HybridZ

Wiring lt1 questions

...its mind boggling.

Originally Posted by 80LT1

If you buy a factory service manual or do what I did and get a subscription to ALLDATA ONLINE,

$100 from Helms for an Fbody factory service manual and ? for the Alldata subscription... This can add up.

Nazar,

I will say it again... and I know there are tons of people that did the harness by themselves.. I design and build control panels for a living and have plenty of wiring experience as well as experience reading diagrams.....

It was soooo much easier and worth it to me to send off the harness and get it back in 2 days with all the leads labeled and done. No headaches. A couple of hundred was nothing to avoid even thinking about it. Plus once you get a harness from LT1350.com, you get telephone service from a guy that knows his stuff. Which I used to correct a problem I had with my autometer speedometer not feeding back enough power to the computer for it to recognize it. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103503

I only used the ECU/Engine harness. Nothing from the interior harness at all.

Good luck and invest in Tylenol :)

Nazar,

I agree with jcb3 but if you really want to undertake this type of work you need to have a basic understanding. if you haven't looked at this link go to it down load the document and study it for a little while and the light bulb will come on.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105112&highlight=LT1+wiring

Other people have reviewed it and said it works so give it a try. From the information you have 5 terminals from the Camaro harness you have to worry about; c100, c105, c210, c220, and c230. You need to locate these 5 first. From these 5 connectors YOU will have to use (tap into) 19 pins. C100-3 taps, c105-2taps, c210-1taps, c220-6taps, c230-7taps for a total of 19 connections YOU have to make using the Datsun wiring harness. That is why a Datsun wiring schematic is needed. You can have someone build or modify a Camaro harness for you but YOU still have to wire it into the Datsun harness or pay somebody to do it. Let’s take ONE of the connector’s c210 as an example. If I'm not mistaken it is a four terminal plug. In the Camaro, 3 out of the four terminals on this plug are being used. WHEN YOU HOOK THIS CONNECTOR UP TO YOUR DATSUN ONLY ONE TERMINAL IS USED - TERMINAL B which is a ground, That’s it. You find the B terminal put a ground on it and your done! Go through the other 4 plugs the same way and you’re done. Granted some of the others are a "little" more difficult to figure out but that is what YOU have to do. When people send out there Camaro engine harness to be reworked all the EXTRA wires in the harness have been removed all the way back to the ECM (those 4 big connectors). You tell them for example, I am not running ANY pollution equipment and they strip out all those wires and YOU have to reprogram the ECM to let it know that the EGR valve is gone and so forth. If you do this yourself you still have to tell the ECM that the EGR valve is gone but you leave the wires going the actual equipment alone in the harness as your not using it but who cares it's just hanging out. All you have to be concerned about is the 19 wires YOU have to hookup.

Some of the more experience guys chime in if I'm wrong here - THANKS.

Danno74Z

would anyone be kind enough to go through those 19 connections? That would be worth money to me, i'm willing to pay for your tylenol to type that up:)

You talk about 5 connectors, youre not talking about hte main big ones? There are only 4 going to the ecu

I stil dont understand after looking at that link i posted, of the harness broken down, where any of it plugs into a ground or battery?

Also, this guy who rewires the stock harness, he doesnt just pull out what we dont use and relabel the harness, does he actually pin out the 19 connections we need to make and label those? If so, that could be of great help.

My other problem is that the 240z already had a 327 small block in it, so who knows what parts of the stock harness are there or modified....hmmm...

In that diagram, there are 6 connections to the ecu, am i just not reading it right? Arent there 4 main plugs? YES PEOPLE, im an idiot when it comes to wiring diagrams

In that diagram, there are 6 connections to the ecu, am i just not reading it right? Arent there 4 main plugs? YES PEOPLE, im an idiot when it comes to wiring diagrams

Well maybe getting your harness modified by someone who knows what they are doing is a good idea?

The power and grounds will have to be run right from the PCM to the proper power wires and to a sutiable ground. I know you dont see any "open ended" wires but if you read the wiring diagram and understand it you will know what we mean.

Guy

Here are a couple of pictures of a modified harness. As you can see from this photo, the harness WITH THE FOUR PLUGS RED, BLUE, BLACK, GREY GO TO THE COMPUTER - THAT'S IT! They are located just off from the center to the left. All the wires with no connectors to the far left YOU hookup to the Datsun harness any way you want. This is up to you to do. All the connectors on the far right go to the engine. A shop manual comes in handy here if you don't know where they go.

94_95_LT10001.jpg

Here is a close-up of the wires you hookup to the Datsun. As you can see they are labeled and need to have connector pins or eye connectors installed. A professional would take these loose wires and put waterproof connectors on them and fine the corresponding datsun wires and mate them up like the factory after your satisfied every thing works.

94_95_LT10006.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of a modified harness. As you can see from this photo' date=' the harness WITH THE FOUR PLUGS RED, BLUE, BLACK, GREY GO TO THE COMPUTER - THAT'S IT! They are located just off from the center to the left. All the wires with no connectors to the far left YOU hookup to the Datsun harness any way you want. This is up to you to do. All the connectors on the far right go to the engine. A shop manual comes in handy here if you don't know where they go.

[img']http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f262/enginewiring/94_95_LT10001.jpg[/img]

Here is a close-up of the wires you hookup to the Datsun. As you can see they are labeled and need to have connector pins or eye connectors installed. A professional would take these loose wires and put waterproof connectors on them and fine the corresponding datsun wires and mate them up like the factory after your satisfied every thing works.

94_95_LT10006.jpg

and this cost how much? Those naked wires, are they wires that were wiring INTO the harness?

Because I have a chunk of wiring that I think went inside the cab on the camaro that was cut..but i dont think we use those anyways

Thanks for the help guys

hell from that picture of what i can tell, that makes it DAMN easy, those naked wires that are prelabeled just hook up to the datsun using a datsun diagram, hook the rest up to the lt1(no brainer) and thats it huh....****, seems easy enough

Who can i pay to modify my harness like that? Thats awesome

My harness isnt as clean since hte donor car was on fire, but the wiring seems fine, just some of the wrap has a bit of damage, but as far as i can see the wires are all intact. I do need a new map sensor i think as the camaro one melted.

I feel like im getting closer:)

looks like ill be sending mine out tomorow:)

SOrry guys for sounding like such an idiot, wiring just gives me a headache. I do have a badass diagnostics tech/wiring genious at my buddies shop who can help me out along the way, all he does at the shop is wire standalones into cars, he just finished wiring up a supra motor/ecu in a 260z

But i still gonna send mine out to get modified like above, that will make our lives much easier.

1 other question: Like i stated before, i have a chunk of wiring that was cut, it seems like a set of wires going into the cab from the ecu harness because it was cut at the rubber grommet, probably like 15 wires or so in bulk, is this ok? Which part of the harness would this be? I will take pictures tomorow.

THanks guys

Danno has said it a couple of times, here is the link to my paper:

MS Word document

Paper updated 1-11-06.

Wiring usually is a PITA, especially when you have to guess:

It's always the red wire!

Are you sure?

If the plugs inside the car are gone, this will make identifying the wires more difficult, but not impossible. They should still be bundled together and once unwrapped, be identifiable by color.

I see you've visited Shoebox's website. This is a goldmine of information for the LT1 and related parts. I just sent a few $ to him via Paypal since his website has been so much help with my Trans Am & now the 280Z.

What is your time worth? I spent a month working 2-3 hours at a time in the garage 3-4 nights a week on wiring. For $275, I'd say the above deal is a good value, but you will always have to splice/connect something somewhere for this conversion.