HybridZ

New alternator mounting bracket for LT1

looks like this is a no brainer, ive been researching on how to setup my belts and some people are building custom idler pulleys and stuff, well this seems like it would fix everything if you're only running an alternator, this is great, and good price

Plus, this would clear up ALOT of space....alternator huge aluminum bracket, power steering pump and pulley, ac pump and pulley, idler, all that garbage...WOHOO...im ordering it...lol...excited about a mount, jeez

I guess we have to get the specific alternator as well, i guess the car can use a new one anyways

I made a bracket and pulley set-up for mine. Here are pics of it in the car, and you can see that it would probably clear the frame rail. BUT the engine mount is right behind my bracket and I think that the alternator would not fit in that lower position. I am using the JTR mounts. A Scarab set-up would probably allow enough room for the alternator to be down there.

altbracket1.jpg

altbracket2.jpg

altbracket3.jpg

i wont be using my old scarab setup because i got a t56 and i need it to line up so i will be ordering the JTR kit...

hm....damn the engine sits low in that setup....jeez...I hope it does cause it would look soo much cleaner

Are you worried that it would hit the motor mount? because that picture is a specific to lt1 engines, that alternator is pictured on a lt1...and since the engine mount is the same as in your car, i assume it would clear....seems like the alternator sits right where your idler puley and bracket setup is...also they say it will only work with a certain gm alternator(i think its smaller as well) maybe this is why it works?

The motor mount can be partially seen in the third picture that I posted. There is just an inch or so between the bracket I made and the motor mount. The alternator is 5 or 6 inches deep. Do the math.

I am sure that that mount fits fine on an LT1... just not in a 280Z in the set-back position. I suspect that the 240 is just as tight if not more. That alternator mount is advertised to fit in a Camaro.

You need to get the motor/trans, get the mounts, get the motor and trans in the car and see for yourself what room you will have. It's not much down there.

And yes the motor sits low. The balance is just in front of the rack.

Jody

Others have said the low mount LT1 alternator bracket doesn't fit... The alternator hits the motor mount.

Look at Darius's bracket on his car, this might be about as good as it gets, but it still runs an idler...

I hope in the next 3-4 weeks I will start fabbing a bracket similar to Darius' and I will let you know how it goes. That is if I can get my car out of the US and through customs into the Netherlands...

Check out this site for dimensions and see if it will fit... I think the engine mount is in the way...

http://alangrovecomponents.com/images/Dimensions/227R.GIF

I traded some emails with a guy running an LT1 that used the bracket in question. He said he had to put 4 inches worth of spacers behind it and on the harmonic balancer/pulley to get it to work.

Wheelman

hmm...good idea

i just dont like the alternator sitting high up like that on a performance motor, reminds me of a truck...just not pretty to look at and forces you to run a long belt with a bunch of idler pulleys

Maybe a set of deep spacers would work out well...wonder how the spacer will affect the balancer, since its there to...well...balance, lol

I may try that, i just like how it looks all clean, and there is definetly tons of room to move things up on a JTR mounted lt1, lol....hell, you can stand in the engine bay in front of the motor

I have an idea. Put spacers under the three bolts holding the bracket to the engine and mount the alternator facing backwards. That way the alternator will be in front of the belt. May have to flip that adjusting arm upside down and backwards also.

Only problem I can see is the alternator will spin backwards. I think the electrical part will be OK, but not sure what will happen to the cooling flow with that impeller going backwards.

• 2 months later...
Guest DaMeat

I think a Marine alternator will work in this setup... They often mount on the front of the engine flipped around...

I'm gonna figure something out myself, I got 2 weeks to get an alternator setup that works without all those stock idlers and pulleys. Wish me luck

Guest DaMeat

Anyone considered a super mini Nippon Denso alternator? I want to know how small, small is? I know they only got 50-60 amps, that's enough for an LT-1 with a "normal" stereo so I would be happy enough...

It has been a hell of a time finding actual dimensions on the thing...

I used an old style bracket. Cost ~$10 and combined with a shortpiece of pipe bracket wasmade in <30 minutes.

My car is not here or I would give apic of it. Cleared my260 with ease. Requires an alternator from 87 truck I think it was. Other problem is the belt is only a 5 rib but I haven't had a problem revving it to ~6700

good luck

Also realised the bracket is cut roughly in half and one bolt for the water pump acts as the 'pivot' point for the new bracket. The other long bolt and spacer I think bolts to the block. I will visit my car this weekend and try to get pics developed if you still need a view

Hope this helps, but as aminimum you know it can be done for less than $20