HybridZ

Picked up the '89 donor car tonight

David K

Well i finally picked up the '89 LX 5.0 tonight. Im right on schedule with my v8 plans. This baby has some major balls. 1st and 2nd gear are brutal, the acceleration is amazing. The clutch is toast too. I can only wonder what it does with a good clutch and some intake/exhaust mods. The 280zx SBF kits are one step closer to being produced. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106398

Mods to be done after swap:

Explorer GT40 or AR aluminum heads

gt40 lower and upper plenum OR Trick Flow Street manifolds

TB

or just a complete Trick Flow head/manifold/tb setup. of course as $ permits

http://www.trickflow.com/product/enginekits/pr_enginekits.asp#

Flowmaster of course for its awesome sound on the 5.0

Trans is getting a Ford Motorsport clutch, and a Steeda Sport Shifter (PN#418-7475)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Guest 280ZForce

i smell a major mickey mouse...and the brake lights hooked up to the amps? wtf?

i think those amps look like old playstations or the old school portable cd players haha. that thing is ready for an electrical fire, i wouldnt drive it. but good luck on the swap dave.

i'm sure i'll get 2 see it in progress and maybe get my hands in on it. should be fun, but not a fan of the 5.slow

but WELCOME PROJECT 5.SLOW

Guest MrPinstripe

Heh. So the Mustang was mine. I'm a former Z owner, had a 79zx that threw a rod, and an 86zxt that lost it's valvetrain when the timing chain gave out. :( I really loved my talking car...

I've since moved on to a new WRX as Dave mentioned. It's a hell of a ride, very fun. :)

So, onto the electrical. The day after my birthday in 03, my house burned down. The car was outside on the crub, but every piece of plastic on the passenger side of the vehicle was melted or slagged. Paint bubbled and peeled, the hubcaps were drooping by 3", etc. Some of the wiring insulation fused together and shorted out significant portions of the internal electrical system. I re-routed some stuff, stopped using some stuff, and re-ran new lines from the battery for the stereo system. All soldier joins are solid and coated in heat-shrink tubing, and in some cases, additionally, wrapped in electrical tape.

Basically, it's a hax0r job, but not a shitty one. :) I never had to re-do a single soldier join in that car. Also, while the brake lights are being powered off the AMP's in the trunk, I also ran wire up to the cabin, terminated it w/ motorcycle plugs, to allow the driver to change the tail light behavior from 'brake lights' to 'tail lights' mode, on the fly. :)

--Pinstripe

that looks like a promising project. how many miles does it got? are you planning a rebuild? what kind of mods you gonna do? and are you going to keep the FI or carb it?

I listed some planned mods in the first post. It sounds like a new water pump is needed, but thats easy. Ill be running dual electric fans. Ill be keeping the stock headers and running those into a single 3" mandrel pipe split into 2-2" pipes after the rear suspension with flowmaster mufflers. I think im going with a fuel cell if i do the split exhaust after the rear suspension. If all goes well, i know it could be overkill, but i plan on a 6psi Powerdyne s/c kit.

The Mustang will be in storage for the next week at least. Im hoping to get started on dismantling the stang in the next 3 weeks at the latest. Things are going according to schedule so far, so it looks good.

So remind me again on your plans for smog... All I have to say is good luck and I hope you've got smog friends (like some people on this board :wink: )

So why's the PCV system sitting open? Might want to get that covered if you plan on driving it, at least some type of filter. I'm personally not a fan of open PCV systems but that's a different story altogether.

So how much are you planning to actually take from the donor other than the motor? I think you've mentioned some of this stuff before but I'd like to double check now that the donor car is in your hands.

If the smog issue permits I'd scrap the stock efi and megasquirt it, get a larger TB & headers, and THEN supercharge it. It won't be overkill as long as you're not a lead foot driver.