HybridZ

Diamond Racing Wheels

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set with slicks mounted on them for trips to the drag strip. Also sometimes I use another set for other racing. Mine are 15x8 with 4" backspacing, should have gone 5.0 or 5.5"...live and learn.

Mike

I have a set I use for autoxing. They have held up fine with 2 seasons of racing with cantilever slicks and going over driveway transitions. one wheel was replaced be the tire shop that mounted the tires. They bent the lip of the whell in the mounting process, they seemed to think they were very soft wheels (not strong), so I would stay far away from curbs. As far as bumps in the road they are probably fine just do not go too low of a profile on the tire and do not go for the streached tire look in order to protect the wheel a little.

Just got mine two days ago for my TPI '76 280z. 15x7 pro series with 4in BS. Fit great. Diamond is real nice to deal with but they are low tech. Fax and phone is the only way to get a tracking number or submit your custom wheel order. I was suprised to have a $30 steel surcharge and they took longer to make than I had hoped but they were cheap ($350 delivered to FL) and look good on a red car. One note, the small dish resulted in the valve stem placed on the backside with access through one of the D-shaped holes. I called and was told that they place them there to prevent wheel-to-wheel rub from knocking the stem off on the track. Luckily it cleared the 4x4 toyota caliper conversion, barely. Your wide wheels will probably not have that issue. You will also need to double check that the size wheel you want is available with the small 9/16" holes (for 1/2" studs) if you still have the stock 12mm. Most stock car wheels are drilled 11/16" for 5/8" studs.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Just got mine two days ago for my TPI '76 280z. 15x7 pro series with 4in BS. Fit great. Diamond is real nice to deal with but they are low tech. Fax and phone is the only way to get a tracking number or submit your custom wheel order. I was suprised to have a $30 steel surcharge and they took longer to make than I had hoped but they were cheap ($350 delivered to FL) and look good on a red car. One note, the small dish resulted in the valve stem placed on the backside with access through one of the D-shaped holes. I called and was told that they place them there to prevent wheel-to-wheel rub from knocking the stem off on the track. Luckily it cleared the 4x4 toyota caliper conversion, barely. Your wide wheels will probably not have that issue. You will also need to double check that the size wheel you want is available with the small 7/16" holes if you still have the stock 12mm. Most stock car wheels are drilled 5/8" for 1/2" studs.

what size rubber are you planning on running?

what size rubber are you planning on running?

I was planning on running 225/55-15 since they are exactly the same diameter as the stock 195/70-14. Unfortunately there are no performance tires that I could find. I got a set of 215/60-15 used tires for free and am using them for fitment. They are slightly larger than stock. The other option is 225/50-15 which is slightly smaller. This is the tire suggested by the guys on the forum running Konig Rewind 15x7 wheels. I will probably go with the 225/50-15 to get better tire options and to have a slightly larger tire patch.

The 215/60-15 tires have plenty of clearance in the rear and .5in in to the front spring. I have stock springs and no flares. I have pics but haven't figured out how to post them yet.

I stretched a 205/50/15 on a 8inch wide wheel. I've only driven it around a bit(probally less than 50 miles) so I can't officially say its okay to use these wheels on the street with stretched tires. 205/50/15 gives me allot of 50-70$ decent tire options. Your also going to have to talk to diamond about cutting a 9 and a 9.5, because you will have to pay for a 10 inch wide wheel and then your going to have to pay to get it cut down to the 9 and 9.5. I'll probally be buying some 16x8s from them in the future so I have more access to decent bigger tires. I thought about running 15x9s or 10s but the cost of the getting the wheel cut and only having access to crappy minitruck tires persuaded me not to.

I have had my 15x8 pro series for about 5 months now and I am running TALL 225/60/15 tires and they rubbed all day long on my stock fenders and it looked really weird with the wheels sticking out that far...until I got some flares for free!!!and I can tell you where to get free flares if you want me too!!!

w11861313.jpg

I have less than a quarter inch of clearance between the center section of the wheel and the s12 solid rotor Toyota caliper and plenty of clearance on the outer rim.

really good fit...4 in. backspace front and back with stock suspension...soon to be coilover though. i the front I have about half an inch between the coil and tire. plenty more on the back... could have used 4.5 in backspacing but I wanted the same wheels all around. and don't let the tire people scratch the wheel when mounting a tire. the paint seems to scratch easily with tools smacking the wheel and such.

I didn't say ZG...take a hammer and beat out the fender...my z looks cool but the fenders haven't been smoothed yet...about to buy a Miller 175 mig and build an english wheel. I swear I must have as much tire coverage as a zg flare but it is free...and it is a good way to get rid of old bondo...the rear fenders are a little more difficult though. got to get rid of the inner fender wheel well