HybridZ

Floor Pan condition and plugs

Bartman

get an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it. Itll take any surface rust off in just a couple minutes. That way you can see the extent of the rust penetration and decide whether you need replacement panels. But just by looking at those pics, im pretty sure all youll have is fresh metal under there. Then you can rust proof it however you like. This is what i did and it couldnt have turned out better. Afterward I double layer dynamatted everything, then heat insulated everything, and got new molded carpet. Good luck, whichever method you use.

I'll be taking a wire wheel to the rust areas this weekend and I'm pretty confident that I will be able to remove the rust and find clean metal underneath. The issue for me is how much metal is left and will it be strong enough. If I just treat the metal and cover the floor with dynomat will it be strong enough?

I have a mig welder with gas, so if any areas do require a small patch I just need to get a piece of 18 gauge steel and weld it in. I know PRO-15 has a kit that has some type of mesh you can use to strengthen areas, but it sounds like welding in a small patch panel would be cheaper and easier.

I would think that the area that has the small holes would be hard to fill by welding due to the thickness af the metal that's left (easy to burn through).

I would think that the area that has the small holes would be hard to fill by welding due to the thickness af the metal that's left (easy to burn through).

That's why BradMan recommended the copper. You put a piece of copper on the backside and it acts like a heatsoak and you're less likely to burn a big hole in it. Works like a charm.