HybridZ

Driveline vibration

kalium99

I have a bizzare vibration and sound coming from my rear end somewhere. Its a constant "thunk-thunk-thunk" that comes from just behind my shoulder and gets louder as the wheels turn faster. I have replaced my diff mount (which did fix the lound clunk sound that I used to get when taking off or slowing down) and have also replaced the wheel bearing on the side where the sound seemed to be coming from.

Even if I cruise in neutral the sound and vibration are still there. I took it to a mechanic and he said the u joints seemed fine. Could it be unbalanced halfshafts or driveshaft? Could the u joints appear fine but really be screwed? Is it worthwhile to go to a junkyard and pull form halfshafts to see if they are any better than mine ?

Then engine is the standard L series as well with an R200 diff.

Cheers

Ray

No I have had this problem ever since I have had the car, and that involves a few tyre changes as well.

Im also leaning towards a U joint, the only thing that makes me skeptical is that the mechanic I took it to is a zed guru and knows his stuff. He was actually a bit baffled, as the U joints felt fine. OH well, I have some new Uni's laying around so I will try putting them in and see how I go.