HybridZ

3rd gen Mazda RX7 Differentials?!?!

260DET

It is Z related, well it might/could be, depends ;)

Talking about the last series RX7, from '93 on. Been doing some research on their power handling capability, the crown wheel/ring gear is apparently an 8", which I assume means 8" in diameter. That would put it somewhere close to R200 size?

And they have a Torsen type LSD, which someone said wore quickly in racing but he was trying to flog KAAZ centers so ..........

Anyway, I'm wondering if it would handle ~500whp doing rolling start circuit work, no clutch dumping. Anyone got any knowledge of these diffs?

A friend of mine bought one with the complete rear suspension to use in a lotus 7 type project. I don't remember how the power handling for it was, I'll have to ask.

From what I remember when we picked it up it was nice, everything looked solid.

If I had the time/work space I would consider swapping in the entire rear suspension.

Although the FD diff is great on an FD, it CANNOT handle torque. The diff is a problem w/ lots of torque and tire. You are right about the size being the same(ish) as the R200 LSDs. I've seen some high HP FDs w/ a Nissan R200 diff in their pumpkin so they wouldn't scatter.

For a semi-wild 13B, I don't see the need to go swapping diff internals, but I also don't see the need to get parts that break. There are other options if you're wanting to go w/ a torsen LSD: the R200 from the S15 & R34 (non-V spec), Quaife, and OBX makes a helical LSD for the 240SX (for the R200)

Ask your local shop how much they could get the S15 helical for, and go from there. As for the other options, I have heard some of our customers complain about the OBX one, but I think they were trying to drift (kicking the clutch etc.). The Quaife one, I believe, has a lifetime warranty, so it might be better to get that one, but it's also 2~3 times more than the OBX.

Hear what you are saying Kenny, the S15 helical R200 bang for buck would be the first choice, for other reasons it would be handy if the RX7 diff could be used. I should have mentioned that the ~500whp would come from a turbo V6 so lots of torque.