HybridZ

Mustash Bar Bushings - Burn oUt?

• 1 year later...
Misunderstood my reply. I agreed with his statement above and the metal sleeve remains after heating and pushing out the rubber bushing.

Does anyone sell just a pair of poly mustache bar bushings by themselves?

I don't need a whole bushing set right now is why I am asking.

Probably one of the best bits of advice I found on this forum was to use a monkey/pipe wrench to twist the bushing free after heating the bar and sleeve up with a propane torch. It pops right off and then you can cut the remainder out with a knife and sand it smooth. Note the outer metal sleeve should NOT be cut out.

- Greg -

• Administrators

Another simple approach, depending on where you live and how tolerant your family is to the black sooty smoke/fumes, (DON’T breathe the smoke), using the propane torch in a WELL ventilated outdoor environment, outside, away from any buildings, preferably over gravel, letting the rubber material of the bushing to burn long enough that the inner steel sleeve just “falls” out from gravity and the rest of the rubber bushing material has either fallen out as well or just needs to be lightly brushed out. Allow to cool, prep for paint, etc. etc etc.

I did what BRAAP said and it worked great. Lots of really bad smelling black smoke though. Also don't touch the black burning rubber, DOH! It did work and after cleaning it out with a rag and some gas the energy suspension bushings went right in.

After doing many sets of rear control arm bushings on 510s and then yesterday, doing the front upper and lower control arm bushings on my wife's Lexus LS400, I use a propane torch method, with the arm in a vise and heat the outside of the arm and let the thing burn it's way totally out. (a piece of cardboard on the floor and prepare to blow out drops of flaming, burning rubber) If you let it get really hot and burn itself out, the rubber is then dry and crumbles away. Then use a piece of emery clothe, you can quickly & easily just clean up the surface for the new bushing.

If you just get it hot enough to push it out, there is much more clean up work and that melted, slimy rubber is nasty. Just my 2 cents. :)