HybridZ

My new L6

Guest MistressMotorsports

Clint, thats why I miss FI, that and the slow slow startups I have on cold mornings with my manual choke.

Thats why at least one Trans Am racer is using FI, midrange and MPG benefits.

Programable ignition can be had even with carbs, although its sorta costly, MSD makes one of these units which is compatible with the 6a and several other ignition box series.

Compression is more effective at helping low end with big cam bleedoff than it is making top end power. The engine is a Robello buildup.

I trust the local guys, I have seen many hot cars, and there are plenty of guys with lots of knowlege in the local group. One of the Robello head porters has a ~275 HP daily driver Z, who WILL give rides, if your willing to head to Concord smile.gif

whoa, so he has the gt2 rebello head detuned with the extra big 3.3 stroker setup, i gotta see a dyno on that one, and a price sheet, my two buddies down near me run 5k 3.1 rebello strokers, one with mikunis the other with big SU's

they are estimating 200rwhp, and they both diesel out all the time.

my man down the way has the rebello 3.2 and is expecting 275hp at the wheels with six throttle and 11.5 cr.

hey if i had it lke that spending money on exotic work i would do it, and BOOST it.

275 RWHP would be no joke in a little 240Z.

I didn't know a 3.3L stroker existed, although I have read about custom cranks that were/are(?) available for big $. Whenever I get some head flow data I'll post it, and of course try to pursue as much as I can get on a reasonable budget.

yeah, you can go 3.3, or actually 3250cc with some more tricks from the rebello house, my man Hoover is putting one in his z with a rebello GT2 head and some mano cam with the TWM 6 throttle setup, he says they dyno at crank about 335 hp, so 275 at the wheels should be doable, compression is way up in the sky im sure, but i agree, 275hp in a 2400lb car is scary, thats what my v8 car put down and it was pure rukus. more torque and less rpm though, 3 sets of rear tires in a year of wearing and defending the street race heavyweight champion belt will do that to ya, its not track racing and no its not official, BUT IT IS VICTORY, in a form as shallow as it is rewarding when its the product of your own wrench.

now its time to equal that performance with half as displacement, with boost.

oh the base 3.1 stroker is about 5k for 200-235rwhp with big SUs i think, but that was two years ago so i dont know now, might be cheaper since there is less racers buying motors since the economy isnt as good.

Originally posted by MistressMotorsports:

The reason I think I need bigger carbs is twofold, neither reason being scientifically sound and definitely subject to slamming by anyone.... Second is the giant size of the jets needed to keep the car rich enough at extended WOT.

It's been a while since I messed with carbs, but I'm pretty sure that a bigger carb will just make this worse. Carbs rely on the Bernoulli effect to draw the fuel from the jets. The higher the air velocity, the more fuel gets drawn through them. This is why the venturis are there - to speed up the airflow and aid the fuel delivery. Going to a larger carb will just slow down the airflow even more, which means you will need an even larger jet to supply the same amount of fuel.

Wow, busy thread while I was in Phoenix racing. I would love to have an FI setup, but something tells me the vintage race groups would frown on that. Learned a lot about carbs this weekend, getting closer. I really need a track day with nothing else to do but play with the carbs.

JohnC, don't yet know about OTC. I would love to do it, but it's very expensive and happens to be at a particulary busy time at work. We'll see, but probably not. As for the inevitable comparisons, I need a suspension before I can run with the big dogs. Probably annoy you with more emails after what I learned this weekend. The car is better, but still has some nasty habits.

HSR-West is running big Willow and Cal Speedway both in March. I'm going to try to hit them both. I really need to go to Willow for a baseline, as I have enough laps there in my previous cars to really see what the 240 is doing. Right now, I'm guessing it's a :34 or :35 car but I could be wrong. With the motor it has, I would think :30 or :31 is possible, but only after MUCH suspension work.

BTW, there was NO ONE in my class/group at PIR who could touch the new stroker in a straight line. I went from 5th to 2nd by turn one on the first lap. Frigging 911 guy just looked at me as I went by. There was also a lightweight (I think) Jag E type there that I pulled pretty hard on the back straight. They grouped all the CP and lower classes together along with a bunch of Lotus Elises (those brand new 1400 pound factory race cars on full slicks) If you want to see a car corner, go watch a well driven Elise.

Mike

I have it on video. I just need to figure out how to get it from my digital camcorder to my PC, then I need somewhere for it to be hosted. I got the software to upload footage from my camcorder, just haven't tried it yet. When I get it done, I'll post a link.

Mike

Not yet. I put a new fire wire card in my PC, which the PC saw correctly. Then I loaded the editor software, which seems to work ok, but I can't get my PC to talk to my camera, despite the fact that the tech support guy told me the driver I'm using is correct. So, I was up 'til 11:30 last night and on the phone again at 7:00 this morning, but no dice. Tech guy's last suggestion: Put the card in another slot, remove and reinstall the software and drivers, and pray. Maybe a bad firewire cable also. 'course, it's brand new, but the last USB cable I bought was bad out of the box as well. Going to Florida for a long weekend (take the kids to see their great grandfather), so it may be next week before I even attempt to fix this problem. Plug and play my ass.

What I might also do, since the clip is short, is transfer the video to a memory stick (Sony camera) and just upload it as an mpeg through the USB.

Mike

OK, I cheated and did the .mpg thing. So now I have this file that's a bit under one MB that shows the drop of the green flag and a bunch of sleeping drivers. It's only about 10 secs long. Anyone want to host it? Mudge? I can email it to whoever.

Mike

Mike, do you have more video? Using WMV it compresses pretty darn nicely, although it may not work for the *nix people(? I dont know really).

Looks like a red Panoz in the mix also?

RIGHT CLICK and SAVE TARGET AS or SAVE AS

http://docmudge.tripod.com/240Z/datsunstart.zip

I can setup a dedicated FTP which has pretty nice bandwidth, for those of us who'd like to see more smile.gif

Ahhhh... PIR. Put my 240Z into the tire wall in turn 2 trying to outbrake a Viper. The 240Z emblem from the right side C pillar is still in that tire barrier somewhere.

Mike,

It looks like you're really loose under braking or you've got a bias problem. A little rich on overrun too I bet. Have fun in Florida.

Actually, the red car in front and to the right was one of the Lotus Elises. Then there was the (obviously) 911, my friend Mickey's B Sedan 510 and the Lotus 7 that won the whole thing.

I have the whole race on video, although most of the action was behind me, so it's pretty boring out front. Well, there are the times when some of the guys I passed early got me back and pulled away. Happy to forward whatever people want to see.

John, you're right, the car was way rich, even stumbling a bit in long constant throttle corners. Ran really good at WOT, so I didn't worry about it too much, first weekend on the motor and all. I believe that richness is also the reason for the bog in the dyno curve. I'm going to get a bigger selection of Weber parts and go back to the dyno to find out. I wasn't actually loose under braking, I was trying to trick Mickey into braking early in his 510. He had the momentum line, which I wanted, so I was hoping that when I jogged right, he would think I didn't see hime and drop back. Didn't work, he held his line through two and was back around be between two and three. He's a friend, and I knew he was also quick enough to contend for overall (he finished second by .366 seconds) so I also wasn't going to keep him back any longer than that if he really wanted by.

Mike