanks for the info

Hey no motor yet. It needs to thaw out around here first. LOL Working in 30 degree weather is not fun. Right now I'm gathering all the parts and information I need. I want to know what I'm doing before I start. I won't have time to mess around scratching my head' date=' once I start. The engine will be last (Probably at the end on March) I want the engine in & running within 2 weeks of starting the swap.

I think I have all of the mechanics of the swap worked out in my head. The Elec is still a bit sketchy. But I'm working through it. The plan will be to open up the stock S30 harness, splice in the RB, and re-wrap it. Now just got to figure what wire to splice where.

Thanks for the info[/quote']

Thats what did. its really worth the time and effort to take apart both harnesses (old 240Z and new RB) and solder/shrink wrap, tape both the harnesses as simple and close to stock looking as possible. with the RB swap i got rid of so many 240Z wires simply becayse they wernt needed anymore. However, theres only so much you can think about "what to do" for the swap. I guess the only way to understand the wiring correctly is if its in front of your face. Not to bring your hopes down or anything, but rarely...... and almost never, do I ever have a problem free session when working on ANY car. So i can almost gaurantee your gonna run into a few head scratchers, no matter how much your study. its just the nature of working on cars.

But thats ok because you have us at hybrid for help!

Not to bring your hopes down or anything' date=' but rarely...... and almost never, do I ever have a problem free session when working on ANY car. So i can almost gaurantee your gonna run into a few head scratchers, no matter how much your study. its just the nature of working on cars.

But thats ok because you have us at hybrid for help![/quote']

Your not going to bring my hopes down. Rarley does anything work out exactly as planned, no matter how much you plan ahead. But I figure when I run into the problems I will hopefully have some idea of what to do next.

With my job I have more time to plan, and less time to actually do it. And currently I'm useing my Z as a dailey driver. So the down time has to be minimal. I'm going to start the prep work while the car is still on the road. I figure the actual Engine/Tranny install will take a day or 2. Final plumbing a day. Elec 1-3 days. Plus head scrathing 5-7 days.

• 3 weeks later...