HybridZ

5.3 Vortec or LT1

So I should look for a 5.3 out of a GM SUV instead of a 1500 Silverado/GMC iron block 5.3?

Will I still have to swap oil pans and intake manifolds to fit in the Z?

i believe the iron block is about 79 lbs more than the aluminum (ls1) block according to my engine manual (ill have to double check that). the aluminum 5.3l engines are pritty hard to find and when you do are rather expensive (still less than an ls1). i would just go with an iron block. they are easy to find and very cheap' date=' iv seen them for less than $700 with 50k miles. i even had a guy quote me for $1200 for the engine and trans combo with similar mileage. im going with an iron block because im gunna turbo it sooner or later.

you could maybe fit it in but i would swap the oil pan atleast because of ground clearence.

Do you think going this route with an aluminum 5.3 and finding and mating a T56 is less expensive and easier to obtain that a LS1/T56 combo intact?

much cheaper

The aluminum 5.3 stock already has the same horsepower as a stock 95 LT1 out of a Camaro but with a better future correct?

if you bore out an lm7 you can use ls1 internals, i have confirmed this with people on the ls1tech forums. the rods and crank in an lm7 are exactly the same rods and crank in the ls1. the only diffrence is block material and bore of the block (and obviously the intake, waterpump, and oil pan).

You can get a 5.3 or 6.0 complete pullout for $1,500. There is not a big demand for them since the motors are getting 200.000+ miles on them changing the oil and with just a fresh set of plugs every 90.000 miles. Well I guess after 180,000 miles you might change them sooner.

http://www.car-part.com/

Look at chevy/gm truck then pick 5.3 or 6.0 or you can get the Escalade/Denali motor.

You can get a 5.3 or 6.0 complete pullout for $1' date='500. There is not a big demand for them since the motors are getting 200.000+ miles on them changing the oil and with just a fresh set of plugs every 90.000 miles. Well I guess after 180,000 miles you might change them sooner.

http://www.car-part.com/

Look at chevy/gm truck then pick 5.3 or 6.0 or you can get the Escalade/Denali motor.

not only that but there are sooooooo many. think about it, they put them in everything, avalanches, silverados, suburbans, tahoes, elcalades, even work vans i think....the list goes on....i mean how many suburbans and silverado's do you see a day...when compared to ls1 powered cars.

You guys are starting to talk me back into going this route again instead of an LT1/T56. If what you are saying is that it is about the same price or even cheaper to go this route. So find me a good 5.3 or 6.0 Vortec truck engine and then find a T56. Then buy an LS1 intake manifold form somebody and a F body oil pan and I am set to go?? do I need anything else? will the Vortec throttle body work on the LS1 manifold or do I need the LS1 manifold

complete with the throttle body?

About the water pump mod mentioned by Jonus, I don't weld is there another solution around the water pump? also I would like to keep the AC in the car as it is working great right now. replace my Z compressor for a GM unit and try to find R-12 to refill the system?