HybridZ

Good Price LT4??

Okay, so I called up some wrecking yards around me looking for an LT based motor. I found one an LT4 Corvette motor including:

T-56 Manual transmission

ECU

Complete Wiring Harness

All Accessories (AC, Power Steering, etc.)

Guage Cluster

40k Miles

$4,000

Now thats for a complete motor set, for a long block LT1 the cost is $1500 including

Heads

Block

Intake Manifold

Oil Pan

Valve covers etc.

No wiring

No ECU

+75k Milwa

Then a T-56 for another $1750.

Which do you guys think is a better deal? $4000 for everything or $3250 for less, but having to get more parts seperately? Seems like its kinda high in price and that i'm getting more stuff than i really need. Opinions? Thanks,

Tyson

The complete system would be a better choice, but I don't know if $4000 is a good deal. Can you hear it run, or does it come with any type of warranty? If you get a Corvette motor, the swap will be more difficult and JTR recommends sticking with non-Corvette motors.

If you don't have the JTR book, get a copy and study where it talks about the differences in Corvette motors so you can make a more informed decision. Even if the motor does have a warranty, you may have to do a pretty quick swap to take advantage of it.

Just things to think about.

Dont bother with an LT4 unless you just want to say "yeah I have an LT4". You dont get that much more motor for the dollar when compared to an LT1. $1500 for just a long is pretty high if you dont get the wiring and PCM. You can usually pick up a LT1/T56 combo for like $2500 with all the wirng and PCM.

Guy

Dont bother with an LT4 unless you just want to say "yeah I have an LT4". You dont get that much more motor for the dollar when compared to an LT1. $1500 for just a long is pretty high if you dont get the wiring and PCM. You can usually pick up a LT1/T56 combo for like $2500 with all the wirng and PCM.

Guy

Well see I even asked for the LT1 for the same stuff mentioned in the LT4 with more miles was $3500. Every jy that I called had pricing very similar to that as well. So I don't know. Didn't know if it was a good deal or not.

Tyson

You will pay a pretty heavy premimum for the LT4. Corvette guys want those motors so they are pretty pricey. You can probably pick up a set of AFT heads and hot cam kit for the difference in price you are going to pay for the "LT4"

Late last year LT1/t56 combos were going unsold on ebay for $1800. Guess fparts rasied their prices

Here is a complete motor (no trans) for less than your local long block.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-Camaro-Z28-Trans-Am-LT1-5-7-Liter-Engine-Complete-80_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8034311206

You can get a complete iron head LT1 with auto trans out of a caprice for less than the $1500 long block. Then bolt up the aluminum AFR heads with hot cam and be way ahead power wise for less money.