HybridZ

LS1 RX7 Dyno results

Hi everyone, this morning I went over to Synergy Motorsports in Fremont for an sd tune on the RX7 that I recently bought from John aka 'LS1240Z'. The owner, Rick, did a meticulous tune, and LS1Z knows what I mean :-D . The car was running hot (215-225 F operating temp) and so he only got one dyno pull while the car was at 190 F before he had to back the timing off quite a bit to keep it from pinging above 5k. The good news is that once I get the cooling problem handled I'll go back and see him for the performance tune we couldn't finish today.

Old: 421whp, 376tq

New: 438whp, 410tq

MAS280 has the same radiator so I know it can run cooler. I've got a thermostat to install and either shroudwork or a volvo 850 fan in my very near future. Hopefully with a cool motor, synthetic oil, velocity stack and more help from Rick we'll see 450whp next time around.

Driveability is fantastic and the cam can be driven down to idle with no bucking. He also tweaked between 1800-2800 rpm (sorta to emulate maf) to help keep mpg up at highway rpm levels. Responsiveness is way up. Anyone looking to get an outstanding tune with an LS1 in norcal needs to see this guy!

Thanks go to all the above mentioned Hybrid Z members who've helped me out with the new car!! :2thumbs:

Brett

Brett, I am using the same radiator that you are using. On my old car I used the stock RX7 fans and they would keep the car cool without any problems. On my new Car I am using the volvo 850-s80 fans and I like them better but hte rx7 fans will cool. Make sure that your fans are turning on right and that you are getting hi when it gets hot.

The 421 rwhp was using the dyno jet, what did you make on Ricks dyno before he did a tune?

So when will we see you at the track?

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm really digging the LS part myself. :-D

Brett' date=' I am using the same radiator that you are using. On my old car I used the stock RX7 fans and they would keep the car cool without any problems. On my new Car I am using the volvo 850-s80 fans and I like them better but hte rx7 fans will cool. Make sure that your fans are turning on right and that you are getting hi when it gets hot.

The 421 rwhp was using the dyno jet, what did you make on Ricks dyno before he did a tune?

So when will we see you at the track?

Mike[/quote']

I changed the thermostat today with no luck, tomorrow I'll pull the radiator to get to the fan shroud. There are two areas that can use attention so hopefully it'll cool down.

Rick didn't do a pre-tune dyno pull, just the ones he did after hours of running it on the dyno through various rpm ranges and loads.

As for the track, I'm waiting on wheels and tires. Nitto 555RII 275/40/17 in back, we'll see how it hooks up whenever enkei comes through. The car has been a lot of fun but it has big traction issues with 225s.

We're getting ready to install an Exedy Stage three Hyper single disc kit on the vette. The new Z06 clutch is starting to slip at higher revs. I'm hoping when I go back to the dyno on the 14th I'll have some better news with the few upgrades made since the last trip in November. Gotta get ready for Reynolds in late March.

Mike

Mikelly, I have been using the ls7 clutch with good luck.

Heavy Z, The 421 rwhp that the car made on the dynojet would be more like 440-460rwhp on Ricks dyno. Ricks dyno is very good for tunning but it does read high. I am going to take my RX7 over to Ricks shop for some dyno #'s with his dyno before I put on some ETP heads. I know that I made 507RWHP with the Dynojet.

Mike

The car was running hot (215-225 F operating temp) and so he only got one dyno pull while the car was at 190 F before he had to back the timing off quite a bit to keep it from pinging above 5k. The good news is that once I get the cooling problem handled I'll go back and see him for the performance tune we couldn't finish today.

MAS280 has the same radiator so I know it can run cooler. I've got a thermostat to install and either shroudwork or a volvo 850 fan in my very near future. Hopefully with a cool motor' date=' synthetic oil, velocity stack and more help from Rick we'll see 450whp next time around.

Brett[/quote']

I spoke to MAS280, and his car ran cool on the dyno.

MAS280 is running an LS2 water pump (from a 2005 GTO, which will work with the Camaro LS1 accessories).

The LS2 water pump has a different design. It appears the LS2 thermostat has a pressure relief spring that opens the thermostat at high engine speeds, which eliminates the time lag of the LS1 thermostat opening due to the temperature change.

Unfortunatly, you cannot install the LS2 thermostat into the LS1 water pump, but the LS2 waterpump does weigh 2 lbs less than the LS1 waterpump.

DAMN!!!!! BRETT!!!! Nice numbers!!! Wait a minute..... For those of you that don't know, The motor in my Z is IDENTICAL to Brett's. Same motor, heads, intake, cam ect...... Sooo what's the diff???? EXHAUST!!! Brett has dual exhaust and long tube headers. I believe his RX-7 is 2.5 all the way out and manderal bent. Could be wrong and John or Mike correct if so. Mine (didn't know at the time) is 2.5 into 3" and not manderal bent, And Sanderson/ JTR shorty's. No complaint about the headers! The amount I paid for my exhaust, It should be manderal bent! 850.00!!!! Live and learn!

Gotta get marching on the FD. Will be in contact, next time in Sac for some racing! Possibly next weekend the 14th!?

JOEY

Thanks Joey. As it is right now the car is 425hp/380tq so I'm anxious to see Rick to bump up the timing now that the car is running cool. I'm going to see if he is free next saturday, if not I'll come out to the track if you still plan to go.