HybridZ

t5s and aluminum flywheels?

Im lookin to buy an aluminum flywheel for my combo.

I plan on running a world class t5.

Do t-5s use 168 , or 153 flywheels?

I hear aluminum flywheels make the motor drop in RPMs pretty fast un between shifts, how is this for daily driving.

Im trying to build a mild motor, that will rap up very fast, for a daily driver.

Does the rapid decrease in RPMs make for jerky shifts?

I know that guy! i bought my super t-10 with a 3.42 first gear.

I picked it up from his house/shop, cool dude. Hes at all the swap meets down here.

Thanks!

If you have the later SBC Chevy had a 15# steel in the HO Camaros. If you have the earlier the aftermarket has them for $135. Sure beats AL prices. Check www.KajunJon.com

Actually, there's a 2 pc seal 15 lb nodular iron flywheel from Chevy. I don't have the part number handy though. That's the one I use.

With a 10.5" clutch hat, it's a "bit" light, but I don't find it that bad. With a lumpy cam, it just takes getting used to, when taking off from a stop. Rev it a bit and slip the clutch a bit is all that's needed. Nothing that's going to severely limit clutch life or overheat anything.

Go with a 153 flywheel. That allows you to go with a smaller bell housing that will make it easier to fit without

bumping the tunnel sheetmetal, and also allows more room for exhaust.

I'm getting ready to buy the Sonic 24 lb bellhousing, made small for better ground clearance, etc. Must use 153 tooth flywheel with it:

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=273&m=d

Coleman has it for $334

http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_390&products_id=10112

Cheers,

Pete

Actually' date=' there's a 2 pc seal 15 lb nodular iron flywheel from Chevy. I don't have the part number handy though. That's the one I use.

Cheers,

Pete[/quote']

I think it is 14085720 for 2 piece

14088646 fo 1 piece but confirm #s. Revs super fast. Fun to drive in a light car. Have #s for bell housing, fork, bearing,just about anything to do with T5s or aftermarket T56 John

Actually' date=' there's a 2 pc seal 15 lb nodular iron flywheel from Chevy. I don't have the part number handy though. That's the one I use.

With a 10.5" clutch hat, it's a "bit" light, but I don't find it that bad. With a lumpy cam, it just takes getting used to, when taking off from a stop. Rev it a bit and slip the clutch a bit is all that's needed. Nothing that's going to severely limit clutch life or overheat anything.

Go with a 153 flywheel. That allows you to go with a smaller bell housing that will make it easier to fit without

bumping the tunnel sheetmetal, and also allows more room for exhaust.

I'm getting ready to buy the Sonic 24 lb bellhousing, made small for better ground clearance, etc. Must use 153 tooth flywheel with it:

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=273&m=d

Coleman has it for $334

http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_390&products_id=10112

Cheers,

Pete

WHhat size bell housings do the t5 come with stock. im not trying to buy a new one.

Is a clutch hat a word for bellhousing, haha?

thanks guys, lots of great, money saving info

Here they are (the Chevy ones):

pre-86 SBC 15lb flywheel:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/884/products/2118/1985-Earlier-SBC-BBC-Nodular-Iron-Lightweight-Flywheel-12-3-4-in.htm

post-85 SBC 15lb flywheel:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/884/products/8202/1986-Up-SB-Chevy-Nodular-Iron-Lightweight-Flywheel-12-3-4-in.htm

As usual' date=' the old SBC stuff is DIRT CHEAP.[/quote']

Pete, I picked up a 153 tooth flywheel from a wrecking yard for my '77 SBC engine, but it does not look anything like the pre '86 one Scoggin offers. I'm assuming that this is from a later block then? It seems to bolt up just fine to my engine soooo does this mean I can't use it? I'm not sure of what to look for in the inherent differences. Crud, I didn't even know there were differences. I have a WC T5 that I'll be using.

davy

Guest Phil1934

The old engines had an odd shaped crank flange, the new ones are smaller and round. If it fit, it'll work as the newer flywheels have a smaller diameter receiving indent. The stock T5 housing is a little small for the big flywheel, but it can fit with a little grinder work. Best to stick with 153 tooth.

The old engines had an odd shaped crank flange, the new ones are smaller and round. If it fit, it'll work as the newer flywheels have a smaller diameter receiving indent. The stock T5 housing is a little small for the big flywheel, but it can fit with a little grinder work. Best to stick with 153 tooth.

Perfect, just in the info i was wanting.

The rest is awesome, and save me boocoos of money on an aluminum flywheel.

So, once you get used to driving with a light wheel, its fine?

Guest Phil1934

So, once you get used to driving with a light wheel, its fine?

Yes. I never did a back to back as usually flywheel swaps came with engine swaps, but I never really noticed much of a difference. One of the mags a year or so ago tested and found the lighter one helped even in drag racing so all the old rumors of a light flywheel being just for road racing are just rumors.

Pete' date=' I picked up a 153 tooth flywheel from a wrecking yard for my '77 SBC engine, but it does not look anything like the pre '86 one Scoggin offers. I'm assuming that this is from a later block then? It seems to bolt up just fine to my engine soooo does this mean I can't use it? I'm not sure of what to look for in the inherent differences. Crud, I didn't even know there were differences. I have a WC T5 that I'll be using.

davy[/quote']

Davy, the one you got in the junkyard is probably the "standard weight" unit, near 30 lbs if I recall. The 15lb is hollowed out on the back side (what you see in the SD website picture).

So' date=' once you get used to driving with a light wheel, its fine?

Yes. I never did a back to back as usually flywheel swaps came with engine swaps, but I never really noticed much of a difference. One of the mags a year or so ago tested and found the lighter one helped even in drag racing so all the old rumors of a light flywheel being just for road racing are just rumors.[/quote']

I had no problems with it really. Just takes some getting used to.

• 4 months later...

Has anybody had any experience with or know anything about this 153 tooth flywheel on ebay? It seems like it would work well with my 327/T5 combo but I would like to be sure before bidding.

Thanks!