HybridZ

What is the easiest CAD program to learn? (Don't have a clue)

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I've been elected/volenteered to learn how to use a CAD program at my work.

I've tried Qcad and Turbo Cad and the learning curve is steep. I only need to do drawings in 2D and for the most part they are simple. I'm computer savoy enough to do most things but not CAD. My parent company uses Solid Works so I was thinking about trying that next since there are "dummy" books published.

I've noticed that the programs I've tried to use so far realy on commnad line I think this is where the challenge is coming in. The local CC only offers classes to those who have pre-reqs.

Suggestions? For someone who considers themself to be mechanically inclined these programs can make one feel like a moron. Better with my hands I guess!

BTW: I do plan on going back to school to get a degree in ME but this is down the road and won't help any time soon.

Isk

autocad. I use architectural desktop, with express tools, forgot the version, but its about the same as 2002.

Learn autocad, because everyone else uses it. you must give in. Join the bandwagon. Become a zombie like the rest of us.

On autocad, you can use the menu system as you acquaint yourself with the command line. Eventually you will start to use more and more command line commands and drafting becomes a cinch.

after a while, you'll start turning the menus off one by one as you learn more shortcuts until you're left with a pure drafting space. So my suggestion is, learn autocad 2000 or newer.

I am in an Archectural Design class and we use AutoCad im not sure of the year i think its around 2003, but we have dummy books for it and they work wonders. At the beginning of the semester I felt like an idiot, and now i can use the system pretty easily without any problems. If you want any info on the dummy books just let me know ill try to find it all out.

Learn autocad, because everyone else uses it. you must give in. Join the bandwagon. Become a zombie like the rest of us.

I'm sure this is a bit tongue-in-cheek ( :-D ), and it's likely true in the architecture/structural design world. It's definately NOT true (that everyone else uses it) when it comes to product design, tooling design, mold/die design... etc.

iskone, what do you need to draft? That will drive your CAD requirements.

Solidworks is an entirely different beast than AutoCad. It is design intensive and revolves (almost entirely) around 3D modelling. The 2D drawing features are included so that any 3D model can be dimensioned/toleranced for production/review. It's parametric and pretty intuitive (there are no command lines, but you can setup keyboard shortcuts).

AutoCAD is 2D first and 3D second. The learning curve is not very steep and (unless things have changed) is NOT parametric whatsoever. Don't get me wrong... it's a GREAT program for strictly 2D work. Okimoto and 24_oz both use it for Architectural work and that is where it comes into it's own.

I use Solidworks almost exclusively, but I do mechanical design and have to build multi-part assemblies. The ability to design and integrate seperate parts, check fit, form, function and determine feasibility of manufacture are important to my job. Solidworks outshines AutoCAD in that respect. I DO use AutoCAD from time to time, but only to revise older prints or make plant layout changes.

If you have to do any amount of data/file-sharing with your parent company then I would suggest you get SW.

I learned to use Solid Edge in college, really liked it, once I started working they used Solid Works, at first I hated it, after a while I got used to it.

We also used AutoCAD, I never liked it, everything seemed very difficult, I used this mostly to update blueprints for the different parts we had.

Well, first off thanks for the replies!

Are the "dummy" books readily available for Autocad? I'll search Amazon.

Does SW have all the same capabilities of Autocad when it comes to 2D drawings?

I will mostly need to do 2D drawings. The drawings will be fairly simple with no moving parts however multiple parts will need to be assembled. I would llike to learn what the parent company uses for ease of sharing drawings and information. As it stands now they do all thew drawings for us then fax us a copy I tell them "No. I said do this and that. Not that and this." You can get the idea.

I defenitly be interested in learning a program like SW for my future education plans. The school I'm thinking about attending is highly involved with robotics. My pipe dream though is just to design better engine compenents and supsensions.

The name of the school is St. Martins, BTW. I'm looking at them mostly because the ME graduating class has never been more then 8 people. They only have around 2,000 students. My house is located between the school and my work. To attend a different school I'd have to quit my job and sell my house.

EDIT: Forgot to ask if anybody has tried the student version of SW. The site says it as all the capabilities of SW but is not intended for manufacturing use. Is this just the licence they issue?

Isk

at first I hated it, after a while I got used to it.

It does, in part, come down to personal preference and experience. I used to tutor/train other engineers who were making the switch from AutoCAD to SolidWorks. Roughly 80% of them absolutely HATED SW when they first started using it. The two programs accomplish the same task in entirely different ways and you have to un-learn AC to use SW. 90% of that 80% love SW now that they have more experience with it. Eh... go figure!

AutoCAD is 2D first and 3D second. The learning curve is not very steep and (unless things have changed) is NOT parametric whatsoever. Don't get me wrong... it's a GREAT program for strictly 2D work.

I'd consider the 3D in autocad to rank 3rd of the two options unless you're using mechanical desktop or some other add-on ;) (I teach engineering graphics / autocad at a local university)

If you want something easy and cheap, look into Rhino3D. It's primarily a 3D surface modelling package, but does 2D quite nicely so long as you don't need all the extras (symbols, libraries, etc) that autocad includes. You can dowload it for free and try it out at rhino3d.com.

I'd consider the 3D in autocad to rank 3rd of the two options unless you're using mechanical desktop or some other add-on

LOL... very true! You definately need Mech. Desktop if you want to do 3D in AC. Rhino is a good option for surface modeling. I have more experience with 3DSMax... can Rhino generate 2D prints (with dims and tolerances)?

I'll try out rhino3d.

One of the problems with SW is I can't DL a trial copy anywhere.

Yeah... I don't think they offer a trial version.

What type of drafting do you need to do? Rhino may not have the 2D print capability.

*edit* I looked up Rhino (http://www.rhino3d.com/cad.htm). Looks pretty impressive for the investment.

I'm not sure what you mean by what type of drafting. Do you mean 2D or 3D? Or what feild I'm in.

I work for a company that manufactures calibration and purifacation devices for the scientific industry. I really just need something we can design new product concepts in 2D with. So far I've done a dozen or so drawings to the specs we've come up with. To this point it has all been done by hand, slowly.

We often have to design evrything that goes into the manufacture of our devices. Such as custom oil baths, manifold systems, gas filling apparati, any type of custom tooling.

I just need a better way to do things for the company and the ability to change dimensions on the fly would be nice. On the fly adjustments are pretty slow with a pencil.

I have little experience drawing things in a professinal manner so I find it very challenging at times, espeically when it comes to making calculations based on measurements.

I definetly need to be able tp print a hard copy in 2D.

If/when I become competent at this I better get a big a$$ raise!!!

Isk

Hmmm. Rhino3d looks like a good deal but it doesn't look like it will be the best for 2D. I sent an e-mail to them I'll seee what they say.

I did like the online classes though. I'm going to look for online classes for other programs as well.

Isk

I have been doing mechanical, electrical, and architectural drafting using auto CAD for the past 11 years, and from what you just described I personaly think that auto CAD lite would work very well for you. You can find very inexpensive or sometimes free night classes for auto CAD, you just need to do some checking around with the adult education programs in your area. In my opinion in order for you to use auto CAD with any real effeciancy you should take at least one class prior to self teaching and using the how to books. Once you understand the fundimentals (learned from classroom teaching) then you can gain alot more from the how to books.

As far as a version of auto CAD I am personaly using version 2006 and I would not recomend that you start with any version older than 2004 because you will already be out of date for the majority of the industry. I also have SW and Pro E and I can tell you that for your job (from what you discribed) auto CAD is best but for enginering and making 3D drawings etc. stay away from auto CAD and use SW or Pro E.

Dragonfly

Yeah, it's in Lacey. I live in Bremerton and they offer a full degre through the local CC.

I like to work with my hands too. With my current job I spend about half at the desk and the other half on the production floor.

Isk

It's true, I use autocad for architecture and engineering (as related to arch). I use it in 2D unless doing a presentation or model. I learned how to use autocad and mastercam in high school on an XT using all text commands. Old habits die hard, and I still use text commands. I don't know. It's just that these new programs out now... you click a 'button' with a mouse, it's like surfing the web or using microsoft paint. When I'm using something like revit or sketchup with no command line... It's almost as if the programmers are mocking me for being too dumb to be able to type a command. Maybe it's just me?

I say, try them all. I lean towards autocad because if you ever share files... everyone can open a .dxf or .dwg file. But Solidworks might be the one that makes you more valueble to your employer, and you will be able to treat us out to a hybridz bbq. ;)