HybridZ

Mysterious starter problems

Currently my starter isnt doing anything i turn the key i dont here a click a turn anything if tried smacking the solenoid to no avail. Before i put in my new battery starter seemed fine and turned the engine (slowly Probally becuase it has been sitting for 3 years) And seemed fine. The battery that was in it was quite fubered. I bought a new one. So got in tested lights blinkers etc everything seems fine. I turn the key ....Nothing. Anyways i took out the starter and im probally going to put it back in and try wobbling the key and see if that works. Besides that all fuses etc seem good. Any ideas?

MayOlives - I dont think i want to mess with the wiring considering this is a new wiring harness

Oh yeah sorry but its a datsun 280z

Kcelectronics - Yeah that small wire is still connected i thought that was the ground and by the two connwectors do you mean the two directly next to eachother or the one with the wire leading off and the other thats bolted to the tranny

There are 2 studs with nuts on the front end of the solenoid right next to the small wire, 1 is the battery cable the other has a heavy copper wire that disappears inside the starter housing, if you use a big screw driver to Short/connect these together the starter should spin over

What you are doing is the same as turning the key this is exactly what the solenoid does inside.

The small wire activates the solenoid, if you put 12v to it should also spin over the motor

Chuckie:twisted: