HybridZ

Electric brakes?

Has anyone Looked into possibly putting Electric brakes or electric clutch braking systems on their Z? I know it may sound crazy :eek2:. But We may be missing out on some good tunability and hey I Know I'd do a double take if I saw a car with no visable brakes :willy_nil: .

I did a search but found nothing on it

thanks

john

yeah I've been looking at various Industrial applications some are sealed some are for high heat and torque, and I can't help but wonder why not a Z? And with them being electric you could really do some tricky stuff on in cabin controls etc etc. Maybe even something to help on cornering....but then again thats crazy talk.

if your battery disconnects or looses charge while driving... (ie bad battery etc)

well your screwed...

and if the electric solenoid poops out.. well.. same idea

If the battery goes dead you will only have a harder pedal to push.

Much like if you pop your vacuum hose to the original braking amplifier.

It is used on cars that are sold today, and I dont think they would allow cars that lost their brakes when battery gone dead that on the road.

But the clutch would go dead if the clutch hose breaks. That has happened to my vw :(

No no... cars today don't have 100% electric brakes..

they still have hydrolic brakes with the AID of electronic solenoids etc....

IF your entire brake setup was electric, and the battery went dead, your saying push the pedal harder?? ummm.. no.. if it's electric and "throttle by wire" or simply hooked up to electrical wires to a solenoid, I don't care how hard you push, the solenoid will NOT move... it's electricity that moves the solenoid.

But yes.. even a VW Passat for example has an electric e-brake and cars with ABS have .. thats right.. electric aid...

So a car with NO hydrolic system, and entirely electric brakes would be awful.

Magnetic brakes on the other hand ... *hmm*

if your battery disconnects or looses charge while driving... (ie bad battery etc)

well your screwed...

and if the electric solenoid poops out.. well.. same idea

Does that assume the ignition system and fuel pump will run on the flux capicator while the battery discharges? :D

There's always the emergency brake in that situation... much like if you were to run over a chunk of metal on a car with both left and right brake lines under one side of the body. There's a rail under my dad's saturn... if we jump the curb wrong or land hard on a parking bump stop, it will smash both left and right rear brake lines, and cause a tandem failure. (unless the proportioning valve or some sort of check valve system is installed) I think alot of unibody cars are like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking about going pure electric, ( yeah I know I'd have to have some sort of back up) But for the sake of improving possible braking and handling... just seeing what I/we can come up with and to see if anyone else has researched it thoroughly before I really jump in. I know that there are quite a few heavy industrial applications I was thinking in more of a electromagnetic multi- clutch type system. where they are used taking high torque and heat over and over again. they have completely sealed versions as well and they make them to suit size etc etc in whatever need you have. nothing wrong with Looking right?

magnetic brakes are freakn cool..

AK-Z your 100% correct, trailers do use electric brakes..

My impression of this thread is for purely electric brakes.. which would be a no no.. bad bad idea

Many many newer cars now use electronically assisted brakes... which would use an electric solenoid to push on the master cylinder, or even a solenoid on the actual caliper which would "aid" in addition to the hydrolic brakes, but i don't see the advantage of that.. except.. umm... i have no idea.. longer master cylinder life? haha

LOL yeah very nice. What has me thinking is the whole clutch pack Idea. they basically look like clutch packs that you would pull out of an Auto tranny of course much more heavy duty and you could put them around your half shafts instead of having them in the wheel or whatever. Not that improving the Unsprung weight is the edge I need in my driving but.......

LOL yeah very nice. What has me thinking is the whole clutch pack Idea. they basically look like clutch packs that you would pull out of an Auto tranny of course much more heavy duty and you could put them around your half shafts instead of having them in the wheel or whatever. Not that improving the Unsprung weight is the edge I need in my driving but.......

My thought is that if they have used it on race vehicles then it would be used in at least one production car by now.

I know some custom cars have the disk brakes located on the half axle (at least on the flange) right next to the differential.

I know that semis use pnuematic brakes that also flows to the trailer brake system. I think that would be a better solution, but not so reasonable.