HybridZ

5.0L rear sump for cross member clearance

s3079893

Hi,

I was just wondering which sump works with the 5.0L swap. My sump is currently a forward sump and just looking at it theres no way i can fit it above the crossmember. I have seen rear sumps on the net but if i get one of them can i use my stock oil pump? The oil pump seems to stick out quite a bit and it's probably going to end up right above the cross member

Any Thoughts?

Cheers

I have a 1989 5.0L in my 260Z, and I have been driving it for over five years. The 1989 uses the rear sump type pan. In order to squeeze the engine in to the stock chassis, I had to do a couple of things:

First, I moved the oil plug for the front sump from the front corner to the bottom. This gave me ~1/2" additional clearance, and made it possible to remove the drain plug from the front sump.

Second, I put a 3/16" plate between the front crossmember and the frame. This created some more clearance.

Third, I slightly notched the driver's side of the hood latch to clear the curve of the EFI intake.

Fourth (this is important), I installed the engine at a 2.5 degree angle. This required me to adjust the angle of the differential to match. I raised the rear of the differential by removing the washers above the mustache bar.

Since the original installation, I have wrecked the car and replaced the front end with a tubular chassis, but the engine is still in the same location (though now mounted using a front plate/mid-plate set-up).

Here are some pictures that show the relationship of the harmonic balancer / pan to the steering rack/crossmember.

PICT0009.JPG

PICT00081.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

Hey guys, I finally got my 88 5.0L Mustang engine in the Z last weekend and took some pics to show the sump/cross member clearance...

Its currently sitting on some wood blocks, about an 3/4 inch too high and 1 inch too forward so it is just hitting the cross member. If I move it back and down it will clear with about an 1 inch space to the firewall... A tight fit for sure... I started having doubts when I was putting it in (with the T5).

I will have to notch the hood latch and am considering notching the "lip" on the cross member if I have to. But I really like the way 74_5.0L_Z added a 3/16 inch spacer under the cross member mounts, so will give that a try first (thanks!).

pass_angle.jpg

pass_firewall.jpg

pass_xmember.jpg

driver_xmember.jpg

balancer_rack.jpg

ahhh,

I think i can see my problem here. on the 280zx the rack sits behind the x member, reducing the space for the sump. I think my best bet is to try and locate a oil pump that doesn't stick out the bottom of the engine to much, then just fabricate my current front sump into a rear sump. It also looks like the early z's have more distance b/w the firewall and the cross member than the 280zx(does anyone know if this is the case?). any thanks again for the great pics.

Cheers

The engine bay of the S30 chassis is about 3 inches longer than the engine bay of the S130. Where exactly this space disappears I'm not sure but none of the guys who've installed V8s into a ZX have used the set back position that most Z car V8s end up in, this makes me think the distance from the firewall to the crossmember is where the difference lies.

If I'm not mistaken you'll be one of the first to swap a Ford V8 into the ZX (S130) chassis.

Wheelman