HybridZ

Z32 LS1 swap - wiring confusion

Guest DriftingisLame

Guest DriftingisLame

I am curious about the LS1->z32 swap. I've read every last thread on this forum to my knowledge about this topic, but the wiring issue still confuses me.

Apparently one swap retained the stock z32 ECU to control the electronics, and used a 'painless' harness to control the motor. This completely threw me off. In my last swap (rb20det ->240zx), I used the skyline ECU, and was under the impression that the ECU was in fact an ECU (ENGINE control unit not ENterior control unit...haha, lame joke). Is retaining the z32's ecu absolutely necessary?

In all my expereince with changing motors in cars, it is highly advisable to use the ECU, PCM, or what ever the vendor calls it, thats was designed for the car.

That is of course unless you are a major electronics guru, and have a signal generator, oscilloscope, and a complete wiring diagram for both vehicles...

Even then it is still a pain in the a$$...

In all my expereince with changing motors in cars' date=' it is highly advisable to use the ECU, PCM, or what ever the vendor calls it, thats was designed for the car.

That is of course unless you are a major electronics guru, and have a signal generator, oscilloscope, and a complete wiring diagram for both vehicles...

Even then it is still a pain in the a$$...[/quote']

Ditto.

More to the point, though, the Nissan ECU handles all interior electronics and requires no special treatment in the swap, minus splitting ignition voltage with the LS1 Z32. Why would you want to go through the hassle of removing it when it's doing nothing but making your life easier?

Guest DriftingisLame

I never wanted to remove it lol. Its just strange to me, since I'm using an r32 ECU with my 240sx and all of the electronics are intact. I guess the ecu's in those cars have nothing to do with the interior.

Am I supposed to use both ECU's then? Leave the z32 alone (other than the ignition), and just pop the LS1 ECU in there too?

This is begginning to sound a lot easier than I predicted.

Guest DriftingisLame

One more quick question - Does the t5 trans bolt right up to the LS1?

I'm starting to think that the t5 would fit my power goals, be easier to fit (less firewall modification), significantly lighter and much less expensive.