HybridZ

N42 intake question....

FEnatic

• Administrators

The intakes you seek that are cast with NO EGR, came on the ’75 and ’76, 48 state, or otherwise known as the “federal” cars. ALL California 280Z cars received the EGR manifold, including the N-42 of the ’75 and ’76.

So if you are looking in California wrecking yards, the chances of finding one of these early intakes with-OUT the EGR is going to be pretty much nil unless the car was imported from out of sate, or someone transplanted the intake on that car.

Hope that helps…

This is just one of many N-42 intakes that I’ve cleanup to varying degrees of “uncluttered” over the years. This particular one is currently undergoing even further modification to accept modern O-ring injectors and removal of the throttle linkage towers in preparation for cable activation.

Pearls.jpg

yeah, it was a 48 state only car. calif got all the pollution junk very early on.

interestingly enough, I have one for sale. in great shape. bare bones intake. I also have a 60MM 240SX TB. PM me with an offer, and I know what they go for so please, dont low ball me. Im reasonable, but Im not crazy or stupid.

• Administrators
BRAAP the stock N42 manifold will accept O-ring injectors.. you just need the fuel rail my man..

Im running Toyota Supra 440cc injectors

Thanks for the tip. Just received 8 feet of extruded fuel rail for the SOLO-II car and the V-8 car.

Those are some pretty BIG injectors. Coolio… I’m starting out with 19 lb/hr' date=' most likely going up to 21, maybe 24 lb/hr for this N/A SOLO-II L-28 project

This particular manifold is for my personal “F”-Prepared SOLO-II 240 Z, L-28 w/flat tops, MN-47 head, very mild cam, etc. It is currently getting distributor-LESS ign and speed density stand alone EFI, (MSnS-E with EDIS-6. We now have an EDIS test bench up and running playing with different EDIS stuff. Got some GREAT pics of my EDIS-6 and EDIS-8 sparking the cheapo AC plugs, http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103781 ). As for the mod on this N-42 intake, I plan to remove the injector “mounts” themselves to give it a little cleaner overall appearance. Being as this is going on my race car, I’m not going “all out” on it, only partially out. Ron Tyler received my most ALL out intake thus far, turned out really nice, IMnSHO, LOL

Though, an IR set up just might be in the immediate future for this race car, I’ll know more hopefully in the next few days. If this pans out, this N-42 intake just might come up for sale…

This picture is of my EDIS-8 distributor-LESS ign for my SBC V-8 Z project running on the test bench. For visual affect, we removed the ground electrodes on the cheapo AC spark plugs…. We are glad we did…

[img']http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/BRAAPZ/EDIS/SparkyMedium.jpg[/img]

Just to remind all, many of the 79 and 80 ZX's had a Non-EGR manifold as well, without the BCDD underneath it. P82. Smaller plenum than the N42, but "product improvement" would seem to indicate this was the way Nissan went for a reason...

No EGR is No EGR, and the ZX manifolds seem more plentiful than the N42's.

Check out my cardomain page for a photo of the P82 manifold in use on a 260ZT Megasquirt Conversion.

• Administrators

As for plenum design, a larger plenum is actually “more” desirable from a performance standpoint, not a smaller plenum.

To be perfectly honest, in Tony D’s defense, on the dyno for an engine built to mild or even semi wild pump gas specs, it wouldn’t make much difference in the power developed when comparing the necked down plenum intakes vs the larger plenum. They both will deliver pretty much equivalent power, and if there is a difference as measured on the dyno, not even the most discerning driver would be able to feel the difference.

By looking at the evolution of the intake plenum for MPFI engines, the trend in automotive intake building has been larger plenums rather than smaller i.e. look at the modern Nissans, SR-20, KA24, VQ35, VG30DE, or even the domestic offerings vs the EFI Datsun L-18 in Japan plenum, and even our L-28’s and L-24E in the early Maxima. The total plenum volume of modern MPFI engines has actually increased on intake manifolds compared to those of the late ‘70’s through the late ’80’s. Specific output and mileage is also WAY up and emission are also lower on today’s power plants vs those of the ‘70’s and ‘80’s, (though intake plenum size isn’t what is responsible for that increase in performance, it is a very small part of the total equation).

For those of you who are very much interested in intake design and building and engine management tuning, there is a GREAT book written by Jeff Hartman that you should look into. Great for the novice who is just getting his feet wet in automotive tuning and performance upgrades, to the gray haired gurus who are very well versed in the ways of extracting MAX potential from an engine. Jeff Hartmann takes you through the “whys” the mega tuners make the choices they make for a particular set up and how you can apply those same decision making process to your own application. Some very enlightening info within…

Here is the book. It can also be found at your local “Barnes & Noble”, “Borders Books” etc.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/engine1.html