HybridZ

Rebuilding a 1987 3.70 LSD

Guest zfan

Well went to the track the other day and while heating the tires I heard a strange whining noise. After a half dozen 1.55 60 ft.'s I pulled the plug on the rear diff. and low and behold I found clutch part in th fluid and on the magnetic drain plug.

I drained it and cleaned it completly and thru in some new fluid and took her for a spin. No whine but it's now a one wheel wonder. Can the clutch type LSD's be rebuilt? If so does anyone know anyone who does?

Either way I guess I will prowl around for another one. I passed on two last year at the bone yard, never to do that again.

Mike

Terry,

The 1/4 mile track is closed this time of year. I have been cutting 1.50's since going to slicks, small ones at that. 26x8.5x15 M/T ET Drags on a 8" rim.

I have been going to the 1/8th mile tracks at Redline and Kennedale. I am running 6.90's on the motor right now so I should be able to sqeeze out a high 10 second pass once the track opens.

Mike

What piece of the clutch did you find? That sounds like bad news to me. Anyway, here's some info on shimming them tight (which is pretty darn easy to do): http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=92629

The Power Brute diff sold by http://www.differentials.com and http://www.reiderracing.com are Nissan LSDs. You could buy a new one for ~$500.

There are also the KAAZ and Cuzco diffs sold for the 240SX that would fit into our R200, just as long as you didn't get the one meant to replace the VLSD unit.

The Quaife should work well for drag racing if you want to go that route, but it's another $1000 more than a new Power Brute. You might also see about importing one of these gear types from New Zealand or Australia (I know 260DET has mentioned them before). They have a different manufacturer there selling them for ~$800 IIRC. The Quaife is ridiculously overpriced IMHO.

There's a lot of options. I think the first might be to see what happened to yours and if you can shim it tight again or if you really broke something.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the rear diff. apart and was suprised to find a few clutches had lost their ears but otherwise no bad damage. Problem is nobody carries any of the parts to repair the diff anymore.

Called Good old Courtesy Nissan only to find out all the parts are NLA. Looks like the 3.70 LSD is not the way to go anymore. I will look in the bone yards for one as I have found a few in the last 2 years but like a dumb *** I didn't purchase them at 120 a pop.

How much stronger are the r230's, I need to build a rear end that will not break. Hell I do drag race but am only putting down 365rwhp and 430rwtq.

Looks like I have a boat anchor or open diff.

Mike

Took the rear diff. apart and was suprised to find a few clutches had lost their ears but otherwise no bad damage. Problem is nobody carries any of the parts to repair the diff anymore.

Called Good old Courtesy Nissan only to find out all the parts are NLA. Looks like the 3.70 LSD is not the way to go anymore. I will look in the bone yards for one as I have found a few in the last 2 years but like a dumb *** I didn't purchase them at 120 a pop.

How much stronger are the r230's' date=' I need to build a rear end that will not break. Hell I do drag race but am only putting down 365rwhp and 430rwtq.

Looks like I have a boat anchor or open diff.[/quote']

Hehe. Kinda funny. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107153

If he figures out what material to use for the clutches, maybe he should make a run of 50 or 100.

I think the problem with the drag racers is that you're really only using ONE clutch to put the power to the side gears. If you get rid of that thick spacer and run more clutches that would seriously increase the strength of the diff.

If you're fed up and it is just a boat anchor to you let me know. I could always use a spare, and I'd go through the hassle to get some clutches made...