HybridZ

Harbour Freight 230 V. MIG Welder on sale.

Anyone know about this welder ?????? A bargain or another piece of crap??? It is on sale for $249.00.. Looks like it has one dial for heat or speed. 10% duty cycle . The picture is an e-mail ad, which you copy and take to a Harbour Freight store to get the sale price. A current H F circular ad has a 120 volt mig welder for the same sale price.......

Personally I think I would pass on it. I had and still have but, never use one of the Harbor freight 110v welders and it sucked. I was very new at welding so I didn't know how bad until I started looking at welding on the web. I finally bought a new welder about 6 months ago and it's so much better. The exact same wire in the new welder was easier and much cleaner.

I tried one out a while back and found the wirespeed not very consistent and it made welding rather difficult. If you're looking for a good unit to do bird crap welds this would be a keeper. I'd stick with a known brand myself. I'm not sure what they use for liners, contact tips, etc.

Cary

I built my entire Z with one very similar to that. It did an admirable job.....subframes, bodywork, etc etc.....I have since bought a miller 115V with gas, and it is much much better, but that one will do the job. If it is all you can afford, it will do the job. If you can spend a bit more, do it.

BTW, since I have a new welder, I can sell my HF unit.....

I have a Craftsman that is crap with only a high and low heat range that I have learned to get around it's limotations. Some day a used Miller or Hobart will show up. My Lincoln was stolen so lonf age it is a dim memory but it welded great. The duty cycle on this HF sounds short-lived or inadequete .............As for buying Tim's LOL I do not know if he would sell to me unless I lived next door to him.He is a great guy in my book! ...............My friend Ocbaar is to get back with an appraisal on this welder. He is picking up a HF $2.98 (originally $9.95) multi tester for me

Don't get me wrong I love Harbor Freight for somethings like gloves, grinding wheels and 2.98 multi testers that if you lose or run over it doesn't matter.

The welder I have now is a Hobart and like many things I'm very happy with it but, I still think I could have bought better but, it would have cost more for similar features.

• 2 weeks later...