HybridZ

Picked up my new 71 240z!!!!

Finally got one. 1971 240z. Body is very straight, no rust.

Picked it up off a guy in the bay area who really needed to get rid of it. At the time when I looked at it it started and ran fine, tranny was not shifting too well, and had no top end. Its got a 327 sbc engine in it and a turbo 400 tranny. Its also got a Holley pro-jection fuel system on it which is kinda cool and worth some good money on ebay still. It wasnt tuned at all however. After I paid for it and tried to drive it home, it started making huge knocking sounds, i am 99.9%sure its got rod knock cause the engine is in pretty bad shape.

I pulled the motor apart today somewhat, its got an edelbrock manifold on it, spal electric fan setup, moroso electric water pump, not bad and its wired pretty neatly.

Its also got some blue springs and it sits nice and low.

The engine however is shot.

I was originally going to rebuild it and put an auto behind it, but now I am itching to put in an LT1 with a 6 speed, just a nice cam, some exhaust and intake work and just smash around in a 350whp 2500lb car.

BTW, after all was said and done(HUGE problems getting it home, i lived 200 miles away, left it on the road, had it towed away, had to pay fees, had to rent a truck to finally bring it home) After all was said and done, I still got it for a steal.

What does everyone think its worth if the engine was in good shape(as if i was to simply rebuild it?)

THe guy who owned it before this last guy was very proud of it, its got cool v8 240z badges on the back and inside, very neat touch.

Here she is:

yosemite2011.jpg

yosemite2007.jpg

yosemite2010.jpg

yosemite2012.jpg

yosemite2014.jpg

Way Cool Ride!

With v8 240z badges and the engine location is this an original Scarab car?? If is' date=' ...I think its worth more than the average hybrid in similar condition. Could someone here chime in on that. Nice find![/quote']

what is a scarab car?

Also, the holley tbi is kinda cool, old school but nice to tune it from the inside of the car, and it starts and runs easier, if it flows enough, i may just keep it

Does anyone know if the holley projection 675 tbi can support 350whp? I heard it compares to a 700cfm 4 barrel carb...but dont know the flow numbers on it, i like the drivability and tunability and its already all prewired, has a return fuel line, electric pump,etc

THe car has a nice badge on the back and 1 in the dashboard that says 240z v8 i think...very clean, looks factory

Hmm...cool I guess, im excited

Still considering building the 327 or just doing lt1...lt1 just sounds like a headache though with the wiring

Cool car. Will be worth the effort to get it running. Engine is mounted in the scarab position. Can tell by how far the distributor is from the firewall. It is not a Scarab built car because Scarab replaced the Datsun side labels with their own markers. Doesn't mean they didn't use a Scarab kit to mount the engine and tranny. Hard to believe that tiny, poorly shrouded with a stock radiator fan keeps that beast cool.

Must be a late 71 version because it doesn't have the vents on the rear hatch. The body looks extremely clean. That is 99% of the battle. The wheels are also classic 240Z. I really like that look, but most guys tend to get rid of those for the 16+ inch wheels.

The bumpers on that thing by themselves are worth some $$. Very clean.

LT1 should not be too bad of a swap. Get the JTR manual and cook book it. Probably the cheapest way to a running V8 and manual transmission. You will have to replace the pedal box to get a clutch pedal, but IMO it is worth it because I don't like autos.

If you get a chance, post a pic of the V8 240Z badges.

As for worth with a rebuilt motor: probably not a whole lot more than with the shot motor. V8 conversions don't draw an extremely high price. $5k-$6K is a common price for a clean, running V8 Z. That one might be worth a little more since it is a first gen 240. Just spending a weekend cleaning that thing up, polishing a few bits and laying carpet could easly add $1000 to the sale price.

Cool beans...

BUt stock fans? It has a spal electric fan with shroud, does a damn good job, as well as a moroso racing electric water pump thats always pumpng 35gph. DOes a decent job I think, but I will get an aluminum radiator

I figured i can pull the engine out and turbo 400 tranny and sell it as is. It a 327 so its more rare. I can also sell the moroso water pump. As well as the holley pro-jection kit thats now already on ebay, that should bring in a few hundred bucks

I think i got a damn good deal(minus the hassle and towing costs) but you are right, the body is 100% straight ,not 1 dent anywhere. Only rust is on the edge of the hood and 1 tiny spot on the door and a small scratch on the side, thats it. Panels are straight. Interior dash has almost no cracks!!!

Also, the bumpers, are they really work money ? Since i dont want them, im gonna run bumperless for a clean look. I do however LOVE that front bumper lip, its full urathane not cheap fiberglass, what bumper is that?? It looks killer on the car, makes the front look nice. Tailights and headlights look new.

Good looking car.I think this one was on e-bay for one day only, owner wanted to get rid of it and start bit with $600.00 I e-mail him, but got answer that the car is no longer for sale.Well, now i know what happend.

Also' date=' the bumpers, are they really work money ? Since i dont want them, im gonna run bumperless for a clean look.[/quote']

Most things on the Z are worth some moneyif in good shape by mere virtue of what people pay on ebay for used parts. That said, if you really decide to go bumperless (which many do here) I'd like that front bumper since I like the look of them. Email me or PM me if you decide to sell it.

Davy

I had the Holley injection on a mild 350 and found that it needed constant adjustment. If you decide to keep it I would get the optional O2 sensor' date=' which should help to keep it in tune.

Looks like you got the makins of a nice ride![/quote']

nope, its already on ebay;)

Just bought an engine for it finally

94 lt1 with aluminum heads, and the 4l60e tranny with ecu

It came out of a car that burned up, but the engine, tranny, ecu are in good shape. I may have gotten a killer deal because the engine seems to be heavily modified and the seller wasnt exactly sure with what.

Seems like it has long tube headers, a intake kit, aluminum roller 1.6 performance rockers with big valve springs, meaning it probably has a cam....the bottom end seems like its got a built block becaus the rods and bolts dont look stock and he says he is almost sure the pistons are domed...

Im excited, because i got it for a really good deal, $1000+ shipping!!!

Once it gets here i will tear it apart and go through it.