HybridZ

Why everybody selling there Z's lately????

Guest ON3GO

Some good points throughout this thread. I always liked the Z cars (was never old enough to buy one new), but didn't get the "bug" until a couple of years ago- of course, having a surplus LT1/T56 had a lot to do with it. I'd still have my 1984 383 powered RX7 if it would have run cool enough here in FL. If I run into a dead end such as that with the Z, it may also go away, but I've learned alot since the RX7, and confidence is high on this one. I've spent more time "engineering" the AC on this car than I did on the whole swap on the RX7.

Since my Trans Am's original numbers-matching motor & tranny are in the Z, this is more incentive for it to stay in the family.

Kudos to those doing what I'm doing outside in a driveway!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More detail as to why I sold my Z...

My last Z was my second 240, bought it from a guy in so cal that had done the swap and needed the $$. The car still needed work and so I swapped out the interior, diff, suspension from my other Z and got down to customizing the body and adding power. The car was on the road in no time, 'finished' in about a year and was my daily driver ever since. 3 1/2 years of hard driving and only left me stranded once from a bad starter. The problem I ran into wasn't that the Z was a bad car. The problem is that the FD I bought outruns, outbrakes, outcorners, outeverythings my old 240 and it gets near 30 mpg. This costs $$ though, and a Z is definitely a cheaper route. Anyway it wasn't getting any road time so I decided to let someone else have fun with the Z, now it is their daily driver and I'm driving a car I've wanted for 13 years.:D

Guest bastaad525

Heavy Z - FD as in RX7? Getting nearly 30 mpg??? That goes against everything I know about RX7's!!!

Well my Z is gone... I've already posted a thread about that, sold it last week. Used most of the money as a down payment for a new Civic for my wife. Might use some of the money for an upgrade or two for my srt-4. The rest together with my tax refund and money from selling my wife's old car will be turned into a new apartment and new furniture for us.

So in the end it will all be put to good use, and I don't feel like I lost out too much. In the meantime, I'll save up, and keep my eyes open, and eventually, I'm sure a really good deal on a finished turbocharged or V8 240 will pop up and I"ll jump on it.

Heavy Z - FD as in RX7? Getting nearly 30 mpg??? That goes against everything I know about RX7's!!!

Well my Z is gone... I've already posted a thread about that' date=' sold it last week. Used most of the money as a down payment for a new Civic for my wife. Might use some of the money for an upgrade or two for my srt-4. The rest together with my tax refund and money from selling my wife's old car will be turned into a new apartment and new furniture for us.

So in the end it will all be put to good use, and I don't feel like I lost out too much. In the meantime, I'll save up, and keep my eyes open, and eventually, I'm sure a really good deal on a finished turbocharged or V8 240 will pop up and I"ll jump on it.[/quote']

30 MPG out of an FD? I get more like 13, although I do have a leadfoot. As to the question of a lot of cars being sold, I was sad to see it. I had been gone from the forum for a couple of years because of life, etc, but it was the best bunch of guys with lots of knowledge. Now I come back and I see new innovations like the LS1 swap. In the interim, I also rescued a 3rd Gen RX7 from the crusher and now you guys are getting me interested in a new (LS1) swap. I've looked all around on the internet and this is definitely the best motorhead site I've seen.

No matter what I end up doing with my RX7, I will always keep my Z, because it got me into the swap game. Besides, even though it's not the ultimate as far as a sports car, the engine bay sure does look intimidating now. I agree that the Mazda is much more refined, and putting an LSX in it would be so.....wrong, which is exactly why I would want to do it.

Maybe all of you are too close. It's like when you meet a girl' date=' you love all those quirky little things about her. As time goes on all these same things start to annoy you. But when she is gone you miss her.

[/quote']

I married my first love in 2000 after 2 years of dating, and she let me get a 1972Z and put a monster SBC in it. I pretty much ignore anything annoying about her. She's a lot like the Z, old-school, suprizingly forgiving, and well designed. I wouldn't trade her for the new model, naa, they don't make 'em like her anymore, petite, fast and hybridized.

• 8 months later...

I refuse to own any other car thn a Z! You guys can call me a crazy Young'in (Im 18) but the truth is Z owners are a completely different breed than just any other car enthusist. Z owners are proud, even if they are making constant repairs. The history that goes beheind these cars is amazing. You have to admit, these cars are damn good for the price. To me these cars are special, I would take a Z over a porche any day!!!

mine is for sale.here is the deal-i have been working as a tech at ford dealers for 23 years.i am to the point in my life where i dont want to work on anything anymore.so if any body wants to buy a california no rust 77 z with 82 turbo engine,megasquirt,intercooler,working a/c,ground control suspension,track tires,+ trailer for track days pm me.car needs paint but i have all new nissan oem weather stripping in orginal bags car is daily driver.

Guest dhstock

and good morning all you younguns", LOL.

I've had my 1973 240Z since 1976 (30 years now), his name is Ted, and I still love him. Would not sell him for anything. I know him inside and out. Have all the original manuals with grease marks and all. Simple engine to work on, plenty of space without scraping knuckles. Only modification done (3 years ago) was Holly four barrel (had too much trouble with side drafts). Time to install rubber gaskets around doors as the rattling is beginning to irritate me. My husband hates him as I won't let him drive him and all the grand-kids want him.

• Administrators

In November ‘88, I bought my first car... a ‘74 1/2 260 automatic. What a heap (not so much the model, just the condition). I owned it for about 5 years. Met my wife in it. Never did anything with it save for drive it.

Since then, I’ve bought and sold so many S30’s I can't remember them all, most of them 240’s. Completed some nice mods... and some embarrassing ones as well. Couple V8 swaps, Turbo L6, EFI retrofits, suspension upgrades of various sorts, rear disks, etc. Autocrossed a couple of them, the LT1 car pretty seriously for a while.

In between the Z’s, I've owned a couple Vettes, RX7 Turbo II, Impala SS, Turbo Beetle, etc. I raced them all and liked them all. But... I still kept coming back to the Z.

The Z has a very connected, almost raw, feel to it. Although the steering is ho-hum, the rest of the car delivers a pure sensation, especially out back. I’ve never driven a car that I could drift with more confidence then a Z. You can thread a needle with a properly sorted Z. They may not be the fastest cars, but the driving EXPERIENCE is what sets them apart.

About a year ago I bought a pretty clean E30 M3. Its the only car that has captured me like the Z. With a few careful modifications, it has a lot of the same raw personality. Not the artificial feeling that most other cars deliver. Its razor sharp, comfortable, reasonably quiet, seats 4... and as fun to drive as the Z

In the last few years, I’ve come to the conclusion that Z’s aren’t that great. It takes money and time to build a high performance car out of one. Even then, there are some hurdles that are difficult to overcome. For the money it takes to build a substantial Z, I could buy a used M3, C5, or FD... and have money AND time left over.

I love the M, but I look out the window and see my currently stock Z sitting there... just begging to be molested.

And the biggest draw... A huge percentage of the important people in my life, are in some way connected through Z’s.

I’ll die a Z owner... if not literally, at least in spirit.