HybridZ

5.3 Vortec or LT1

A couple of questions really, I was considering going with an LT1/T56 combo from a 95 Camaro/Firebird but have been reading other posts. What intrigued me was the Chevy 5.3 liter Vortec engine. I have one in my 2000 Silverado Z71 pick-up with 114,000 miles and no problems, it does have that annoying piston slap when first started on cold New England mornings but goes away in a few minutes, I was told this was normal becasue of the aluminum/cast iron difference. How does this engine compare to an LT1 power wise and does it have the same SBC mounting points or does it have the same points as an LS1 block. Would I need John's mounts or JTR mounts? I have searched and seem more confused on LT!'s especially the Iron head Impala VS the aluminum head Camaro/Firbird. Some say that the iron heads flow better as they are actually a newer design similar to the 5.3 Vortec heads so if you had a choice which engine would you go with, the LT1 from a 95 Camaro/ Firebird or a LT1 from an Impala with Iron heads, or the lighter 2000 5.3 multi port Vortec from a Chevy truck? What other cars can the 5.3 vortec be found in besides the new SS Impala

I think the 5.3 would be a great swap for a Z. I am also a fan of the LT1 and have both an iron head an aluminum head version.

My first choice would be the LT1/T56 combo from a Z/28 or Trans AM/Formula. I would buy the whole car wrecked and then dump what was left when I was finished. But if I had to buy motor and trans separate, I would do the 5.3. It has the same mounts as an LS1. A cam and rocker swap should get you more power than the LT1 with significanltly more mods.

The 5.3 should be cheap compared to an LS1, probably compareable in price to the LT1, but you should be able to find a low mileage one from a pickup wreck much easier than getting a low mileage LT1.

One thing to consider when choosing which engine/transmission you want is the ease and/or cost of the swap. The LT1 engine works with the same mounts as any other sbc (you can use the JTR kit). Since the Vortec mounts the same as an LS1 you would need to use a different setup. You can get an installation kit from John's Cars or make your own if you have the time and fabrication skills.

The one problem I would have with a 5.3 is none of them came with a manual transmission from the factory. Of course you could back fit everything to swap from an auto to manual, but seems like costs start to really mount when you do something like that.

There is something to be said for getting everything you want in one package from the get go.

Actually, many of them have manual trans in pickups. It is just not appropriate for installation in a car, too big, too tall, shifter in wrong spot.

Which is my point above, that if you can get a complete LT1 with trans, that is the way to go, at least for me. But if you are buying the trans separately and having to piecemeal the whole thing together, the later model motor is much more intriguing IMO.

a 2000 vortech is much much much (totaly) diffrent from a 1997 Vortech truck motor...

the LSx based truck motors are infinately better than the older vortechs. LT1 would produce decent power (and yes the iron LT1 heads from Caprices are better) but the 5.3 and all the other motors have tons more potential... cam only (also headers) with an auto you would have 350rwhp easy..

Boy this thread is starting to get interesting... So the LT1/T56 Pros:

Easy to find complete from a Camaro/Firebird wreck

Uses standard JTR mounts, Tons of swaps already done on this site and plenty of support available from all the awesome members on this site!!!

Cons: Optispark, bad flowing heads, expensive speedometer hook-up

SS Impala Iron heads better but no Standard trans available as a complete unit.

2000 5.3 Vortec Pros:

More power available with cheap mods, cheaper initial cost in wrecking yard, Better ignition system. Lighter weight?

Cons:

Finding one with a manual transmission that will fit in the 280Z shell.

Uses more expensive John's mounting system brackets for LSX motors

Possibly too tall for hood to close???

What manual transmissions came with these 5.3 truck engines, does the 5.3 engine come in any cars with a manual Tranny?

What would I need to mate a T56 to the 5.3 Vortec

I can't find it now but read a thread somewhere that the Manual truck tranny is angled and the shifter would not fit right???

Would like to shop around New England wrecking yards for the best most complete combo package intact or easy to put together engine/manual Tranny combos cheap if possible. Am I dreaming???

you could always buy a trans sperate.

as for not fitting under the hood, you put an LS6 intake on it and it will fit no problem.

LT1 is a decent motor but its time is up... you arent going to see the same developments as you are going to see witht he LSx motors.. LSx motor developemt is just staring to take off. its like the transition from flathead Ford V8s to OHV SBCs.. flathead and SBC initialy had diffrent goods/bads but if you stuck with the older tech you would deffinatly regret it in the long run

as for not fitting under the hood, you put an LS6 intake on it and it will fit no problem.

That is a loaded answer. It takes quite a bit to put an LS1/LS6 intake on the 5.3... Mods to the water pump, fuel injection loop, and I still do not like how close the heater hose is to the throttle body linkage.

You also have to lose the engine driven fan... The LS6 intake won't clear it...

You also need to find an F-car oil pan. The truck sump is like 8" deep, and would hang way down in the breeze...

I looked very closely at putting in an LR4 (4.8L) in my Z, but after adding up all the extra, plus modifications, it is actually no more expensive to put in a LS2 Corvette motor... :mrgreen:

Guess which one I am working towards...

OK, now that we have decided that the 5.3 Vortec cast iron block/aluminum head (LM7 and L33???) truck engine would require too many modifications how about the LM4 which I think is an all aluminum version of the Vortec 5300 family?? Does it require the same modifications?

What abot the Vortec 5700 family which includes the L31, LM7, and LQ4 are any of these a good candidate and comparable in cost to an LT1? They were in the 96-2003 Express/Sonoma Vans (L31) 96-98 C/K series trucks (LM7)

Are LT4's hard to find and expensive? how about LT5's from 1990-1995??

I am trying to find the best bang for the buck using the cost of a low mileage used LT1 as the max dollar amount to spend. The LT1 gives me 285HP stock MY second criteria is a manual trans either a WCT5 or a T56 either available as an existing engine trans combo or a relatively easy as in painless mating of the two.

I am really interested in everyones opinions and thoughts on cost VS horsepower VS ease of installation.

Thanks,

Greg

Did the originial 1970 LT-1 engine really put out 370HP?? I was looking up small blocks and was amazed at some of the numbers on those old engines!

LT4s would be difficult to come buy and kinda pricey yes... LT5s.... talking a 20k motor there..

still think you would be MUCH happier with an LSx motor than an LT1 or older vortech..

I agree with that, by the time you modify a SBC to reach the performance level of the LS1 then you might as well have gone that route. LS1Tech had a 2000 LS1/T56 drivetrain for around the 3500 dollar mark the other day. Just keep your eyes open and you can find a deal.

the 5.3 will bolt up to the t56, it is the same block as the 6.0 that is in the vette. I just goot done doing the swap on my truck. if you look for the 5.3 that was out of the SSR or the suv's they have the alluminum heads and block. they are the easyest motors to work on Parts are cheap, and in a small z they will get good mpg.

So I should look for a 5.3 out of a GM SUV instead of a 1500 Silverado/GMC iron block 5.3?

Will I still have to swap oil pans and intake manifolds to fit in the Z?

A T56 will bolt right up and no problem with the shifter?

Do you think going this route with an aluminum 5.3 and finding and mating a T56 is less expensive and easier to obtain that a LS1/T56 combo intact?

Stock 5.3 out of and SUV how much horsepower am I giving away to an LS1?

The aluminum 5.3 stock already has the same horsepower as a stock 95 LT1 out of a Camaro but with a better future correct?

just buy an LS1 F body motor and trans, it would be cheaper than piecing together something else. because you arent wanting to make HUGE hp any 98-02 motor would be fine for your needs (for higher hp applications where you are trying to spin to 7k 98 and 99 motors dont have the oil return for that and spin bearings) get a cam that makes all its hp before 6500 and you will be fine. a 98 motor and trans could be had for 1500-2500 depending on condition. and with a mild cam you would still be looking at 400+ crank hp with "bolt ons"

So it is boiling down to this, An LS1/T56 combo preferably a 2000-2002 at the right price instead of a 98-99 or settle for a 98-99 LS1/T56 if the price is even better. As a last resort a 95 LT1/T56 combo, I have to start searching local New England junkyards for going prices.

At what mileage should I not consider an LS1? Over 100K? Over 150K?

At what point will I have to refresh or rebuild an LS1 What about Mileage on an LT1, the same?

Thanks,

Greg

i have a former indiana state police car with 145,000 miles on it, it ran a 13.2 @ 104.5 with only LS6 intake. bottom end of the LS1 pretty much never wears out, only valve train, which if you have the heads off you should think about replacing lifters if you are wanting to go with a big cam on a high mile motor

• 3 weeks later...