HybridZ

Circuit race gearbox: Jerico 4-speed on L28

thehelix112

Guys,

Just thinking out loud at this point but I was wondering if anyone has adapted a jerico 4-speed to an L28 before? I can get my hands on ex nascar boxes for a relatively good price so was contemplating a dog kit, sequential shifter for the next stage of my zed.

Anyone have any comments/experiences with Jericos?

Dave

if ti has dog rings don't plan on driving it on the street and plan on having out of the car every 1500 miles or so to replace the cracked dog rings which are about 150-300 a piece. if ti is for a race car then the only hassle would be replacing the dog rings, with rally cars you do this at every rally or two but it is part of the maintnence.

Thats the sort of information I want to hear, thanks. But are you talking about all dogs in general? Or jericos specifically? And I have been told previously that the dog's wear can be minimised by still clutching changes, and that if this is done they will last almost as long as a synchro'd box?

Oh and yes, this is for a race car. So 1500 miles is really quite a long time and acceptable. :)

Dave

I would contact Taylor engineering. They modify 280ZX T-5 transmissions to run different gear sets and are really race tough once modified...A great race solution and legal for most race groups because you are not changing the stock housing. Down side is the cost, about 3k when it is all said and done.

I would contact Taylor engineering. They modify 280ZX T-5 transmissions to run different gear sets and are really race tough once modified...A great race solution and legal for most race groups because you are not changing the stock housing. Down side is the cost, about 3k when it is all said and done.

I was going to suggest that as well, but his question was directed towards Jerico's only. Houseman is another vendor which modifies stock boxes, or maybe only the Datsun comp ones, to a dog ring style.

http://www.housemanautosport.com/

sorry for the offtopic question but what is the filter on the thing after the fuel pumps? http://race-cars.com/carsales/other/1062560599/1062560599pj.htm and what are dogring style trannys? i have no clue about transmissions, its one thing i need to learn. do they just allow quicker shifts but with more wear due to not having the syncros? or lighten up the rotating assembly of the gears for better power to the wheels?

sorry for the offtopic question but what is the filter on the thing after the fuel pumps?

That's just a breather tank, or catch can, to prevent any differential fluid from dropping on the track. Many, if not most, race sanctioning bodies recomend, or require them.

and what are dogring style trannys? i have no clue about transmissions, its one thing i need to learn. do they just allow quicker shifts but with more wear due to not having the syncros? or lighten up the rotating assembly of the gears for better power to the wheels?

Looks like you answered your own question. Yes, they're basically a non-synchronized transmission which enables quicker gear changes, higher reliability (without the possibility of synchros breaking) but at the expense of higher maintenance (replacing the dog rings).

prieth,

Thanks for that. That car is an impressive bit of kit isn't it. :) Looks like an OTS bell housing none the less? Could I be that lucky?

Ron,

I am interested in the jerico because I can get it for around AUD3K in a full race reco state, there are a bajilion ratios to choose from, and they're tough as nails. I will investigate the T5 a little more when the time comes but its hard to pass up a full race box for less money.

Dave

Taylor builds, services, and has adapted Jerico transmissions to the Datsun L16, L20, and L24. Also, having owned a Quaife sequential dog box I can tell you that using the clutch on upshifts is a sure way to damage the dog rings on any dog box. Just lift and shift very quickly. On downshifts its more critical to properly rev match then it is to use the clutch.

I put over 25 hours on my transmission and when it was opened up and inspected it the dogs were barely even nicked. Per Scott at Taylor the transmission was basically brand new.

You can easily drive a dog box on the street if you know how to shift.

if we go threw taylor are we stuck with a factory spec gearing? or what?

im a big newbie to this but im in need of a stronger gear box and its either something like this or a 300zxTT 5-speed swap.

whats the price on something like this?

mike

Good news, I emailed the owner of the red GT2 which I posted the link for. He replied with the following:

"I used a Nissan bellhousing from an automatic transmission. Ken Muth from Washington machined an adaptor plate. It will accept the four speed or the five speed like mine. Ken can be reached at the following numbers,

Ken Muth

home 360-668-6071

cell 425-971-4251"

If I had only known! I've literally thrown away 3 auto transmissions.

I am about to buy either a Tex Racing T101 or a Jerico (X)R4 for my "next" engine (4.5L Turbo Buick V6 Stage 2), because of the torque handling capabilities of those transmissions. I've not been able to find an affordable synchro box that will stand up to 800 lb/ft or so expected from the Buick.

The car sees about 3000 street miles a year - with both drag and roadrace duty planned, and I'm really ignorant of what driving techniques to use for a dog-box..

John, care to help educate me on How To Shift? Or point me to some resources?

I had a super vee with a hewland dog box. The best way to shift it was quickly. On an upshift I'd simply lift the throttle a tad and select the next gear. If you tried to use the clutch you'd often hear a crashing sound out back. If you must use the clutch just bump it but don't hold it all the way down (maybe you have a pressure actuated ignition cut).

Dog rings, unlike syncros literally grab the gears and engage them. You need to be careful on a downshift that you don't select the wrong gear. Because it will engage. Normally to downshift you'd pull the gear to neutral, rev the engine, and engage the lower gear. Normally I was left foot braking at the same time and going down gears with quick stabs of the throttle to match gear speed.

In the hewland the part I hated most was selecting first to start. It sounded like parts were exploding in the box. It was best to quickly move the shifter after depressing the clutch (the gears need to be moving to engage. Often I'd ask people to push the car and I'd do this rolling.

My EMOD project has a g-force dog ring T5 tranny that I'm looking forward to using.

Cary