HybridZ

8.8" Irs???

Moridin

I was browsing through the RX7club.com forums the other night while looking at the LSx swaps. Apparently, a guy there created a craddle to mount an 03/04 Cobra IRS 8.8" and half-shafts to the RX7 suspension and chassis. My point is, has anyone else looked at this as a viable swap compared to the R230. I'm not sure about the case design for the R230, but I know the 8.8" housing is aluminum and insides are pretty tough. Good 300M axles can be custom made through The Driveshaft Shop. There are a few diff cover braces on the market that keep the housing from flexing and making it quite durable. Torsen also offers a very nice T2R LSD similar to a Quaiffe. Detroit Locker may offer something very similar too. I just haven't looked into it.

Anyone have any comments or ideas?

I'm going to be a lot more intimate with the 8.8 when the subframe comes down on the parent's 03 Cobra. I'm doing all the bushings (poly subframe and aluminum diff), having a Torsen T2R put in, drilling and tapping holes for a pump and cooler, putting on the cover brace, and doing new half-shafts. After seeing what is being done with the RX7, it got me thinking. Why not a Z car? What are the housings for the R200/R230s made out of? Cast iron or aluminum? If its cast iron, the aluminum housing of the 8.8 should be quite a bit lighter.

May be able to have your cake and eat it too, and maybe without the complications of the C4 rear end. On the other hand, the conversion could be worse. I guess thats why I want to open this discussion a bit more. Just to see how bad it may be.

Any idea how wide a 3rd gen RX7 is compared to a 240Z?

I looked at using the 3rd gen RX7 double wishbone setup front and rear on a S130 but decided that the S14 setup was more suitable for 500whp and for other reasons. The RX7's track front and rear is 1466mm, not sure if thats US spec but it would depend on the wheels anyway. Same five stud as Nissan BTW.

Keep in mind that track is measured from the center point of the tire tread. The FD uses an 8" wheel so the track measurement is from the 4" mark of each wheel. However, since the FD wheel has about a 6" BS, the actual hub-to-hub width is going to 4" wider than the track. Hope that makes sense.

Keep in mind that track is measured from the center point of the tire tread. The FD uses an 8" wheel so the track measurement is from the 4" mark of each wheel. However, since the FD wheel has about a 6" BS, the actual hub-to-hub width is going to 4" wider than the track. Hope that makes sense.

So the hub to hub width is 4" wider than the measured track, correct?

I looked at using the 3rd gen RX7 double wishbone setup front and rear on a S130 but decided that the S14 setup was more suitable for 500whp and for other reasons. The RX7's track front and rear is 1466mm, not sure if thats US spec but it would depend on the wheels anyway. Same five stud as Nissan BTW.

And how complicated was the install?

• 1 year later...