HybridZ

L28 Strength

JustinOlson

I just got a 77 280z that I'm thinking about turbocharging. I'm not familiar with the week points of this motor and just wanted to know how much power people are making on stock internal L28?

I'm thinking of putting a GT40R onto it and run 8-10psi. Would the internals hold up ok?

I'm not a n00b to car stuff. Here's my audi with a gt42R and full built motor. 700AWHP:

Dscn1567.jpg

Regards,

Justin

your going to have a hard time running boost with a n/a motor. i would recomend finding a turbo motor that would give you a more desireable comp ratio. the stock bottom end in these turbo motors were over built and can handle some serious horse power. if you want a motor that can handle 400-500 hp. you are going to need some things like arp rod bolts and head studs to name a couple.

your going to have a hard time running boost with a n/a motor. i would recomend finding a turbo motor that would give you a more desireable comp ratio. the stock bottom end in these turbo motors were over built and can handle some serious horse power. if you want a motor that can handle 400-500 hp. you are going to need some things like arp rod bolts and head studs to name a couple.

A L28E with 8.29 or so CR will happily cope with 10psi+. I would suggest that a GT40R is too big for that small boost. You will most likely be borderline surging for a while and it would come on quite late.

As for general L-series weaknesses you can read all about some in How to Modify your Nissan Datsun OHC book.

Problems that float around are:

- harmonics at high revs due to the long L6 crank being not fully counterweighted

- valve bounce above 7000 with std springs

- timing chain whip at high rpm due to the pathetic tensioner

Aside from that I'm sure you're aware of the things on an engine that need to be strengthened when you start making a lot of torque.

Dave

I'm not really concerned with the compression ratio as I'm going to be running E85(ethanol) which has little trouble with detonation. I was just curious how far I could push this l28 bottomend. I've been thinking I may end up just pulling the whole drivetrain and fitting the motor from my audi. Its a 2.6L 5 cylinder, and I'm in the process of going through the whole motor with pauter rods, CP pistons, stroker crank, tall deck block, ect ect ect. I doubt my turbo manifold would work in the 280z engine bay, but I think it would be a lot of fun with a turbo 400 transmission, tubed with Mickey Thompson drag radials.

So have people made say 400whp with the L28? Are the turbo rods any beefier, or are they the same as the rods I have?

Regards,

Justin

The turbo con rods were said to be shot-peened, otherwise they look just like regular L28/L26 rods. I will be using L24 rods that are polished, balanced and shot-peened(want to build a 3.0L)

Back in their racing days, 280ZXT made 600hp on the race track, but they were using selected/prepped block and prepped rods like the L24 rods I will be using when I build my 3.0L L28ET