HybridZ

Kit Cars on EBAY

Trevor

Love Kit Cars? Look at these kits in development and progression. Both from the same seller. They are replicating exotic designs on realistic donor platforms. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-2006-F-rr-ri-F6-Fiberglass-only_W0QQitemZ4612812620QQcategoryZ7251QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A lot of aluminum beating that one into shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-Murc-Gal-Lamborgini-Galardo-Murc-Fiberglass-Kit_W0QQitemZ4611680494QQcategoryZ7251QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Makes me nostalgic for the ads I used to see in the 1960's Popular Mechanics - "Fiberfab / Bradley GT body on a VW belly pan". "Build it yourself in a few weekends!"

I do get nervous, however whenever I see a Florida-based kit car seller. In the late 80's early 90's the industry got numerous black eyes from scammers based in Florida - then called the safe haven of frauds, crooks, and pirates because of the local laws.

I had planned on doing a kit car at one time, that's what lead me to Z's actually. Problem with alot of kit cars is they always look like kitcars, generic or fake . They never have the same "damn that's a sick car" feel to them. The kit cars that do look good tend to be the ones like the Ultima GTR or the FFR GTM ones that are not copies.

Isk

I had planned on doing a kit car at one time' date=' that's what lead me to Z's actually. Problem with alot of kit cars is they always look like kitcars, generic or fake . They never have the same "damn that's a sick car" feel to them. The kit cars that do look good tend to be the ones like the Ultima GTR or the FFR GTM ones that are not copies.

Isk[/quote']

They never look right.

Those were pics of the real car in the ad, i hope people don't think it's done...

If you ever get the chance to drive a Cobra Kit car, You may very well change your mind on doing a Shelby.

Recently I got to drive one. This is one of my "must have" cars and the car was a factory five kit, done up with high end parts. I was so disappointed that the owner saw it on my face. I tried to mask my disappointment, but I think he could tell.

What did I not like? The car rode horribly, had poor braking, and the suspension and steering were vague at best. I was not impressed. Sure, it went fast in a straight line, but handling was non-existant. Truly a disappointing "dream come true" for sure!

Mike :cool:

Guest 73Turbo240z
If you ever get the chance to drive a Cobra Kit car' date=' You may very well change your mind on doing a Shelby.

Recently I got to drive one. This is one of my "must have" cars and the car was a factory five kit, done up with high end parts. I was so disappointed that the owner saw it on my face. I tried to mask my disappointment, but I think he could tell.

What did I not like? The car rode horribly, had poor braking, and the suspension and steering were vague at best. I was not impressed. Sure, it went fast in a straight line, but handling was non-existant. Truly a disappointing "dream come true" for sure!

Mike :cool:[/quote']

do you know off hand if he had the car dialed in though? expensive parts do nothing when there not tweaked right, i know i'd be crushed to go through all the work and have a car thats a turd in the bends...

Guest shiftbmw

Why would anyone want a car that looks like an enzo and performs like crap?

Not only do you have a piss poor performing "ferrari", but then you have to explain to everyone why it drives like a piece of crap.

THis guy said it was aligned agressively, and that he'd been driving it on the street for a while "hard". When I asked for the alignment numbers, they sounded very tame... I think he had Half a degree negative camber in the front with something like 3 degrees caster and the toe was set at Zero. On my daily driver I have 1.2 negative on the front, 7 degrees positive caster, and about 1/32nd positive toe. The rear is at 1.0 negative with 1/16th of toe in. That Factory five drove poorly and just was uninspiring all the way around... He commented that his wife won't ride in the car becuase of the side pipes and the uncomfortable seats. I thought to myself that she'd at least be safe that way! :lmao:

Oh well... We've seen similar from the cobras we've done track days with too. They are great straightline cars, but don't do so well by today's standards.

Mike

iscone - I'm glad you said "Problem with alot of kit cars is they always look like kitcars, generic or fake. They never have the same "damn that's a sick car" feel to them" and not ALL kit cars look generic or fake. It takes a lot of work and $$$$ to do one right and that is were most people come up short.

You might consider converting your Z to a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. The proportions are not exact to the original but they are esthetically pleasing and the best part is that it runs and handles like the great Z car that is underneath. I love to drive mine on trips and it is faster than the original as well!

236622_1_full.jpg

Right now there is a pretty nice GT40 kit on ebay on the partial body of a MR2.

That works - a 1960's Kellison GT-40 body, adapted to the MR2 platform. I'm an oldies fan, I like the Dino-inspired rebodies as well (Kelmark GT on a VW chassis is what I'm all about) I am thinking a late 1980's MR2 rebody pseudo Ferrari 308 might work. There were a bunch of Fiero 308 rebodies at one time, but I guess they have run out of Fieros, or Ferrari sued them out of business. I've been told the MR2 handles better than a Fiero anyway.

iscone - I'm glad you said "Problem with alot of kit cars is they always look like kitcars' date=' generic or fake. They never have the same "damn that's a sick car" feel to them" and not ALL kit cars look generic or fake. It takes a lot of work and $$$$ to do one right and that is were most people come up short.

You might consider converting your Z to a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. The proportions are not exact to the original but they are esthetically pleasing and the best part is that it runs and handles like the great Z car that is underneath. I love to drive mine on trips and it is faster than the original as well!

[img']http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/236000-236999/236622_1_full.jpg[/img]

Funny you should bring up the GTO. That's what I meant when I said kit cars got me into Z's. IMO The GTO are kits are the best rebodies as far as donor and body are concerned.

I still like the GTO kits but just fell in love with Z's. To me nothing looks as good as a 240 3" off the ground with some 15x10's and ZG's

Isk

"Fiberglass body's will be available for delivery in 4 months and will be limited. 50 percent deposit due within 4 days after auction has ended.

50% deposit for a kit that hasn't been built yet? And where are the pictures of one of the "Finished" aluminum kits? Oh wait this must be it? Love the high tech workshop, I wouldn't give them 50% of $0.00:nono:

b1_1.JPG