HybridZ

scottyMIzt vs awd eclipse

scottyMIz

Ok guys i was at a friend's place visiting and we went to the lot where everyone hangs out.Everyone was checking out the two hybridz's mine and bumbleZ's.It was nice to get as many complements although not to many people knew what they where :D Well this kid comes up and knows aaron and dave so they are looking at my car and they ask what it runs so i told them.I had the hood open so everyone could see what i had.They asked if i wanted to run this kid's eclipse or talon what ever it was but it was a first gen car.My friend dave asked to open his hood and he said why it's all stock only 18 psi of boost.That kinda made me think hmmmmm.So we line up and BBZ flags us and he jumps before BBz starts us :confused: so i go and catch up a bit spinning in first hit second and the guys said they seen flames come out ofthe exhaust :eek: so i stay even thru the rest of the race and let off cuz i was goin well over 100 mph.We slow down he rolls down his window and says "good race i have to go now i don't wanna get cought by the cops" i said ok what ever and before i could say anything else he was gone.Oh well not bad for a car with two bad cylinders and 10 psi of boost.Can the dsm guys help here what mods do the awd eclipses and stuff need to get into the high 12's?

Scotty:

Before this 240, I had a '90 Talon AWD/Turbo and had put the K&N on it with a manual boost controller. Some of the guys with really strong motors and way high boost were turning mid to high 13's, but no one that I knew of was turning 12's w/out a 16G and other mods.

With my set up, I was running the high 13's/low 14's and that was ragging the heck out of it.

Don't think that he was just pushing 18 lbs of boost.... shifty.gif

Hey Scotty,

Saw you driving Eastbound on I-69 yesterday. Must have been coming back from the West side.

An old friend of mine built up a 92 AWD Plymouth Laser (only year for AWD turbo Laser I'm told) than ran mid 12's. It was actually a pretty simple setup. The biggest improvement was the turbo. He had the 16G turbine with a 20G compressor... similar to a T3/4 hybrid setup. From there, he added a full three inch exhaust from the turbo back with one muffler. The biggest restriction on these motors are the O^2 elbows that come off the turbo's. A good way to determine if someone is serious... is too look for an aftermarket O^2 elbow. Most all of the large downpipes have the O^2 elbow integrated into the pipe.

Next, he installed a larger intercooler, but opted for the fenderwell location instead of a front mount ($$$$). Finally, he ran the APEXi fuel controller with a Blitz boost controller. Running 15 - 16 psi, he ran off numerous 12.5 second runs. Pretty conservative launch as well. He was only turning 1.8 sixty footers. He was worried about his S-T-O-C-K clutch giving out and didn't want to launch it too hard. Last I heard, he was looking into building up the drive train to handle full launches. I believe he was shooting for high 11's with this setup.

The greatest thing about this car, was the fact that it looked BOX stock with the exception of the three inch pipe coming out back.

-Andy

P.S. CV axle let loose on my car and wiped out about everything attached to the rear passenger A-arm. To say I'm discouraged is an understatement.

It was the Z's axle... frown.gif

I drove it up to my cottege on Labor day weekend (82 miles) without any problems at all. On Sunday, my Dad wasn't feeling good and decided to go home. Since I planned on using his truck to pull the boat into town, he drove my Z home. He made it home without incident. When I got to his place, I made it one block away before the final bolt let loose and tore everything to schit!

I loc-tightened those son's of mother f#%kers too!

I have given up completely on CV's in the Z. I will be switching to the old stand by U-joint shafts whenever I feel like working on that P.O.S. again. fmad.gif

Also, I'm working on the Times Page updates as we speak.

-Andy

sorry to hear that andy but you'll get it.I'm scared to snap my u jointed half shafts so i think i'm just gonna buy a set of adapters from ross.This thing looked totally stock from the outside but like i said he wouldn't open the hood so i know he was hiding something.I don't doubt these cars can be fast cuz it did really well and i would have had a better race with him if we would have taken off at the same time ;) I didn't see you andy what where you driving?Did you see the blue 75 280z behind me?It was my friend's new z we are plannign another bad ass hybrid this winter so you'll have another turbo z to deal with instead of just me tongue.gif

I did some further investigation... and I'm starting to think that my dumb ass used anti-seize instead of Loc-Tite. :rolleyes:

Hey, they both come in similar looking containers and they all had dirt and grease smeared over them. But still, I had lock washers on both sides of all the bolts and everything was torqued down to at least 80 ft*lbs. I am suspecious that my welded differential didn't help things out either. There is a lot more stress oin those stub axle's in slow turns then there ever was before.

Scotty, if you want to give my adapters a try... go for it! I can even throw in the CV's if you want. The passenger side needs a new backing plate, spring and loc ball... but besides that it looks perfect. I'm just sick of phucking around with it. There is a difference between wanting to work on a car... and having to work on a car. I feel like I'm busting my ass just to get the Z up to the level it once was before. I'm still trying though, and if I recall Lapeer stays open until Thanksgiving!!!

rockon.gif

Also, do you (Scotty) have any extra half shaft to stub axle bolts? I had to shorten mine for the CV adapters and they will no longer work with the U-Joint shafts.

-Andy

Scotty, You're from Michigan and you fell for that one?

Everyone knows that a CHASE IS A RACE. If your opponent leaves before you(when running heads-up), never try to run him down, unless you are positive you can. Around here, if you go into second gear, it's a race. I've let out of it before when my opponent launched early. This is why I like the drag strip these days, heads-up off a tree.

Remember, A Chase is a Race.

i didn't say i won i did lose but i wish he had given me another chance to try but i think he saw how quick the car was and wanted to stay the winner ;) I'll get him next time it's no big deal

Andy i do have extra half shafts and bolts so if you want them you can have them no charge.

I feel better with cv's than the u jointed half shafts so i'll take you up on that offer andy :D thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i know that you can get the stock turbo mchined out and put larger turbines/parts in it so that it can produce over 20lbs of boost. i also know that the talon's bottom end can handle over 400. with that amount of hp, you can run easily in the 12's. my 2cents...

Guest Anonymous

the trannys for those cars are absolute crap, my 2nd gen had a horrible time with the gear synchros. he probably had:

bigger fuel pump, hard i/c lines, ported exhaust manifold, 2 1/2" cat back (if not 3") exhaust, manual boost controller, and SOME kind of turbo modification. He either had a 16G, or some derivitive, or had it ported like drew said. he would need a pretty decent clutch plate (like a 2600 lb ACT) to put the power to the ground in an awd. they are hard on trannies

laaaaaaaaaates